Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Old Oct 28th 2005, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Negative Vibes.

Originally Posted by kelvynd
Waaaayyyy too mny generalisations and also waaaay too many exaggerations.

It ain't that bloo.dy hard to live in NZ. alot of people do very well in NZ.

At the end of the day a lot of Kiwi's leave NZ for higher wages elsewhere.(as well as other reasons like life experience etc etc etc blah blah blah)
But by and large most return eventually as the lifestyle is better than say UK.
Personally I think australia beats everyone hands down...but i won't go into that.

Here's a generalisation

UK = good money, crap lifestlyle
NZ = good lifestyle, crap money.

We kiwi's....go overseas for a few years - make some dosh...then come back and enjoy it. (another generalisation).

I'll stop now.
Crap lifestyle you say? Where exactly in the UK did you live? Our lifestyle encompasses all that we did and had in NZ, and is much better in some cases! We live an outdoor lifestyle as time/weather permits, as we did in NZ. I can only speculate that you lived in London and mistook it for England from your bedsit. Mate, there's a world out there and NZ is no better or worse. Tell me, if your lifestyle includes travel, where are you going to from NZ every year? Certainly not the cultural centres of Europe. Fact is many Kiwis are stuck in NZ by circumstance and finances. Of course they are fiercely proud of their country but you just remind me of those blinkered provincials who couldn't take any slight criticism of their homeland! Unlike Brits the majority of NZers could not stomach taking the piss out of their own country. Insecurity methinks.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:06 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]
Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Are they!! And are we talking personal experience here!

I've no idea! But I think it was Scottish (?) who said the reason was too rude to mention so I thought it must be sexual. Perhaps not?
Hey PP free internet at works great isnt it haha

so back to what I was saying about why the Kiwis prefer us to you... nah tell you what let you find out for yourself....and its not sexual and no its not becuase they can beat us at rugby (christ every bugger can do that)...

You see If I go down that road it would start a slanging match because as you know you Poms are always right and you all think the sun shines out of your arses haha

ps PP are you from London per chance
Old Oct 28th 2005, 6:24 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scottish]
Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

so back to what I was saying about why the Kiwis prefer us to you... nah tell you what let you find out for yourself....and its not sexual and no its not becuase they can beat us at rugby (christ every bugger can do that)...

You see If I go down that road it would start a slanging match because as you know you Poms are always right and you all think the sun shines out of your arses haha

Firstly, how would a non-Scottish person find out why kiwis love them more? And secondly what else does "Hi Paul, Im too much of a lady to answer that mate.... but they do so na na na na na..." mean if it's not sexual??? I am happy to give up but I just hope it's something much more exciting than an accent!

And what definition of Poms are you referring to? Did you know there were quite a few theories and personally I don't think they've got anything to do with being English!
Old Oct 29th 2005, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muppetking
Crap lifestyle you say? Where exactly in the UK did you live? Our lifestyle encompasses all that we did and had in NZ, and is much better in some cases! We live an outdoor lifestyle as time/weather permits, as we did in NZ. I can only speculate that you lived in London and mistook it for England from your bedsit. Mate, there's a world out there and NZ is no better or worse. Tell me, if your lifestyle includes travel, where are you going to from NZ every year? Certainly not the cultural centres of Europe. Fact is many Kiwis are stuck in NZ by circumstance and finances. Of course they are fiercely proud of their country but you just remind me of those blinkered provincials who couldn't take any slight criticism of their homeland! Unlike Brits the majority of NZers could not stomach taking the piss out of their own country. Insecurity methinks.

HAHAHA - such judgements you can make of a short thread I wrote!

I did not live in London. I lived in Cardiff. I travelled to many of the english cities and also ireland and scotland while I lived there. Also travelled to a few places in europe. I also know Cardiff isn't the best city in UK to live in.....but I have many mates who live in other UK cities and not just london and none of them feel too much different. Kiwi's just there as a base to see europe and also make some money. Not too many stay for life.

