Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why we are not going to NZ after getting PR.

Wikiposts

Why we are not going to NZ after getting PR.

Old May 1st 2007, 1:55 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why we are not going to NZ after getting PR.

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
So what category do you fall into? Don't say genuinely nice!
I'd say 80% vampire and the rest is a 'lazy-googler'/'nice' mix...
Old May 1st 2007, 4:32 pm
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Avid
I'd say 80% vampire and the rest is a 'lazy-googler'/'nice' mix...
You seem to spend a lot of time on here? Im only here cos im not working and bored. What do you do?
Old May 1st 2007, 6:17 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
You seem to spend a lot of time on here? Im only here cos im not working and bored. What do you do?
I'm on vacation for a year (maybe more).

It's true, I have been on the computer a lot in the last 2 weeks (and, therefore, this forum) for the simple reason that I'm a lazy bastard and this is the first time in 12 years that I have had a PC in the house. I'm like a kid with a new toy, me.

You have to pace yourself on a 12 month vacation......but my forum time is going to take a sharp drop soon when I start doing all the outdoor things that I told myself I would do when I got here....

(Also, it took a while to read most of the posts on this place and get up to speed. I think I've learned a lot...but not necessarily what I came to this forum to learn!......The main thing I have learned so far...Perth, Oz is a total dump)

Last edited by Avid; May 1st 2007 at 6:31 pm.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Avid
I'm on vacation for a year (maybe more).

It's true, I have been on the computer a lot in the last 2 weeks (and, therefore, this forum) for the simple reason that I'm a lazy bastard and this is the first time in 12 years that I have had a PC in the house. I'm like a kid with a new toy, me.

You have to pace yourself on a 12 month vacation......but my forum time is going to take a sharp drop soon when I start doing all the outdoor things that I told myself I would do when I got here....

(Also, it took a while to read most of the posts on this place and get up to speed. I think I've learned a lot...but not necessarily what I came to this forum to learn!......The main thing I have learned so far...Perth, Oz is a total dump)
It took 2 weeks on here to learn that Perth is a dump! You could have googled it and found that out in 10 seconds You are slacking Avid
Old May 1st 2007, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Well i was starting to get worried over the lack of replies from NZ, now i know why. My trade as a jeweller is finished there too. Just came accross an article in the NZ Herald. So it's the last straw im afraid. Enough is enough. I have spent too much of my life trying to get there, too much money and too much greif as well. It's not meant to be is it. Got so close it's scary. But i was feeling worried about risking all again to try and find a better life for my family. I now have the horrible task of telling my family it's all over.

Some of you will know how long and how hard it has taken us to get PR. 2 bloody years of work on the house, not to mention all the crap we have had to put with and all the money we have spent on doing up the house and immigration fees etc, etc. Had enough of it. Too risky, too far, too much of a unknown certancy. Not going to risk my house and it's equity, we nearly did the first time. Spent all our money (cashed in money policies etc) going in the first place. If it was not for the way the NZIS changed the rules the first time we applied we would have our citizenship by now, thanks to them it held us up and left us in the situation we are now. Cost of living there has risen a lot, wages have not. I am not going to go and starve, done it too much of late. Going to start up my old business and earn some money if i can. It's just been too long now, it's fizzled out. Kids are not going to be happy, but i got to be realistic. NZ was nothing but a daydream and i have woken up. Best of luck to you all, sorry we won't see any of you there. I will still look on here from time to time and offer any advice that i can give. See ya.

Oh here is the article i found,

After 25 years Michael Hill Jeweller is to shut its Whangarei manufacturing unit, axing 17 jobs.

The first jewellery sold in the first Michael Hill store, in Whangarei, was made at the company's Whangarei manufacturing unit, but next week the jewellers will pack up their equipment for the last time.

Michael Hill International group chief executive Mike Parsell flew from head office in Brisbane on Monday to announce the closure to workers at the Rathbone St unit. The company is moving its manufacturing operation to Brisbane in the face of stiff competition from Asian manufacturers.

