Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why do so many people want to emmigrate from the UK?

Why do so many people want to emmigrate from the UK?

Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do so many people want to emmigrate from the UK?

Originally Posted by tottefan
Statistically, around 80% of Brits return to the UK from NZ.
Wow, that's a high recidivism rate!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:13 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, my post was partly in response to all the negative old farts that seem to be posting on this forum. My point is that NZ may not be perfect, but neither is the UK at present - hence, the reason why many Brits would leave given the chance.

My post doesn't seem any more whiny than any other I've read on here. Could it be that you just happen to disagree with it?

What's happened to this idea of impartiality? It works both ways you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tottefan.
I don't believe any country is perfect and I want to discuss NZ on here because that's where I am!
I shouldn't have to make only flowery holiday brochure posts just because some folk on here get offended or bored or whatever by the truth.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:33 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Wow, that's a high recidivism rate!
I think it's also a load of Borrox!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Recent polls have suggested that over half of the British population would like to move abroad.

IMO probably due to the following:

1) Parents in the UK are so wrapped up in materialism and buying their kids 'nice things' that they forget that children just want love and support.
2) Materialism
3) The complete and total loss of law and order: around 70 people were stabbed on new year's eve alone this year. I realise that every country has violence but the UK is getting bloody ridiculous - even the middle class and Upper Class areas are filling up with Chavs.
4) Lack of neighbourliness, even in many of the small town/villages. How many people know their neighbours in the UK, or even care?
5) Overcrowded.
6) Despite being overcrowded, over 3 million new homes are being built over the next 25 years.
7) The weather
8) Miserable Brits.
9) Dirt, litter and grafiitti everywhere.
10) Terrible education system. A recent test revealed that the majority of graduates, including at the best universities, can't spell or punctuate properly.
11) Patriotism is lacking/unpc.
12) The government
13) Tony Blair
14) Gordon Brown (a communist).
15) Ridiculous laws.
16) Spitting in the street.
17) Hooliganism.
18) The immigration system - give newly arrived immigrants massive handouts!
19) Terrorism
20) Housing market (so damn expensive).

Tottefan.

typical british moaning, all countries have their own problems (the daily mail/sun would have you believe other wise) again i blame the UK media for this. believe it or not but most of the above problems happen in EVERY western country,its just the UK media make out that everything in the UK is crap and everywhere outside of the UK better, hmmmmmmmm think again
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:59 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by celine_uk
typical british moaning, all countries have their own problems (the daily mail/sun would have you believe other wise) again i blame the UK media for this. believe it or not but most of the above problems happen in EVERY western country,its just the UK media make out that everything in the UK is crap and everywhere outside of the UK better, hmmmmmmmm think again
i think you are preaching to the converted there celine

Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

I reckon the other 20% are on this forum.

Tottefan.
http://www.emigratenz.org/leaving-New-Zealand.html

Please see the above link and discover you are wrong about 80% of Brits leaving NZ. You will see that Brits are not even in the top 10 departure countries. In fact, they would be in the other group with a 9% or less departure rate in the first three years. I think that means, compared to others Brits may like it in NZ.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, my post was partly in response to all the negative old farts that seem to be posting on this forum. My point is that NZ may not be perfect, but neither is the UK at present - hence, the reason why many Brits would leave given the chance.

My post doesn't seem any more whiny than any other I've read on here. Could it be that you just happen to disagree with it?

What's happened to this idea of impartiality? It works both ways you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tottefan.
Yes you are quite right, you are allowed to post the reasons people (or you?) leave the Uk, but the comment about 'negative old farts' I find that being a tad rude to be honest.
But tell me, what are the reasons people also LEAVE NZ?
Or are they not allowed to post that?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Its also worth remembering that people who are wanting to leave UK at first chance they get, have probably never been to NZ and certainly never lived here, so yes, they are going to think it's this wonderful Paradise and nothing can be as bad as the UK?
But the 'negative old farts' you refer to, have lived in both countries.
So, they are in a better position to judge the two.
Maybe that's why lots return.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

& by the way Tottefan, I agree with lots of things you say about the Uk, and reasons for leaving, its not that I don't disagree.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:55 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I was obviously right

G
Geez G, if you've got nothing to contribute other than hassling the author of the thread then you need to go get a life!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:56 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the other 20% are on this forum.

Tottefan.
LOL
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ladylisa
We should all appreciate our countries for what they are and be proud of our heritage. That includes New Zealand to.
Damn fine comment. have some karma
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
http://www.emigratenz.org/leaving-New-Zealand.html

Please see the above link and discover you are wrong about 80% of Brits leaving NZ. You will see that Brits are not even in the top 10 departure countries. In fact, they would be in the other group with a 9% or less departure rate in the first three years. I think that means, compared to others Brits may like it in NZ.
Hey well done with that link!!! I'm feeeling slightly relieved after all the negativity about NZ on hear lately!
Was beginning to think we shouldn't bother sending in our passports for our lovely blue visas, but the truth is out now!!! MOST BRITS STAY IN NZ!!!!!! Phew!!!!

Dave
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:22 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Recent polls have suggested that over half of the British population would like to move abroad.

1) Parents in the UK are so wrapped up in materialism and buying their kids 'nice things' that they forget that children just want love and support.
2) Materialism
3) The complete and total loss of law and order: around 70 people were stabbed on new year's eve alone this year. I realise that every country has violence but the UK is getting bloody ridiculous - even the middle class and Upper Class areas are filling up with Chavs.
4) Lack of neighbourliness, even in many of the small town/villages. How many people know their neighbours in the UK, or even care?
5) Overcrowded.
6) Despite being overcrowded, over 3 million new homes are being built over the next 25 years.
7) The weather
8) Miserable Brits.
10) Terrible education system. A recent test revealed that the majority of graduates, including at the best universities, can't spell or punctuate properly.
12) The government
13) Tony Blair
15) Ridiculous laws.
17) Hooliganism.
19) Terrorism

Tottefan.
21) Get away from sweeping generalisations :-)
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:14 pm
gravalicious

2) Materialism
5) Overcrowded.
7) The weather
8) Miserable Brits.
12) The government
13) Tony Blair
15) Ridiculous laws.
17) Hooliganism.
19) Terrorism

Tottefan.
What people like you don't show is that there's an increased desire to emigrate in loads of countries (especially cold, northern ones). Record levels of people are leaving Holland, Germany, New Zealand, even Australia. I saw a poll that said 40pc of Italians want to emigrate. It's to do with globalisation, capitalism, the internet, the media, unrealistic expectations fed through advertising, etc. It's happening all over the developed world - not just in Britain. It's just some of the British (esp. The Daily Mail) use this kind of thing to grind an axe about their country and their politicians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.