Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Will we struggle on $65K please

Will we struggle on $65K please

Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will we struggle on $65K please

your best bet is to check out the actual take home money
http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/taxrat...etaxrates.html

Then look at doing a local shop. try out New World or Countdown online.

Look at Trademe for rentals in the area you are hoping to move to.

Cost for school. that will depend on the individual school - although they say "voluntary" its expected so might as well count it in.

Cost for GP - again will vary depending on Surgery. Think ours is nearly $40 a visit, and that does include the children but then most scripts are in the region of $3.00. Don't go as often as I would of in the UK because of the cost.

Utility costs. Electric, still summer month cost (this month $109) and gas bottles - $96 per bottle if you require them and the change over depends on how much you use them

Running a car. Although petrol does seem quite cheap you have to have a WOF (mot) 6mthly ($52) and Vehicle Licence ($285 per annum) which can be bought 6 or 12 monthly. Then you have Insurance. (mine was $500 odd for fully comp for the year)

Cost of phones My mobile is PAYG so I can manage it,
House phone and internet $70 per month
TV- sky. basic package ($71.11 per month)

Then on top of that you have kids clubs. we pay $14.50 per 1/2 lesson swimming lesson.
Daughter does piano at $25 per lesson. We were doing riding lessons but at $60 per 1/2 lesson we had to stop them
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:20 am
Just Joined

banski is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou MrsFychan I will get to it now,
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banski
can I ask is it going to be worthwhile us coming over or do you think it will be a struggle, 2 adults 3 boys OH on $65.000pa and I will work PT after a while. I'm so confused with everything I read,
My husband was on that sort of money I had a part time job we have 3 children. We never had any money. We don't drink or smoke and never ate out.
It wasn't a better life for us but that does depend on what you like doing. Our kids were soon past the age of wanting to go to the beach.
Good luck with your decision.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

can I ask is it going to be worthwhile us coming over or do you think it will be a struggle, 2 adults 3 boys OH on $65.000pa and I will work PT after a while. I'm so confused with everything I read,
On the face of it, that's not viable. As someone has already said - will you be paying a mortgage out of that? Where are you going to be living? Our rent when adjusted from net to gross is roughly 35000. Other bills that we have for a family would easily add another 25000+ on that - we get through 8k pa on petrol alone and that's before getting the car serviced, WOF'd and repaired. Auckland is a big place and you use a lot of gas getting about it.

You can do 65k if you are paying hardly anything on rent/mortgage. If you would be, then I would not think it viable.

Then again, if you're coming from a situation of tight living then...
Also, how much would you be bringing in after a while.

I would say that I tried to meticulously plan our budget when we came here and I was off by about 50%. It is definitely more than I thought it would be coming over here...........(I'm still better off, but it is chuffing expensive)
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Decision made were not coming if company are not willing to pay more, so we'll see in a few days thanks for all the feedback my brain is fried
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Decision made were not coming if company are not willing to pay more, so we'll see in a few days thanks for all the feedback my brain is fried
Sorry to hear that but you appear to be making the right decision from the feed back thus far. You can't eat beauty and space eh? May I ask what your partner's job is? Good luck with the request for an increase on the offer.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

As you say...if they really want/need you, they will pay more...Christchurch is hardly the best place in the world to relocate to post-earthquake.

NZ Plc loves conning people into putting all their eggs in one basket. You do right to refuse to be taken in. If you have jobs in UK, stay put would be my advice.

I have had a great outdoors life back in UK since I have been back - the generally cooler weather and public footpaths makes it easier to get out and about.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

My Husband is a foreman working on the roads, they want him to come over and help with the rebuild but we wont bother if we cant afford to live.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hhmm. Job offers are gold at the moment. If you have a job offer, best to hang onto it. I'd also say that $65K is a good wage for that occupation. It might also be enough of a salary to argue for residency if the company would be behind you.

The cost of living thing is a hard one. Some seem to manage. Some seem to struggle.

Much may depend on whether you would be paying rent , have a mortgage or be mortgage free.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Paying rent to start with then a mortgage we will be spending almost what we have got from the sale of this house on the move.
I also have other issues going on thats in another thread, We were so certain this was what we wanted but now were so confused,
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:11 pm
`

Here is a couple of questions for you which may help to get the thought process back on track.

What is it you want from a move to New Zealand ?

What do you think NZ can offer your family, that the UK ( or elsewhere) can't.

What do you think the UK is giving you , that you may lose with a move to the other side of the world.

Feel free to express yourself in any way you like. Be blunt. Whimsical. It doesn't matter.

If you think for instance that Nz would 'give family a better lifestyle' do try to elaborate on that a bit.

Remember we have all been there where you are now and done that. Some with good results. Some with not good results.

Also remember that the forum is a kind of sharing. Bit like having a conversation with work colleagues or down the pub. Not everyone will 'get' what you say or even agree with your thoughts. Others will totally understand where you are coming from.

Out of all that, you may get a 'feel' for what could possibly be achieved by a move to the other end of the world for your family.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:18 pm
`

and you know what? Sometimes life is just a leap of faith. A chance to effect change.

I would not try to sway you one way or another. Only you can decide what you feel is best for you.

However, maybe a couple of real life stories would be good to read.

This one.
by Catchafire.

and this update by Fooferfish. Please do look up his other updates down through the years.

(Yes. I have read the far more pressing issue which needs to be addressed and solved before any such move can happen but don't wish to tangle that subject with this one)
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Furthermore our Leading Hands (in civil gangs) earn $50-$55K a year and survive, some of them even have young families so the wife can't work. Like BEV says it's a leap of faith - but the weather is better!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Hi Banski
When we first came over (family of four) two half years ago that was what my wife was on and we took the chance on moving. We had all the same worries and asked exactly the same questions. On $65k you we struggled but it was doable, your husband will be on just under $1,000 per week take home.
I went to a rebuild Canterbury conference in Wellington the other week with all the main building infrastructure contractors and Christchurch city councillors. They all said the rebuild is only Just starting as up until now it’s been about knocking down! They are struggling to find staff in all sectors so I would assume after a few months your husband will be able to find a better paying job with another contractor.
We came over with one job and have since moved from Napier to Kapati (see our two year update)
Both our kids have got part time jobs, one is at uni the other at school. So I would think you should be able to get a part time job in Christchurch as its not exactly a rural backwater.

Tips or pointers I would tell people thinking about coming to New Zealand from our experience which can differ to other people

Do it you might live to regret it.

Cost of living is on par with the UK but wages are less certainly in the regions away from Wellington or Auckland.

Schools are better I am amazed with amount tax being collected by the government from the tiny population of NZ that the schools are so well equipped and clean and tidy.

Kids are so much more relaxed no big pressure to dress to impress (some Kiwi dress sense is unbelievable) great that they have to wear uniform to school.

Don’t stop not selling the house stop you from coming, if your life works out here you can adjust you commitments to the UK accordingly.

We have found Kiwis to be friendly and have some good Kiwi friends, you must remember it took a lifetime to make your close friends in the UK, it will take time here too.

We have got some great Expat friends who we met here all in the same boat good or bad.

Don’t rush to buy a house you could choose to move like us.

Wages are not all brilliant and expect to work longer hours.

Overall we are still “Newbies” at two years in but all of us including the kids are enjoying life, so that can’t be bad.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

My Husband is a foreman working on the roads, they want him to come over and help with the rebuild but we wont bother if we cant afford to live.
But if he has a similar safe job in the UK, where is the financial gain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.