Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why we are not going to NZ after getting PR.

Why we are not going to NZ after getting PR.

Old May 1st 2007, 10:58 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Why we are not going to NZ after getting PR.

Well i was starting to get worried over the lack of replies from NZ, now i know why. My trade as a jeweller is finished there too. Just came accross an article in the NZ Herald. So it's the last straw im afraid. Enough is enough. I have spent too much of my life trying to get there, too much money and too much greif as well. It's not meant to be is it. Got so close it's scary. But i was feeling worried about risking all again to try and find a better life for my family. I now have the horrible task of telling my family it's all over.

Some of you will know how long and how hard it has taken us to get PR. 2 bloody years of work on the house, not to mention all the crap we have had to put with and all the money we have spent on doing up the house and immigration fees etc, etc. Had enough of it. Too risky, too far, too much of a unknown certancy. Not going to risk my house and it's equity, we nearly did the first time. Spent all our money (cashed in money policies etc) going in the first place. If it was not for the way the NZIS changed the rules the first time we applied we would have our citizenship by now, thanks to them it held us up and left us in the situation we are now. Cost of living there has risen a lot, wages have not. I am not going to go and starve, done it too much of late. Going to start up my old business and earn some money if i can. It's just been too long now, it's fizzled out. Kids are not going to be happy, but i got to be realistic. NZ was nothing but a daydream and i have woken up. Best of luck to you all, sorry we won't see any of you there. I will still look on here from time to time and offer any advice that i can give. See ya.

Oh here is the article i found,

After 25 years Michael Hill Jeweller is to shut its Whangarei manufacturing unit, axing 17 jobs.

The first jewellery sold in the first Michael Hill store, in Whangarei, was made at the company's Whangarei manufacturing unit, but next week the jewellers will pack up their equipment for the last time.

Michael Hill International group chief executive Mike Parsell flew from head office in Brisbane on Monday to announce the closure to workers at the Rathbone St unit. The company is moving its manufacturing operation to Brisbane in the face of stiff competition from Asian manufacturers.

"With all our expansion we have had to constantly reassess our corporate structure and work out the most stable way to go forward. Unfortunately with manufacturing in New Zealand it just hasn't worked out," Mr Parsell said.

"We need to consolidate that function in Brisbane where we will be closest to our supply chain so we can service our stores better."

Most of the company's business was in Australia, but it was also expanding rapidly into Canada, and was eyeing the British market. He acknowledged it was the end of an era but said the "fierce competition" Michael Hill faced from Asian jewellery manufacturers made it inevitable.

Advertisement

AdvertisementMr Parsell said the Whangarei workers had been offered the chance to fill six vacancies in the expanded Brisbane unit, but those who did not take up the offer would get redundancy payments.

He said the company had had its manufacturing base in Whangarei since it started almost 25 years ago and the closure was sad.

The workers, who had worked at the unit for between five and 21 years, were shocked but said it had been a good place to work.

However, at least one believed the quality of jewellery would suffer as a result of the closure.

"Michael Hill has a pride about coming from Whangarei and most of us have family and ties here. We can't just up sticks and leave for Brisbane."
Old May 1st 2007, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why we are not going to NZ after getting PR.

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Well i was starting to get worried over the lack of replies from NZ, now i know why. My trade as a jeweller is finished there too. Just came accross an article in the NZ Herald. So it's the last straw im afraid. Enough is enough. I have spent too much of my life trying to get there, too much money and too much greif as well. It's not meant to be is it. Got so close it's scary. But i was feeling worried about risking all again to try and find a better life for my family. I now have the horrible task of telling my family it's all over.

