British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Who has had a career change since arriving? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/who-has-had-career-change-since-arriving-476139/)

Beachcombers Aug 23rd 2007 12:01 am

Who has had a career change since arriving?

I was a corporate IT sales exec from Sheffield, used those qualifications and experience to get a work permit and subsequently PR. As soon as we got PR, we moved to the South Island and found work in the wine industry.

Mel, my wife was a social worker, now is a vineyard manager, driving around in tractors and harvesting machines. I am still in the sales game, but now sell wine making equipment.

We can not really imagine going back to our old careers.

Just wondering, if you were working in one industry in the UK (or anywhere else) and flipped over to something completely different, now that you are in NZ?

pixi-dust Aug 23rd 2007 12:14 am

Re: Who has had a career change since arriving?

I was a special needs teacher in the Uk, now I'm a farmer! It's a bit of a change! Now my 'kids' are cows :)

brussels_sprout Aug 23rd 2007 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Beachcombers (Post 5223802)
I was a corporate IT sales exec from Sheffield, used those qualifications and experience to get a work permit and subsequently PR. As soon as we got PR, we moved to the South Island and found work in the wine industry.

Mel, my wife was a social worker, now is a vineyard manager, driving around in tractors and harvesting machines. I am still in the sales game, but now sell wine making equipment.

We can not really imagine going back to our old careers.

Just wondering, if you were working in one industry in the UK (or anywhere else) and flipped over to something completely different, now that you are in NZ?

That sounds fun, how did you get the start in your new career ?

Beachcombers Aug 23rd 2007 3:03 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5224000)
That sounds fun, how did you get the start in your new career ?

Right place, right time. We were looking for a opportunity in a more rural part of NZ and a Internet ad popped up for a sales position in Blenheim. And the rest, as they say.........is history! :D

When we arrived, it did not take Melissa long to get work in the vineyards, first as a casual, then a full time position came along. It's a physically demanding job, after three months she looked like she was carved out of wood, but she loved zooming around on quad bike, forklifts, tractors. She has had heaps of training and has a couple of NZQA certifications now.

As for me, I had a huge learning curve to climb, but spending my days swanning around wineries and vineyards, tasting wine, up and down the South Island, it's a pretty good gig!

dlmckay Aug 23rd 2007 3:08 am

My OH went from doorman/marquee erector to plumber :thumbup:

Gill and Rob Aug 23rd 2007 5:58 am

Rob workied in the production side of manufacturing and is now a student nurse.
Gill

MrCFD Aug 23rd 2007 9:49 am

I went from offshore investments to investment trading! I KNOW...CRAZY!

:thumbsup:

karonious Aug 23rd 2007 10:02 am

Steve was in the RAF for many years, then security (yeah, set a thief to catch a thief!! :eek::thumbup:). He has very recently finished his training as a Probation Officer.

weebossyboots Aug 23rd 2007 10:44 am

Originally Posted by MrCFD (Post 5225088)
I went from offshore investments to investment trading! I KNOW...CRAZY!

:thumbsup:

LOL :rofl:

pixi-dust Aug 23rd 2007 11:28 am

webossyboots! I love your name!!
We came over from Glasgow :D

SarahB Aug 23rd 2007 11:35 am

Sorry, bit boring but I went from working for good old Thomas Cook to being a full time mum here..... see, told you it was boring! :)

Paladin Aug 23rd 2007 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 5225491)
Sorry, bit boring but I went from working for good old Thomas Cook to being a full time mum here..... see, told you it was boring! :)

I bet being a full-time mum is way more challenging than Thomas Cook Sarah! Well done you! Treasure it, it goes by in a flash !!!

:)

Dave

kato33 Aug 23rd 2007 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 5225657)
I bet being a full-time mum is way more challenging than Thomas Cook Sarah! Well done you! Treasure it, it goes by in a flash !!!

:)

Dave

Well said.

I miss those days at home with my babies.......NOT :rofl:

Lenmil Aug 23rd 2007 6:08 pm

Was a jeweller/goldsmith in NZ and was going to try driving an ambulance part time. Was looking forward to it too at the time. But not to be. Dragged back to POM land. Still stuck here....for now. Not too long i hope.

danny.f Aug 23rd 2007 11:46 pm

:DI was happy,now i'm happy and relaxed. Same sodding job,though.