"With all our expansion we have had to constantly reassess our corporate structure and work out the most stable way to go forward. Unfortunately with manufacturing in New Zealand it just hasn't worked out," Mr Parsell said.

"We need to consolidate that function in Brisbane where we will be closest to our supply chain so we can service our stores better."

Most of the company's business was in Australia, but it was also expanding rapidly into Canada, and was eyeing the British market. He acknowledged it was the end of an era but said the "fierce competition" Michael Hill faced from Asian jewellery manufacturers made it inevitable.

Advertisement

AdvertisementMr Parsell said the Whangarei workers had been offered the chance to fill six vacancies in the expanded Brisbane unit, but those who did not take up the offer would get redundancy payments.

He said the company had had its manufacturing base in Whangarei since it started almost 25 years ago and the closure was sad.

The workers, who had worked at the unit for between five and 21 years, were shocked but said it had been a good place to work.

However, at least one believed the quality of jewellery would suffer as a result of the closure.

"Michael Hill has a pride about coming from Whangarei and most of us have family and ties here. We can't just up sticks and leave for Brisbane."
Lenmil that is sad - I would say you've had a lucky escape, but obviously it was your dream so I feel for you having to change tack. It may be hard for your family now but you must do what you think is best in the long run and hopefully one day they'll thank you for thinking of their long-term future. At least you have made a firm decision and can get on with your life knowing where you need to go from here. I don't know if you believe in this but I think things happen for a reason and I hope your life goes well for you. Today is the first day of the rest of it, after all.

Good luck.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Lenmil-really sorry it's not worked out for you all-at least you've cut any further loses,and you've obviously looked in to this move sensibly-so we wish you all the luck if you try somewhere else.

Lexylou-shut up you moaning,whingeing gobshite. Would've pm'd you but you obviously like it up front-so there it is.
Before anyone has a go-freedom of speech-just putting across my opinion.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Lenmil-really sorry it's not worked out for you all-at least you've cut any further loses,and you've obviously looked in to this move sensibly-so we wish you all the luck if you try somewhere else.

Lexylou-shut up you moaning,whingeing gobshite. Would've pm'd you but you obviously like it up front-so there it is.
DannyF. can you please read the moderators post. She asked as I have, to keep this off Lenmils thread. Also I think I might report you for this abuse. I do not think that you have any right to call me names like that. It is abuse and you know it. I stated numerous times to leave this off Lenmil thread.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by danny.f
So...you can use 'freedom of speech' but she can't?

How does that work then?
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:52 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Hi i would like to aks the mods to please remove this post as it is causing too much trouble. I only wanted to share our experiences not to see this going on. Just had to take my youngest son to hospital as he has broken his collarbone at school. A school we will be taking him out as it is a bloody bear pit. I will still post on here etc to help any way i can as others have helped us. So please every one be nice eh, life is too short. Oh and i will let you know how things go later on.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:57 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi i would like to aks the mods to please remove this post as it is causing too much trouble. I only wanted to share our experiences not to see this going on. Just had to take my youngest son to hospital as he has broken his collarbone at school. A school we will be taking him out as it is a bloody bear pit. I will still post on here etc to help any way i can as others have helped us. So please every one be nice eh, life is too short. Oh and i will let you know how things go later on.
You take care mate

Hope the little ones ok

And good luck with whatever and wherever you decide
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:05 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

thats gonna hurt! hope he has a speedy recovery.
take care
ceri
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:05 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Good lord - I hope he's Ok
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:17 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

The OP asked for this thread to be deleted and quite honestly I don't blame them. There are so many inappropriate remarks that those responsible should be ashamed of themselves.

One of the reasons for this site is so that we can share our experiences, the positive and the negative. The best way to prepare oneself for moving to a foreign country is to research and prepare, only reading one side of the story is not the best way to prepare. Of course we can't all agree but, as per our site rules, we ask you all to treat each others opinions and experiences with respect.

If we see anymore remarks like the ones that I have read in this thread then posters of said remarks will no longer be welcome on this site.

Thank you

Thread close