Windy New Zealand

Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:59 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Windy New Zealand

For those who have visited or are there.

I have been whatching "Get (+got) a new life" and in virtually every shot its windy.

Is it always that way?

Jack
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

Just in Wellington, that must be the windiest city I have ever been to everytime I visit it is blowing a gale!! The other week we had to circle the airport for ages because the wind was too high to land - needless to say it was a bumpy ride!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:06 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

What part of NZ you in mate?

We are thinking of Tauranga or Whangarei
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

I'm in Auckland, but looking to move to Christchurch, not been to Tauranga and only passed through Whangarei - that seemed quite nice and is close to Bay of Islands which is a great spot to spend the weekend!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:11 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Copperben
I'm in Auckland, but looking to move to Christchurch, not been to Tauranga and only passed through Whangarei - that seemed quite nice and is close to Bay of Islands which is a great spot to spend the weekend!
Its quite hard to find out that much about Whangarei.

Would you live there?

Jack
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

mmmm in a word no! I'm not a great fan of small towns, my ideal place to live would be in a rural community but close to a large town/city ie hence moving to christchurch.

Why are you thinking of Whangarei/Tauranga?? Have you been over to visit yet? I think once you are here you soon decide on which areas you would like to live in.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Its quite hard to find out that much about Whangarei.

Would you live there?

Jack
Start here and browse:

Northlands

Whangarei is on our shortlist of maybe 5 areas. Tauranga is also on the list.

Was amused to hear about Tauranga being 'retirement city' - that's us folks
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:57 am
Banned

Originally posted by Copperben
mmmm in a word no! I'm not a great fan of small towns, my ideal place to live would be in a rural community but close to a large town/city ie hence moving to christchurch.

Why are you thinking of Whangarei/Tauranga?? Have you been over to visit yet? I think once you are here you soon decide on which areas you would like to live in.

Not been over yet. When the house sells I will have a trip over to take a look.

Chose Whangarei/Tauranga because outside of Auckland its the only 2 places my wife would get work that fits our requirements. Thames looks nice though, but agian I need to research the area more.

Also I like warm weather so thats another reason.

Jack
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:51 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really know whangerei that well as a place to live....

but northland in general is a beautiful place..... but aside from tourism, and holiday homes for aucklanders, I don't think there is much in employment prospects - some areas can be quite depressed and/or simple lifestyle. People up there would be pretty laid back - you might see kids in the street with bare feet etc - so depending on what you are used to that might come as a bit of a shock.

I'm sure you've considered this already, but it's hard to get a good idea of just how small some towns in NZ are. A small town might be what you're after, but they can be very different to small villages in the UK.... personally I would go for one within commuting distance of a major centre - ie auck, hamilton, tauranga etc. To me whangarei isn't a 'major center', and although it's smaller, I would probably choose the Bay of Islands instead (if I could afford it), or something closer to auckland.

Hamilton isn't windy, nor are some of the inland suburbs in Auckland in Tauranga. It just happens that most people in NZ live on the coast, where it's windy.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:39 pm
Banned

Thanks for the reply Jon.

My wife works in operating theatres and Whangerei/Tauranga both have hospitals. Also the climate appears nice.

I wont have a job initially but will be OK. I will get work once the kids are settled (house husband). Im not sure what I will end up doing, buit it will be for pocket money really.

I do like the ideal of a small (ish) city/town so long as there are some amenities close by, cinema, parks ect.

If you can think of any other areas in the North island that may be of interest to us would be great.

Thanks again

Jack
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:03 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

have you considered taupo?

it's pretty small, but it's a tourist town so it has a bit of life to it. not sure on the climate, might be a bit chilly for you in winter - but it's a beautiful spot, with a huge lake, good fishing, skiing etc nearby.

maybe a little bit isolated - but the town itself has everything you need.

just a thought - it's not a place many people seem to mention on here. not by the coast of course though...
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:13 pm
Banned

Not thought of Taupo.

Would like somewhere on the coast really.

Thanks for the sugestion though.

Jack
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Taupo is really nice, much better than Rotarua.
Look at the size of Lake Taupo, definitely next best thing to coast and hot springs too

If you wonder how I come to have opinions on so many places - on 2 trips we stayed in or near:

Auckland, Whangarei, Rotarua, Taupo, Napier, Gisborne, Tauranga, GT Barrier Island, Whakatane, New Plymouth, Wanganui, Wellington, Picton, Hokatika & Christchurch - Phew!!!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:41 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Ailsa
Taupo is really nice, much better than Rotarua.
Look at the size of Lake Taupo, definitely next best thing to coast and hot springs too

If you wonder how I come to have opinions on so many places - on 2 trips we stayed in or near:

Auckland, Whangarei, Rotarua, Taupo, Napier, Gisborne, Tauranga, GT Barrier Island, Whakatane, New Plymouth, Wanganui, Wellington, Picton, Hokatika & Christchurch - Phew!!!!!!
Bloody hell girl you get around
Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Bloody hell girl you get around
Those were only the ones we stayed 2 or more nights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.