Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who has had a career change since arriving?

Who has had a career change since arriving?

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:01 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who has had a career change since arriving?

I was a corporate IT sales exec from Sheffield, used those qualifications and experience to get a work permit and subsequently PR. As soon as we got PR, we moved to the South Island and found work in the wine industry.

Mel, my wife was a social worker, now is a vineyard manager, driving around in tractors and harvesting machines. I am still in the sales game, but now sell wine making equipment.

We can not really imagine going back to our old careers.

Just wondering, if you were working in one industry in the UK (or anywhere else) and flipped over to something completely different, now that you are in NZ?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:14 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who has had a career change since arriving?

I was a special needs teacher in the Uk, now I'm a farmer! It's a bit of a change! Now my 'kids' are cows
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
I was a corporate IT sales exec from Sheffield, used those qualifications and experience to get a work permit and subsequently PR. As soon as we got PR, we moved to the South Island and found work in the wine industry.

Mel, my wife was a social worker, now is a vineyard manager, driving around in tractors and harvesting machines. I am still in the sales game, but now sell wine making equipment.

We can not really imagine going back to our old careers.

Just wondering, if you were working in one industry in the UK (or anywhere else) and flipped over to something completely different, now that you are in NZ?
That sounds fun, how did you get the start in your new career ?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:03 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
That sounds fun, how did you get the start in your new career ?
Right place, right time. We were looking for a opportunity in a more rural part of NZ and a Internet ad popped up for a sales position in Blenheim. And the rest, as they say.........is history!

When we arrived, it did not take Melissa long to get work in the vineyards, first as a casual, then a full time position came along. It's a physically demanding job, after three months she looked like she was carved out of wood, but she loved zooming around on quad bike, forklifts, tractors. She has had heaps of training and has a couple of NZQA certifications now.

As for me, I had a huge learning curve to climb, but spending my days swanning around wineries and vineyards, tasting wine, up and down the South Island, it's a pretty good gig!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

My OH went from doorman/marquee erector to plumber
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Rob workied in the production side of manufacturing and is now a student nurse.
Gill
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

I went from offshore investments to investment trading! I KNOW...CRAZY!

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:02 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Steve was in the RAF for many years, then security (yeah, set a thief to catch a thief!! ). He has very recently finished his training as a Probation Officer.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrCFD
I went from offshore investments to investment trading! I KNOW...CRAZY!

LOL
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:28 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

webossyboots! I love your name!!
We came over from Glasgow
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, bit boring but I went from working for good old Thomas Cook to being a full time mum here..... see, told you it was boring!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SarahB
Sorry, bit boring but I went from working for good old Thomas Cook to being a full time mum here..... see, told you it was boring!

I bet being a full-time mum is way more challenging than Thomas Cook Sarah! Well done you! Treasure it, it goes by in a flash !!!

Dave
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
I bet being a full-time mum is way more challenging than Thomas Cook Sarah! Well done you! Treasure it, it goes by in a flash !!!

Dave
Well said.

I miss those days at home with my babies.......NOT
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:08 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Was a jeweller/goldsmith in NZ and was going to try driving an ambulance part time. Was looking forward to it too at the time. But not to be. Dragged back to POM land. Still stuck here....for now. Not too long i hope.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

I was happy,now i'm happy and relaxed. Same sodding job,though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.