Some of you will know how long and how hard it has taken us to get PR. 2 bloody years of work on the house, not to mention all the crap we have had to put with and all the money we have spent on doing up the house and immigration fees etc, etc. Had enough of it. Too risky, too far, too much of a unknown certancy. Not going to risk my house and it's equity, we nearly did the first time. Spent all our money (cashed in money policies etc) going in the first place. If it was not for the way the NZIS changed the rules the first time we applied we would have our citizenship by now, thanks to them it held us up and left us in the situation we are now. Cost of living there has risen a lot, wages have not. I am not going to go and starve, done it too much of late. Going to start up my old business and earn some money if i can. It's just been too long now, it's fizzled out. Kids are not going to be happy, but i got to be realistic. NZ was nothing but a daydream and i have woken up. Best of luck to you all, sorry we won't see any of you there. I will still look on here from time to time and offer any advice that i can give. See ya.

After 25 years Michael Hill Jeweller is to shut its Whangarei manufacturing unit, axing 17 jobs.

The first jewellery sold in the first Michael Hill store, in Whangarei, was made at the company's Whangarei manufacturing unit, but next week the jewellers will pack up their equipment for the last time.

Michael Hill International group chief executive Mike Parsell flew from head office in Brisbane on Monday to announce the closure to workers at the Rathbone St unit. The company is moving its manufacturing operation to Brisbane in the face of stiff competition from Asian manufacturers.

"With all our expansion we have had to constantly reassess our corporate structure and work out the most stable way to go forward. Unfortunately with manufacturing in New Zealand it just hasn't worked out," Mr Parsell said.

"We need to consolidate that function in Brisbane where we will be closest to our supply chain so we can service our stores better."

Most of the company's business was in Australia, but it was also expanding rapidly into Canada, and was eyeing the British market. He acknowledged it was the end of an era but said the "fierce competition" Michael Hill faced from Asian jewellery manufacturers made it inevitable.

Advertisement

AdvertisementMr Parsell said the Whangarei workers had been offered the chance to fill six vacancies in the expanded Brisbane unit, but those who did not take up the offer would get redundancy payments.

He said the company had had its manufacturing base in Whangarei since it started almost 25 years ago and the closure was sad.

The workers, who had worked at the unit for between five and 21 years, were shocked but said it had been a good place to work.

However, at least one believed the quality of jewellery would suffer as a result of the closure.

"Michael Hill has a pride about coming from Whangarei and most of us have family and ties here. We can't just up sticks and leave for Brisbane."
Big cyber hugs to you. I feel really sorry for you that you had to read that article today. you have had a hard slog but at least there is closure on it now.

You need to sit your family down and come up with new plans. Come and move to the town I live in. Its great. Thriving businesses and I know a designer that would love to work with a skilled man such as you!

GOOD LUCK and sending you some good luck karma
Old May 1st 2007, 11:36 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lexylou
Big cyber hugs to you. I feel really sorry for you that you had to read that article today. you have had a hard slog but at least there is closure on it now.

You need to sit your family down and come up with new plans. Come and move to the town I live in. Its great. Thriving businesses and I know a designer that would love to work with a skilled man such as you!

GOOD LUCK and sending you some good luck karma
Hi thanks for your help and kind words. I can't tell them until tonight. Where is it you live now, sounds good.

Last edited by Lenmil; May 1st 2007 at 11:58 am.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for your help and kind words. I can't tell them until tonight. Where is it you live now, sounds good.
well lots of people have looked at your thread but no one has actually posted. I think that is fairly disgusting. Maybe they only want to hear about all the

''Happy Clappie we are arriving in NZ next week, lets meet up for a BBQ stories''

Funny how your posting about your dream being wrecked has received nothing and a thread saying 'Fun, Fun, Fun... next three words' (which has nothing about NZ) has hundreds.

