Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Will your Children be Kiwi's or Poms?

Will your Children be Kiwi's or Poms?

Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will your Children be Kiwi's or Poms?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Oooo, yes indeedy, am working on my accent, knowledge, history and taking over from Helen Clarke.!! Why not? Am woman. Am tired?!

I'd vote for you mate. All of us would.

Getting back to the thread itself-surely the bigger picture needs to be assessed here.
If a family is emigrating,not just for experience,but for life,then surely it is to be expected that the whole system and the culture is embraced,in order for integration to be complete,to be made easier.
I mean-aren't we just beings floating round space on a big rock!
Who's to say any specific place,or land belongs to any set of individuals any more than anyone else?
Well,the beings who live there do! So,in order to keep everyone happy,and not to start any ill-feeling, the 'when in Rome' notion is adopted.
You left England for your own reasons,fair enough,but you've chosen to live elsewhere now. Therefore,it is reasonable to expect that your children will 'adopt' their new home as their new nationality.
So. Kiwi.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:46 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We came here three years ago, my youngest just had his seventh birthday and he still has a thick yorkshire accent. My mate who comes from Devon, she still has her accent and so do her children.
Maybe if you come from the soufff and don't have such a strong accent your children will lose it, or else they will just learn to lose it quickly if it is not beneficial to them. My 14yr old is feeling very cool and his female classmates absolutely love him for his british accent.
Hell we are british, be proud of it and don't lose your lovely accents
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
We came here three years ago, my youngest just had his seventh birthday and he still has a thick yorkshire accent. My mate who comes from Devon, she still has her accent and so do her children.
Maybe if you come from the soufff and don't have such a strong accent your children will lose it, or else they will just learn to lose it quickly if it is not beneficial to them. My 14yr old is feeling very cool and his female classmates absolutely love him for his british accent.
Hell we are british, be proud of it and don't lose your lovely accents
My sister in law came here when she was 9 and she very deffinately considers herself a kiwi, would not admit to being English was almost as if she was embarassed?? She presently in Uk doing her OE been there 5 years and hates it!!!!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:41 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

I havent really thought about this.

I suppose my kids would consider themselves Kiwi's. Basically that would pretty much be all they would know. I doubt if they would really remember being British.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:46 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I havent really thought about this.

I suppose my kids would consider themselves Kiwi's. Basically that would pretty much be all they would know. I doubt if they would really remember being British.
Depends on how old they are jack, my kids are very proud of their english ancestory it makes them cool at school. I thought after six months or so their accents would change but it just goes to show they must be very secure and comfortable in their skins to be just who they are. Im very proud of my lovely children
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:48 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Depends on how old they are jack, my kids are very proud of their english ancestory it makes them cool at school. I thought after six months or so their accents would change but it just goes to show they must be very secure and comfortable in their skins to be just who they are. Im very proud of my lovely children
Yeah maybe

Liv is 2 and Plankho is 6 so I think Liv wont know any different and Plankho is a stubborn money so he may do
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Thats real nice thing to say
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:23 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Thats real nice thing to say
Your kids sound fab Sky!! Good for you, must be doing something right in the hardest job in the world?!

We're happy as got the kids New Zealand passports and citizenship by descent certificates through this morning!!! Hurray, something has happened at last!!

Hubby thinks I'm going a bit far at wanting to frame them!!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:41 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Your kids sound fab Sky!! Good for you, must be doing something right in the hardest job in the world?!

We're happy as got the kids New Zealand passports and citizenship by descent certificates through this morning!!! Hurray, something has happened at last!!

(Sorry to hijack your thread guys but Fairy Lady thanks for the PM I'll speak to you later but Gotta take sqquirt to her gymnastics lesson now.)
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:11 pm

And I think this makes them UK by birth, but Honourary Kiwi's?!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

And I think this makes them UK by birth, but Honourary Kiwi's?!

Tis fab news for you and the mini fairies! Let the journey begin!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f
Tis fab news for you and the mini fairies! Let the journey begin!
Yay!!! Only slightly worried ... in the Southern Hemisphere, will their wings be back to front?
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

I just let my kids be with what they are comfortable with.
If they want to feel they are Kiwis, its their call. If however they want to retain their British accent/identity then I am happy with that too.
Me? I will always be a Brit living in another country.
I am what I am, what you see is what you get.
Plus I'd be hopeless at trying to speak kiwi!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rascal
I just let my kids be with what they are comfortable with.
If they want to feel they are Kiwis, its their call. If however they want to retain their British accent/identity then I am happy with that too.
Me? I will always be a Brit living in another country.
I am what I am, what you see is what you get.
Plus I'd be hopeless at trying to speak kiwi!
See, I pick up accents really quickly, unintentionally (something to do with Drama School am sure?!) So my current accent is classless RP (Received Pronounciation - think news reader) with a touch of Brum as been with hubby (Kiwi brought up in Brum from 7 to 24) am soooo excited about getting Kiwiana accent, have been practising religiously - "dick" for "deck" is my fave!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

See, I pick up accents really quickly, unintentionally (something to do with Drama School am sure?!) So my current accent is classless RP (Received Pronounciation - think news reader) with a touch of Brum as been with hubby (Kiwi brought up in Brum from 7 to 24) am soooo excited about getting Kiwiana accent, have been practising religiously - "dick" for "deck" is my fave!
Go to bed!!
Yes, I have no problems saying 'dick'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.