You live an 'outdoor lifestyle as time/weather permits'. so that's 1 round of golf a year? I realise people exagerate british weather - but lets face it - it IS sh.ite!

Where did I say my lfestyle included travel? I said one of the reasons for LEAVING NZ for a few years was for travel. I did not say that's one of the reason NZ is a good place to live.

And finally - your last comment about kiwi's not being able to laugh at themslelves is a joke! If you could visit UK as a foreigner you would realise that it is the brits that are like this....I'm quite happy to laugh at NZ shortcomings...Always believe if you can't laugh at yourself you can't laugh at anyone.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

I did not live in London. I lived in Cardiff. I travelled to many of the english cities and also ireland and scotland while I lived there. Also travelled to a few places in europe. I also know Cardiff isn't the best city in UK to live in.....but I have many mates who live in other UK cities and not just london and none of them feel too much different. Kiwi's just there as a base to see europe and also make some money. Not too many stay for life.

You live an 'outdoor lifestyle as time/weather permits'. so that's 1 round of golf a year? I realise people exagerate british weather - but lets face it - it IS sh.ite!

Where did I say my lfestyle included travel? I said one of the reasons for LEAVING NZ for a few years was for travel. I did not say that's one of the reason NZ is a good place to live.

And finally - your last comment about kiwi's not being able to laugh at themslelves is a joke! If you could visit UK as a foreigner you would realise that it is the brits that are like this....I'm quite happy to laugh at NZ shortcomings...Always believe if you can't laugh at yourself you can't laugh at anyone.
Like I said, insecurity. Kiwis love to bash England mainly because it justifies their own isolated little existence in NZ. Where I worked 90% of the staff had never left NZ. And that wasn't through choice.
I too, oddly enough, had many Brit expat friends in NZ and they were less than positive about their experiences. When we left we were followed in quick succession by two other families that had taken the plunge and given it a go.
By the way, the majority of Kiwis couldn't stay even if they wanted to, now could they?
Glad to see you don't take it all so seriously
Old Oct 29th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muppetking
Like I said, insecurity. Kiwis love to bash England mainly because it justifies their own isolated little existence in NZ. Where I worked 90% of the staff had never left NZ. And that wasn't through choice.
I too, oddly enough, had many Brit expat friends in NZ and they were less than positive about their experiences. When we left we were followed in quick succession by two other families that had taken the plunge and given it a go.
By the way, the majority of Kiwis couldn't stay even if they wanted to, now could they?
Glad to see you don't take it all so seriously
insecurity where?
I bash NZ as much as I bash UK
I praise NZ as much as I praise the good things about UK

My generisaltion was (and i stress it is very much a generalisation):
NZ = crap money - good lifestyle
UK = crap lifestyle - good money.

I bashed both places and praised both places.
My preference of a place to live in the world would be Australia.....oh dear, what's that - A kiwi prefering OZ over his on country of NZ....that's underheard of isn't it?

incidently - how in the world does bashing UK justify our 'little' existence in NZ?

Last edited by kelvynd; Oct 29th 2005 at 9:00 am.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 8:55 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=scottish]
Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

Hey PP free internet at works great isnt it haha

Nah im Pompey Born and Bred...why else would i watch our crap team?

PS the sun actually DOES shine out of my Ar*se......my Mummy told me
Old Oct 29th 2005, 8:59 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry Muppet King i do agree ....the KIWIS do laugh at themselves....(they have got such a lot of material to work with)....only joking :scared:

I have found them to be able to laugh at themselves and have a great sense of humour ...the only thingh they like more is to laugh at the Brits and the OZZies.....our weather is Shite .....but there are lovely parts of the UK and i dont live indoors watching the tube..............

Come on then...do the Kiwis like to take the piss out of Brits or OZ more?
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Sorry Muppet King i do agree ....the KIWIS do laugh at themselves....(they have got such a lot of material to work with)....only joking :scared:

I have found them to be able to laugh at themselves and have a great sense of humour ...the only thingh they like more is to laugh at the Brits and the OZZies.....our weather is Shite .....but there are lovely parts of the UK and i dont live indoors watching the tube..............

