Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why Choose to live over the North Shore Way?

Why Choose to live over the North Shore Way?

Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough
Default Why Choose to live over the North Shore Way?

Curious to know why so many choose to live over the North Shore way? Is it because these areas have been recommended or you just fancy them?
Has anyone looked at other areas before deciding where you want to live?

Tks
Carol
Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:50 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Choose to live over the North Shore Way?

Originally Posted by annaerb
Curious to know why so many choose to live over the North Shore way? Is it because these areas have been recommended or you just fancy them?

Tks
Carol
I went to Browns Bay today and drove up the East Coast road and it was gorgeous!
Obviously my 1st visit and I don't live here though. Houses looked very cramped and tight together with little gardens. However I saw lots of playgrounds and the beaches were fab!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biddy
I went to Browns Bay today and drove up the East Coast road and it was gorgeous!
Obviously my 1st visit and I don't live here though. Houses looked very cramped and tight together with little gardens. However I saw lots of playgrounds and the beaches were fab!
Its quite pretty but suffers when there is very heavy rain. The storm drainage system and sewage system usually overflow and make those beaches unsafe. I think browns bay was closed off completely a couple of years ago. Can't remember exactly though, but it seems to be on the news every couple of years.

I think maybe once a year or so you will get raw sewage all over those beaches.

Also houses are close to sea level to begin with as it is a very flat area. I imagine they have drainage problems at the best of times. This was a common problem back home too, if a house is too close to sea level there's not much run off. Personally, I would always buy a house on a hill (but not too steep, landslips are common here).

I was told very early on here that NZ is prime fodder for a sunami and we all just laughed.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:32 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annaerb

Tks
Carol
Carol,

I believe in real estate location terms, it provides a beachy lifestyle within commuting distance of the city. Great schools and family lifestyle. I think a little cheaper than Eastern Suburb beaches. Very popular with Asian migrants, particularly because of its leading secondary school - Rangitoto College. You will see commments like 'Rangi zone' on house sale details.

Also agree with Biddy's comment, houses do seem to be packed in as it has become a very popular place to live, but beaches and parks are good hence location of choice for many families with school aged children.