You are having a run of bad luck and I sincerely hope that life turns a corner for you and you get a run of really good luck. I hope that tonight goes well with your family. I am sure it won't be easy though.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Lenmil,
I just wanted to let you know how sorry I was to read your story. I have to say though that I agree that for you, you must be making the right and most sensible decision. we all have our own personal reasons for want to emigrate, but when circumstances change and those goals and reasons are no long available, then it is absolutely the right thing for you to do and change your plans and move on.
Perhaps in a few years time, if the "fierce competition" from Asian jewelry manufacturers is no longer a threat to home grown NZ jewellers, and you and your family's circumstances still look favorably to the NZ lifestyle, you could re-consider. It must be such a tough call for you after all the financial and emotional investment, my heart really goes out to you all. But you definitely are right to know when to pull the plug.
I get the impression that you feel the NZ Immigration have not made it easy for you, and we too feel like this. There is an expectation for Immigrants to take big risks to go to NZ, and I feel that the support offered is minimal even though the NZ government policy is to encourage immigration. I do understand that they need to be particular in who they will allow entry to, and of course this should be the case to a certain level, but I do wonder sometimes if they are being a bit too particular.
Anyway, this does not help your current position. I just wanted to wish you luck. All the best and perhaps you can keep us posted on what you do next.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

well lots of people have looked at your thread but no one has actually posted. I think that is fairly disgusting. Maybe they only want to hear about all the

''Happy Clappie we are arriving in NZ next week, lets meet up for a BBQ stories''
Hi Lexylou, Just wanted to say that I am not sure if you are aware, but sometimes your postings can come across as a bit judgemental and a bit negative, and I tend to feel that you are always cross with all BE posters (including me). To have a pop at the people that have looked at this thread and not posted is not really fair. I've looked at loads of threads on this site and not posted on them all, and for loads and loads of different reasons. This does not mean that I am a horrid person because I did not make a personal response to someones thread! Please do not be disgusted, you never know, perhaps these people do not know lenmil, or are only just new to the site, or are in their lunch break and do not have time now, but will return later. If we take a judgemental approach on all these postings, we may end up putting other people off from joining in as they may think we are an unfriendly bunch. Hope you don't mind me saying this, as I do not want to be seen as having a go at you, but felt I must say something.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Hi Lexylou, Just wanted to say that I am not sure if you are aware, but sometimes your postings can come across as a bit judgemental and a bit negative, and I tend to feel that you are always cross with all BE posters (including me). To have a pop at the people that have looked at this thread and not posted is not really fair. I've looked at loads of threads on this site and not posted on them all, and for loads and loads of different reasons. This does not mean that I am a horrid person because I did not make a personal response to someones thread! Please do not be disgusted, you never know, perhaps these people do not know lenmil, or are only just new to the site, or are in their lunch break and do not have time now, but will return later. If we take a judgemental approach on all these postings, we may end up putting other people off from joining in as they may think we are an unfriendly bunch. Hope you don't mind me saying this, as I do not want to be seen as having a go at you, but felt I must say something.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Old May 1st 2007, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

you must have been busy that you have looked at my 600+ posts Leighlou. I am allowed my opinion but I thank you for yours.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

you must have been busy that you have looked at my 600+ posts Leighlou. I am allowed my opinion but I thank you for yours.
R U Pulling rank on me?
Old May 1st 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

R U Pulling rank on me?
not at all Leighlou, I prop have about 2000 posts now if you include my previous ones, but you said my posts come over as negative. Funny that not one person has said that on the other board I post on in here. They are not so sensitive about what people say. I talk from experience on a move to NZ and then a move back. People don't like what i have to say, don't read. Its really that simple. I often get pm's from people on here who are too scared to say what they really feel as they will get attacked for being negative. People are allowed to be negative you know.... there is nothing in the rule book about it, and if people coming to join BE NZ and see a few threads from me and are put off, god help them! This board is just a board to post opinions on, nothing else. I don't think you should take it so seriously.

There are some people on this board that are so overly happy/excitable that it makes me laugh but not in a funny ha ha way, I would never dream of telling them what they can and cannot post. I respect that it is just their way of posting.
Old May 1st 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

not at all Leighlou, I prop have about 2000 posts now if you include my previous ones, but you said my posts come over as negative. Funny that not one person has said that on the other board I post on in here. They are not so sensitive about what people say. I talk from experience on a move to NZ and then a move back. People don't like what i have to say, don't read. Its really that simple. I often get pm's from people on here who are too scared to say what they really feel as they will get attacked for being negative. People are allowed to be negative you know.... there is nothing in the rule book about it, and if people coming to join BE NZ and see a few threads from me and are put off, god help them! This board is just a board to post opinions on, nothing else. I don't think you should take it so seriously.