Come on then...do the Kiwis like to take the piss out of Brits or OZ more?
Put it this way.....when australia beat NZ in the rugby world cup semi's I'm sure the majority of Kiwi's supported Australia against England.

As a rule kiwi's 'hate' australians as much as the English hate the welsh

(but probably not quite as fiercly)....but would still support OZ over UK.

At the end of the day brits take the pis.s outta americans, australians, kiwi's asians whereever. Kiwi's do it to. Aussies do it. We all do it. We all support our own countries and that's good.
But that's not to say we can't take the pi.ss outta our own countries as well.

NZ prime minister is rubbish
NZ rugby team is rubbish every time the world cup comes around
NZ cricket team is rubbish
NZ salaries are rubbish
NZ is rubbish for good cheap access to lots of foreign countries
NZ is rubbish for many things and most kiwi's are not so insecure that they can't admit that just as I'm sure most Brits can admit their country has shortcomings.

One thing I can't undertand is why can an enemployed, unskilled african or nigerian or whatever (do'nt wantt to appear raciast) get into Uk to live but a degree qualified, skilled person who earns wll and pays taxes and needs no gov support can't?
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:20 am
Nice Tats

Put it this way.....when australia beat NZ in the rugby world cup semi's I'm sure the majority of Kiwi's supported Australia against England.

As a rule kiwi's 'hate' australians as much as the English hate the welsh

(but probably not quite as fiercly)....but would still support OZ over UK.

At the end of the day brits take the pis.s outta americans, australians, kiwi's asians whereever. Kiwi's do it to. Aussies do it. We all do it. We all support our own countries and that's good.
But that's not to say we can't take the pi.ss outta our own countries as well.

NZ prime minister is rubbish
NZ salaries are rubbish
NZ is rubbish for many things and most kiwi's are not so insecure that they can't admit that just as I'm sure most Brits can admit their country has shortcomings.

One thing I can't undertand is why can an enemployed, unskilled african or nigerian or whatever (do'nt wantt to appear raciast) get into Uk to live but a degree qualified, skilled person who earns wll and pays taxes and needs no gov support can't?
1) Political Correctness gone mad

2) Guilt over our colonial past

3) Obligations under the european union

PS i dont hate the Welsh / Scottish....but you did miss out the French
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

1) Political Correctness gone mad

2) Guilt over our colonial past

3) Obligations under the european union

PS i dont hate the Welsh / Scottish....but you did miss out the French
Living in cardiff i noticed quite a rivalry between england and wales....but yes - I know most brits can't stand the french.
I'm not sure why.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:44 am
Nice Tats

Living in cardiff i noticed quite a rivalry between england and wales....but yes - I know most brits can't stand the french.
I'm not sure why.
Have you ever met a Frenchman?
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Have you ever met a Frenchman?
I went skiing in France but couldn't undertand them.
I do recall they had no hesitation in pushing in the the queue for the chairlifts....even the 6 year old kids were doing it.
Very rude.
The french blew up the greenpeace boat in auckland.......but still we don't take the pi.ss out of the french.

I guess there's some countries we all love to hate but like them really....and some (like france) we just choose to ignore.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 11:17 am
Nice Tats

I went skiing in France but couldn't undertand them.
I do recall they had no hesitation in pushing in the the queue for the chairlifts....even the 6 year old kids were doing it.
Very rude.
The french blew up the greenpeace boat in auckland.......but still we don't take the pi.ss out of the french.

I guess there's some countries we all love to hate but like them really....and some (like france) we just choose to ignore.
Too much fun to ignore the french.......just off for a 6 mile walk along Hayling Island seafront!

Have a great day!
Old Oct 29th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kelvynd]NZ prime minister is rubbish
NZ salaries are rubbish

Steady on Kel,
We do bloody good fish and chips thou. Whislt we are on the subject of the French (lived there for two years) what is their issue with their ice cream fridges and kids not touching them! We got thrown out of a bar for that offence!
KAZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.