Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Tech21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Negative Vibes.

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Not sure what area of work you are in, BUT if you are a highly salaried contract IT professional for example in the UK, I am sure I do not need point out that you are unlikely to remain as highly paid in NZ, although if demand is there for your skills in NZ, I am sure you could have a very very nice lifestyle. Good luck.
Got it in one (with the exception of the high salary bit), my field is network support, user support, LAN and WAN and my wife is in IT project management. My job doesn't pay that highly either in the UK or in NZ and my wife can earn far more than I can (again in UK and NZ). We have both been made redundant at one time or another me after 20 years with the same company who were bought by a German company and closed down 3 years to the day of them taking over but it did give me the kick to retrain and do something else that I liked doing and break into computing and go contracting. I paid for all my own training and travelling expenses, I did the first 6 months work for no pay (yes NO PAY at all, not even getting petrol paid for a 40 mile a day round trip) just to get the experience 'cause even with quallies, no job without experience, chicken and egg syndrome.
Redundancy due to "downsizing" "outsourcing" and other terms for…we can't afford to pay you so you will have to go but we will still keep our company cars…is now unfortunately the way of most things and as the industry dwindles here and the manufacturing base is moved to Taiwan, India, China etc the only prospects for many school leavers (who I feel heartily sorry for) is working either working in B&Q warehouse type place, a fast food outlet or a call centre, not the best prospect to start out on. Who on a minimum wage job can get on the property ladder these days when a 2 bed terrace that needs working on, situated in a not so salubrious area is going for £100,000
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:00 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tech21
Got it in one (with the exception of the high salary bit), my field is network support, user support, LAN and WAN and my wife is in IT project management. My job doesn't pay that highly either in the UK or in NZ and my wife can earn far more than I can (again in UK and NZ). We have both been made redundant at one time or another me after 20 years with the same company who were bought by a German company and closed down 3 years to the day of them taking over but it did give me the kick to retrain and do something else that I liked doing and break into computing and go contracting. I paid for all my own training and travelling expenses, I did the first 6 months work for no pay (yes NO PAY at all, not even getting petrol paid for a 40 mile a day round trip) just to get the experience 'cause even with quallies, no job without experience, chicken and egg syndrome.
Redundancy due to "downsizing" "outsourcing" and other terms for…we can't afford to pay you so you will have to go but we will still keep our company cars…is now unfortunately the way of most things and as the industry dwindles here and the manufacturing base is moved to Taiwan, India, China etc the only prospects for many school leavers (who I feel heartily sorry for) is working either working in B&Q warehouse type place, a fast food outlet or a call centre, not the best prospect to start out on. Who on a minimum wage job can get on the property ladder these days when a 2 bed terrace that needs working on, situated in a not so salubrious area is going for £100,000
Yes you're right. I worry about my children being able to get onto the housing ladder and thank god we did when we did otherwise we'd be in a very different situation to now. Used to work for Hewlett-Packard and left shortly after the merger with Compaq (already/soon to be demerged, I have little interest so don't follow it all now) as they became 'the new HP'.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Paresh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why prople have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Nice one Jon. Could n't agree with you more. We do our biggest moves in life not only for us but our kids and in general to make a better life. Costs are everywehre. If you live in the Uk its expensive no matter how much you earn - you live to your extremes i guess. I know people earning £80,000 per annum but still have a loan for the flashy BMW on their drive! When thinking about costs etc do what i do. Think if i can take my family somewhere where the weather isn't too bad, food is ok and we're doing it together then I'm happy cos the my flamily make my life complete. Priceless indeed does come to mind........or if all ealse fails use mastercard ;>)
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:25 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why prople have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Originally Posted by Paresh
Nice one Jon. Could n't agree with you more. We do our biggest moves in life not only for us but our kids and in general to make a better life. Costs are everywehre. If you live in the Uk its expensive no matter how much you earn - you live to your extremes i guess. I know people earning £80,000 per annum but still have a loan for the flashy BMW on their drive! When thinking about costs etc do what i do. Think if i can take my family somewhere where the weather isn't too bad, food is ok and we're doing it together then I'm happy cos the my flamily make my life complete. Priceless indeed does come to mind........or if all ealse fails use mastercard ;>)
Your right!