There are some people on this board that are so overly happy/excitable that it makes me laugh but not in a funny ha ha way, I would never dream of telling them what they can and cannot post. I respect that it is just their way of posting.
Honey, you have just said that you think it is fairly disgusting that people have viewed this thread and not bothered responding. I just wanted to point out that this may be a little judgemental and perhaps as such you will put people off as being judgemental can be construed as being unfriendly.
Now from this you are off onto how you talk about your experience of a move to NZ and back, and how you are entitle to be negative.... etc. Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. Do you have a guilty conscience?
I have noticed that you have had a few sparks with Genesis and with LittleToe over the issue of them being happy with life in NZ. Is this not someone mentioning that you are negative. Infact with your spare with Littletoe, you even threatened not to come on this site again because of the set to that you had.
Of course you are entitled to post exactly what you want, but be aware that aggressive or negative postings can put people off coming on to the site. You seem to think that this is unthinkable and that they are people that need gods help, but this is not the case. I can assure you that there will be a lot of people that will not bother, and that's a shame.
I'm sorry that a lot of people seem too excitable and happy to you. I am delighted for those people that have gone to NZ and are genuinely happy with their move. Just in the same way as I have every sympathy for those it did not work out for. I am sure too that you have exactly the same views.

I really don't want to fall out with you. I always believe that a bit of constructive feedback can always only ever improve us. I thought that you would like to know how your comment came across to me, as I am sure that you had not intended to cause offence, just to show sympathy for Lenmil

I have to go out now, so cannot continue this discussion. But, will log on later and will respond to anything further you have to say, should you want to. (just to let you know that I am not running away from you! )
Old May 1st 2007, 3:26 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Advertisement

so sorry that this hasnt turned out the way you hoped , take care.
Old May 1st 2007, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Honey, you have just said that you think it is fairly disgusting that people have viewed this thread and not bothered responding. I just wanted to point out that this may be a little judgemental and perhaps as such you will put people off as being judgemental can be construed as being unfriendly.
Now from this you are off onto how you talk about your experience of a move to NZ and back, and how you are entitle to be negative.... etc. Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. Do you have a guilty conscience?
I have noticed that you have had a few sparks with Genesis and with LittleToe over the issue of them being happy with life in NZ. Is this not someone mentioning that you are negative. Infact with your spare with Littletoe, you even threatened not to come on this site again because of the set to that you had.
Of course you are entitled to post exactly what you want, but be aware that aggressive or negative postings can put people off coming on to the site. You seem to think that this is unthinkable and that they are people that need gods help, but this is not the case. I can assure you that there will be a lot of people that will not bother, and that's a shame.
I'm sorry that a lot of people seem too excitable and happy to you. I am delighted for those people that have gone to NZ and are genuinely happy with their move. Just in the same way as I have every sympathy for those it did not work out for. I am sure too that you have exactly the same views.

I really don't want to fall out with you. I always believe that a bit of constructive feedback can always only ever improve us. I thought that you would like to know how your comment came across to me, as I am sure that you had not intended to cause offence, just to show sympathy for Lenmil

I have to go out now, so cannot continue this discussion. But, will log on later and will respond to anything further you have to say, should you want to. (just to let you know that I am not running away from you! )
My goodness. you must be having a bad day! What on earth would i have a guilty conscience about? That does not make any sense. Lets not hijack someones thread as a chance to attack me. Thanks.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:41 pm

Hi thanks for your replies. The problem i have is that i have to work for 3 months to have my PR restictions removed then i can work for any one or myself. But i have to work for the company that sponsored me. It may still happen but my gut feeling after finding out what is happening there it not going to happen. If there is no work there is nothing i can do but eat it. Not holding anything against my boss (not heard from him) as he is a good bloke and i can't blame him for this. Just circumstances. He will be not happy too after all this. But thats life. If any thing changes i will of course let you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.