Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why do I keep hearing that the public transport in Auckland is poor?

Why do I keep hearing that the public transport in Auckland is poor?

Old May 7th 2012, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

HPSauce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do I keep hearing that the public transport in Auckland is poor?

We're arriving in Auckland in just a few weeks time, hubby has a job and the company are based in Henderson near the motorway. I've been looking at areas to live and the transport option as I don't know where I'll be working yet and want to try and make sure I can get around, the MAXX site seems to suggest there are lots of buses and the trainline runs into the city from further south of the area, why do I keep hearing the public transport in Auckland isn't very good? What is wrong with it, it seems pretty good as an outsider looking in?

thanks HP
Old May 7th 2012, 8:34 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do I keep hearing that the public transport in Auckland is poor?

there are only a few train lines and certainly not all the city is covered by these. trains tend to be one or two carriages.

buses can be good, though in my experience a bit hit and miss and in order to appear to satisfying all areas a bus journey that may only take 15 mins in a car could take an hour by bus.

ferries are a good option if you live/work adjacent to a terminal.

Auckland is so spread out though - to give you an idea, it is the geographic size of London, though with the population of a small uk city residing in it. really having a car is the best option.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ninja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really nice
Default Re: Why do I keep hearing that the public transport in Auckland is poor?

Henderson is on the Western line (Waitakere to Britomart) with a train approx every 15 mins during peak times (every half hour outside peak)

Southern line is from Pukekohe to Britomart, Eastern line brings you from Otahuhu to Britomart via Glen Innes / Sylvia Park.

You also have the Onehunga line and the brand new Manukau line.

The trains are between 2 and 6 carriages long, but are quite old and prone to breaking down every so often. New electric trains are arriving in 2013.

The signals / lines etc are also being upgraded (ready for electrification) and most of the stations are being upgraded also.

If you live / work near any of the stations, then I suggest that the train is a better alternative to driving (and finding cheap car parking) I live on the North Shore though......NO TRAINS!!!!!
Old May 8th 2012, 1:47 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

As with most public transport, if it matches your proposed journey it is great, if not it is pants
Old May 8th 2012, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest complaint is that none of the transport is joined up although it has improved since the super city shake up and Mayor Len Brown doing his level best to convince Government that it needs funding and improvement.

Originally Posted by simonsi
As with most public transport, if it matches your proposed journey it is great, if not it is pants
For me the 1km+ walk uphill to a bus stop to wait for a bus that may then only take me for bit of the journey before I have to swap to another bus to do the rest, makes it a totally unviable option in terms of both time and effort.

The few times I have taken the bus I have sworn never to bother again as the cost benefit of bus fare over cost of parking is negligible and not likely to incentivise one to make the effort.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
there are only a few train lines and certainly not all the city is covered by these.

ferries are a good option if you live/work adjacent to a terminal.

Auckland is so spread out though - to give you an idea, it is the geographic size of London, though with the population of a small uk city residing in it. really having a car is the best option.
This is not me having a go at you P18PPS - your comments are very valid. Its more a general mindset, especially amongst the locals and S-Africans.

And there lies the problem... specifically this mindset that you must have a car!

Public transport in terms of getting to and from work is pretty good - in my opinion far superior to what you get on average in the UK - i.e. dedicated bus lanes help.

Its when you want to go to places other than the obvious places of work that a car is warranted. Sadly I work with many people, all who commute into the cbd by car despite the fact that most of them live within a 10 minute walk of a bus stop or station. It's pure laziness and all it does is add to Auckland's ever increasing traffic problems.

We have a car, but we save it for weekend trips away. If I were to drive into Auckland CBD it really feels like you're home trying to commute into Guildford at rush hour *yawn*.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:18 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

agree

and agree- to the OP you WILL need a car if only for weekends - you categorically cannot rely on public transport to show you the country and explore.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:20 am

HP - where are you currently?
Old May 9th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Use the journey planner on http://www.maxx.co.nz/ to try out some examples.

I use the bus and it is a two-bus journey to work for me, but they run frequently and the door to door journey takes forty minutes.

One of the advantages of taking the bus is that I don't have to be sober.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

HPSauce is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. To answer / repond to a few comments:

1. We live in Farnham in Surrey at the mo and I spend over an hour commuting each way at the moment by car M3, M25. I really want to get away from that.
2. We're planning on getting car, one or other of us can use to commute and for weekends
3. The good thing is we have some flexibility at the moment, I don't have a job and plan to temp for a while to get the lay of the land, we will be renting accomodation so can relocate appropriately before settling somewhere longer term.

Appreciate your input and i think the comment that says, it's good as long as it goes where you need it to, is probably true of any city transport links.

I am hopefully that I will be able to avoid senarios like the one I had just this morning, whereby it took me 2 hours to do 34 miles! ONLY 6 more days to go before I finish work
Old May 15th 2012, 1:28 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

The Resource Management Act has forced New Zealand cities into having a sprawling urban areas without a dense enough housing to support proper public transport services. That's why the best planned cities in New Zealand are either small or have geographic constraints on growth area.

Well you did ask!
Old May 15th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

To be pedantic, Auckland's population makes it bigger than all UK cities apart from London, in fact apart from Birmingham (which Auckland has about 500,000 more residents) it has almost 1 million more residents than the next most populated UK city - Glasgow.

Nevertheless, the public transport is rubbish if you don't live near the routes on it's spartan network.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that the North to South spread of greater Auckland makes it far larger than London, whilst maybe in overall square miles it may be similar or even smaller.

Personally, I use the bus for travel into the CBD each day and it's wonderful as far as I need it.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by sr71
To be pedantic, Auckland's population makes it bigger than all UK cities apart from London, in fact apart from Birmingham (which Auckland has about 500,000 more residents) it has almost 1 million more residents than the next most populated UK city - Glasgow.

Nevertheless, the public transport is rubbish if you don't live near the routes on it's spartan network.
interestingly enough I didn't believe you there, so googled the population, ... my hat off to you that it does appear that the city residents are larger in auckland than brum.... however being a brummie there is now way on this earth that auckland is as big as the greater birmingham area, once you start to include the peripheral towns, which, auckland doesn't have, unless you start to include the tron as an extension of auckland!
Old May 16th 2012, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

interestingly enough I didn't believe you there, so googled the population, ... my hat off to you that it does appear that the city residents are larger in auckland than brum....

It's been said time and again on this forum and people either can't conceptualise or even want to entertain the notion that Auckland is bigger and more populated than almost all of the UK cities.

For some reason when trying to make Auckland out in a good light, they will refer to some other 'Megacity' that's worse and then proceed to make some ridiculous assumptions and comparisons between Auckland and London. Look to any other UK city and all would be less congested and easier to get around. Places such as Birmingham and Leeds provide much more meaningful comparitives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.