INMHO its cos of the kids that you have to make sure you make the right move...after all .... they dont get a choice if you jump they have to jump too
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:56 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Ha! We are off to watch the All Blacks and Scotland on Nov 25th so I will let you know how much the Scotts love the Kiwi's after that.
KAZ
lol Kaz I didnt say we liked the Kiwis I said they like us pmsl
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:57 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Just my opinion, but I think kiwis are friendlier than Brits. I came from the NE of the UK, renound for its friendliness and hospitality and have found kiwis to be lovely. I think the transition from UK to NZ is easier than NZ to UK, as everyone speaks to you here, where as stangers are often viewed with suspision in the UK.

Gill
Definitely - even the teenagers say hello to you here. I didn't know the names of half the neighbours in the UK, even though I lived in that house for 7 years - been in Rangiora for two weeks and have been invited into the homes of several of the neighbours and had offers of help from them all.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Definitely - even the teenagers say hello to you here. I didn't know the names of half the neighbours in the UK, even though I lived in that house for 7 years - been in Rangiora for two weeks and have been invited into the homes of several of the neighbours and had offers of help from them all.

Would agree that Kiwis are both friendly and helpfull. A few weeks before we moved into our home here were invited by the people we were buying from to a party to meet all the neighbours (a cynic might say for them to meet us) and the day we moved in we had one set of neighbours turn up with muffins for morning tea and in the evening another set turned up with fish and chips so we wouldn't have to worry about cooking.

Would this have ever happened in the UK? I think not....
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herm
Would agree that Kiwis are both friendly and helpfull. A few weeks before we moved into our home here were invited by the people we were buying from to a party to meet all the neighbours (a cynic might say for them to meet us) and the day we moved in we had one set of neighbours turn up with muffins for morning tea and in the evening another set turned up with fish and chips so we wouldn't have to worry about cooking.

Would this have ever happened in the UK? I think not....
Its luck isnt it?.... we had super neighbours in the UK!! Could not ever ask for nicer people... we used to take turns in having BBQ's in each others back gardens or get-togethers for a few bevvys when it was too cold for the garden... We do love it here in Beachlands but none of the neighbours has been to say Hi to us and we've been here a few months now. I made a point of going out to introduce myself to one side as I saw him putting his car away... its just down to luck as to who you move next to I reckon.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:57 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scottish
Hi Paul, Im too much of a lady to answer that mate.... but they do so na na na na na...
Found the reason they like the Scottish...(i knew i would)...here it is.

In the 1840 100s of Scottish people emigrated to NZ and were the first to Europeans to populate the Otago area.....they left Scotland due to two mains reasons

1) the Split in the Presbyterian Church

2) To escape the economic depression in the area

So there you have it.

Apparantly shortly after that the world famous purple Tin lager (Super Ts) took a grip on Scotland and no further emigrations happened......until yourselves obviously
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:27 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

you have too much time on your hands mate haha.

ps... and no thats not the reason. Good answer though.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Am I wrong, but are most of the folk here with great neigbours & friends living in areas outside Auckland ?

I never had probs making friends in Brissol, but after 4 years here can count the number of friends I have on one hand, and Íve given up attempting to introduce myself to people because they're not that interested .... maybe it's just me !!
Old Oct 28th 2005, 7:03 am
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by scottish
you have too much time on your hands mate haha.

ps... and no thats not the reason. Good answer though.
Come on then what is the reason?......PS i do all my research while at work...its not my time i'm burning
Old Oct 28th 2005, 8:08 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Come on then what is the reason?......PS i do all my research while at work...its not my time i'm burning
...the Scottish make good lovers? Or is it even more specific?
Old Oct 28th 2005, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
...the Scottish make good lovers? Or is it even more specific?
Are they!! And are we talking personal experience here!

I reckon it's cause the scotts never beat NZ at rugby and Kiwi's love the scott's skirts.
KAZ
Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:14 am

[QUOTE=kaz Hen]Are they!! And are we talking personal experience here!

I've no idea! But I think it was Scottish (?) who said the reason was too rude to mention so I thought it must be sexual. Perhaps not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.