Windy Welly ??

Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Richard H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Windy Welly ??

Everyone goes on about how windy Wellington is but are some areas more windy than others !?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:33 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windy Welly ??

If it has a view it is likely to be windy.

On the plus side you dry your clothes really quickly.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - some houses get the northerlies and the southerlies and some just get one or the other....I have to say so far I have found the 'windy thing' to be exaggerated and there was an article in the paper last week saying Wellington is not as windy as it used to be...apparently it used to be so bad..they had guideropes to stop people getting blown across the street in the CBD..it's not like that now though...even the waterfront is walkable most days.
Wind is not a major negative against Wellington i.m.v. I suppose the wind does make it colder outside though. My house is quite sheltered though.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard H
Everyone goes on about how windy Wellington is but are some areas more windy than others !?
Yeah it can be pretty windy at times, but I think the city and south is far worse - further north it is nowhere near as bad generally, except on the hills.

Consider that the weather generally in the Welington region can be pretty local - Island Bay, Newlands, Karori, Upper Hutt and Whitby are all completely different!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

No worries mate. Welly is lovely. Strong wind gusts are helping to clear the air - less pollution here which is good. The Only Downside is that you'd better wear hoodies, hats, fleece etc all the time otherwise way too cold

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 10th 2008 at 11:52 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I can remember walking to work using the guide ropes in the late 70s, mainly near the streets that formed wind tunnels coming from the quay. I saw people blown over crossing the road. Up Mt Vic is really windy - can't hear yourself talk. But it's not everyday and it still has to be one of NZ's most lovely cities on a beautiful day. I guess anywhere that's facing the sea, or on a hill is likely to be windy, which is most of Welly.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
No worries mate. Welly is lovely. Strong wind gusts are helping to clear the air - less pollution here which is good. The Only Downside is that you'd better wear hoodies, hats, fleece etc all the time otherwise way too cold
Crapcoffee makes an excellent point...when I visited Sydney recently it seemed quite polluted in comparison..Wellington air (except in the Mount Victoria Car Tunnel and around the Basin Reserve in rushhour) does feel fresh and clean to breathe which is a major quality of life pluspoint for me.
But we really must start slagging Welly off a bit more..the traffic will get worse if too many BE posters choose to live here.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
But we really must start slagging Welly off a bit more..the traffic will get worse if too many BE posters choose to live here.

Good on ya luvwelly

Dear future Brit expats,

This is not a joke. The wind can be sooooooooo strong -----> it can literally blow you away. ... Really really. When I was young, (I roughly remember...) Welly Airport roof was lifted by the strong wind.

hence I would encourage you to think a bit more about moving to Windy Welly

yes! seriously I missed the fresh & clean air So very, very much! while holidaying in the U.S two months ago

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 11th 2008 at 7:34 am.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

We have been in Wellys for a year now and have found that there seems to be two months of the year (September and October) that are particularly windy. But still, I prefer the wind to the rain, and Welly has some beautiful blue skies and sunsets.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:11 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard H
Lived in Welly for a year, Wilton and then Wadestown and on a good day it is a beautiful city. Loved the centre and walking along the front. BUT on a bad day the wind is terrible, we ended up giving up and moving to Nelson which is more settled. Wellington has a lot going for it and a bit of wind never really hurt anyone
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

: When I was young, (I roughly remember...) Welly Airport roof was lifted by the strong wind.
Thats right, those bits of corrugated iron held down by a few nails blew right off!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:53 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I can remember walking to work using the guide ropes in the late 70s, mainly near the streets that formed wind tunnels coming from the quay. I saw people blown over crossing the road. Up Mt Vic is really windy - can't hear yourself talk. But it's not everyday and it still has to be one of NZ's most lovely cities on a beautiful day. I guess anywhere that's facing the sea, or on a hill is likely to be windy, which is most of Welly.
A girlfriend and I were laughing one day at our husbands who are both from Wellington - they walk with a sort of 'lean forward' gait from their years of facing into a wind
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:56 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Its beanie town, if you wear a hat with a brim or a peak you are going to be chasing it down the road! The air quality is really good, being by the sea its especially good for asthmatics