Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Will I need to re-take a driving test?

Will I need to re-take a driving test?

Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:28 am
Just Joined

elaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really nice
Default Will I need to re-take a driving test?

I am awaiting a visa to New Zealand and have noticed that I will be able to drive for only one year on an international driving licence but that I will then need to apply for a NZ one.
Does this mean that I will need to re-take my driving test or is it just that I need to fill in a form to receive one?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will I need to re-take a driving test?

They just changed the rules last year and now you just reapply to change to a NZ one, no re-sitting.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
They just changed the rules last year and now you just reapply to change to a NZ one, no re-sitting.
What? Not even a theory like what we done bacK in 2005?

If that's the case it's madness...there are a number of road rules..potentially deadly ones (that are not as per road rules in other countries) if y'all get them wrong. I do hope immigrants (like me) have to take the theory. If not our highways and byways will descend into even more madness.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:26 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
What? Not even a theory like what we done bacK in 2005?

If that's the case it's madness...there are a number of road rules..potentially deadly ones (that are not as per road rules in other countries) if y'all get them wrong. I do hope immigrants (like me) have to take the theory. If not our highways and byways will descend into even more madness.
Yes but you could get them wrong for a year without taking any test even in the "good old days".

In reality its a year-long test, just survive that long and you are good to go.

The sensible view would be to study the theory beforehand, take the test on arrival then you would know about those rules....

Imagine applying this logic to flying a plane
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:56 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

You can apply for a NZ licence at any time within the first 12 months, and it is just a transfer of your UK one now. They are thinking about doing away with the turning rule thingy - but I doubt they will.

More likely they'll be raising the driving age pretty sharpish I think. Hence my just turned 15 year old getting her Learner's Licence today. Rest assured it'll be sometime before she's let loose behind the wheel of a car ... Oh, and mandatory insurance seems likely too - thank goodness.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:25 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

I've email nzta today & here is what they said...

To convert your full French car or motorcycle driver licence to a New Zealand driver licence, you won’t be required to pass a theory or practical test, provided:

you have held your full French licence for more than two years (and can supply confirmation of this)
it is current or has been expired for no more than 12 months.

The fee to convert your licence is $44.30. You will be issued with a full New Zealand licence as soon as you’ve completed your application.

If you have held your full French licence for less than two years, you will have to complete a practical test in order to obtain a New Zealand licence. In addition to the above costs, the practical driving test will cost up to $70.80.

If your licence has expired for more than 12 months, you cannot convert your licence. You can obtain a licence through the graduated driver licensing system, and I have attached a link to a factsheet with further information.
www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/45

Please note: a theory test is required to convert to a heavy vehicle class.

Documentation required

To convert an overseas licence from France you are required to produce:

· your actual overseas licence that is current or expired no more than 12 months (a temporary overseas licence is not acceptable and cannot be converted).
· an acceptable translation of your licence if it is not in English.
· evidence of your address (eg a recent bill or bank statement that has been issued to you within the last six months)
· evidence of your identity (eg New Zealand or overseas passport that is current or has expired within the last two years)
· photocopies of your overseas licence, evidence of address, evidence of identity and any other evidence presented to support your application. We will retain the photocopies.

Please note: all documents must be originals and photocopies of these documents must also be provided.

Please see the following links for more information about converting to a New Zealand driver licence, driving in New Zealand and the location of driver licensing agents in New Zealand.
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...w-zealand.html
www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/whats-diff-driving-nz
www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/where-to-go

We will return your overseas licence once the driver licensing agent has sighted it. Converting to a New Zealand licence does not affect the validity of your overseas licence and you can hold both a New Zealand and overseas licence simultaneously. However, if you have held a New Zealand driver licence you cannot drive on an overseas licence in New Zealand.
Same restrictions whether you're a roastbeef or a frog!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

OH and I stood in a queue for an hour (one person dealing with all customers) in the AA centre in Takapuna, had our eye sight tested, our picture taken and new driving licence issued. No re-testing needed, just patience!!!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

elaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Matewx
I've email nzta today & here is what they said...

Same restrictions whether you're a roastbeef or a frog!
Thats great. I've been driving since I was 18 and am 65 now and have never had an accident yet I have already brought a New Zealand highway code back with me on my last visit to read before I emmigrate.
Thankyou all for your useful info. I'm new to this website and very impressed with how helpful you all are.