why so hard

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

catroberta will become famous soon enoughcatroberta will become famous soon enough
Default why so hard

why is it so hard for electricians and plumbers to get registration in nz , god all the reports are that nz is screaming out for us guys, yet when we try and move out there there seems to be nothing but hassle. if we are registered in uk why do we not qualify for nz . do the authorities think that we are killing people every day in the uk, christ can someone tell the nz govt to get real the uk is one of the most zealously regulation mad countries in the world. apart from nz it appears

john
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Merlot12 will become famous soon enoughMerlot12 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: why so hard

Originally Posted by catroberta
why is it so hard for electricians and plumbers to get registration in nz , god all the reports are that nz is screaming out for us guys, yet when we try and move out there there seems to be nothing but hassle. if we are registered in uk why do we not qualify for nz . do the authorities think that we are killing people every day in the uk, christ can someone tell the nz govt to get real the uk is one of the most zealously regulation mad countries in the world. apart from nz it appears

john
Do NZ trained electricians automatically get registered in the UK when they emigrate?

We have found that there are generally just as many hoops for kiwis to come to the UK as others find when doing the reverse. It is the nature of it, and believe me, there will be many things like this to test your patience. If emigration was easy, everyone would be somewhere else
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:29 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

In answer to your question re plumbers/gas fitters.

Yes, NZ makes it very hard re sitting exams again both practical and written, even though they take your $300 to say your qualifications are compatible - City and Guilds.

But if a Kiwi Plumber comes to the Uk they dont have to sit any exams for plumbing. However, if they want to work on gas they have to pass their ACS just like Uk people.

Sparkies dont have to sit anything here... just arrive, get a job and start working of course they have to prove apprenticeship but no exams.

One of the questions in this years exam for a Plumber was what was the drainage required for an Autopsay (sp) table????????????? Another fact about the exams in NZ is if you are Dyslexic you are not allowed a reader into the exam with you. You have to go it alone, no help whatsoever. That is a ruling that came in this year.

Saying that theres tons of PLumbers jobs in NZ just some hassles if its what you really want.

Remember also that when working on a Limited Licence you are supposed to be supervised at all time.... the bosses in NZ just let you get on with it no supervision.. so the exam is more a money making scheme for PGDB. The Kiwis we worked with thought it was a pile of crap and half of them didnt even have registration for plumbing or gas.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by catroberta

john
Hi John,

I understand your frusrtation completely, although I am not a tradesman.

I cannot answer your question but it probably says alot that, from what we read on the forum, NZ is still quite locked in to a 'chop wood and stick it in a burner' culture on the domestic front. They don't seem to have much in the way of heating systems (those they do have are in their infancy)and as a consequence may be a tad suspicious of anyone with modern skills or, they haven't got the expertise to assess those skills. I would assume that regulations in NZ revolve around different terminology and comparisons are necessarily difficult (eg. In OZ an engine in a car is know as a 'Donk' whereas in Britain it can be known as a 'Lump'). Whenever you get
two bureaucracies dealing with any situation it doubles the amount of red tape produced exponentially increases the time taken and frustration caused.

This problem is not unique to NZ. It happens here too. I sat next to a clinical psychiatrist in the dole office once. He was reduced to seeking any old McJob that he could find until the bureaucrats 'evaluated' his very awsome qualifications (they had taken more than six months up until then). For my own part I have a degree in Physics and when I wanted to become a teacher I was told that I would have to take a numeracy test or I wouldn't be allowed to teach. Bearing in mind Physics Teachers are in desperate shortage and Physics Degrees would not be achievable without serious numeracy skills it is very insulting to impose a such a test. A Physics graduate colleague was told that because he had no GCSE maths and only A level Maths he would not be accepted to train as a teacher. :scared: (he is now a mathematics lecturer at Brunel University).

It must be very frustrating for you. Why the authorities like to shoot themselves in the foot is anybody's guess.

Regards.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

catroberta will become famous soon enoughcatroberta will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Merlot12
Do NZ trained electricians automatically get registered in the UK when they emigrate?

We have found that there are generally just as many hoops for kiwis to come to the UK as others find when doing the reverse. It is the nature of it, and believe me, there will be many things like this to test your patience. If emigration was easy, everyone would be somewhere else
hey merlot i work for a company in the uk and we take in sparkys from nz , oz and south africa all on word of mouth as to there qualifications , as long as they are proficient and capable, so i dont know where the hoops are for kiwis. i hate saying that as i am getting into the mind frame of nz as home and i am not even ther yet. but i will , i am not going to let beuracracy stop me