Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

White Island eruption ( renamed)

White Island eruption ( renamed)

Old Dec 13th 2019, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White Island eruption ( renamed)

Justcol displays his anti-NZ feelings ?
Old Dec 13th 2019, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Justcol displays his anti-NZ feelings ?
You really have have no idea do you.
​​I get criticism on here for being to Pro NZ. This place is my home, has-been for 11 years and always will be. That doesn't mean I have to kiss the arse of every kiwi I meet and agree with all of the stupid things they do, and there are many.
If someone is stupid enough to think standing in the crater of an active volcano is ok, they deserve everything that happens when it all goes tits up. If people are stupid enough to think it's ok to take other half wits to the crater of an active volcano because there's money to be made out of it, and let's not pretend there is any other reason behind it, they also deserve everything that comes their way when the s##t hits the fan. However the root cause of this travesty lies with the ridiculous kiwi H&S laws which allow these things to happen time and time again, all in the name of tourism, 100% New Zealand, adventure, but most of all money

Last edited by Justcol; Dec 13th 2019 at 3:57 am.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 4:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
If someone is stupid enough to think standing in the crater of an active volcano is ok, they deserve everything that happens when it all goes tits up.
No matter what your thoughts are on any aspect of this incident, that is an absolutely disgusting thing to say.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No matter what your thoughts are on any aspect of this incident, that is an absolutely disgusting thing to say.
Why, because some thrill seeking idiots didn't have the mental capacity to perform the simplest of risk assessments. FFS how stupid do you have to be
Is standing in an active volcano dangerous...yes
Should I do it...yeah, f##k the consequences and everyone else, she'll be right.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Visiting an active volcano is different, it's a "You pays your money, you takes your chances" type deal. It's very sad these people have died or been injured but I do not buy the idea that people would not have been aware that active volcanos are dangerous. Similarly if an earthquake struck Wellington we would hardly be standing around tutting while asking why people where allowed to live in that city.

​​​The real danger is complacency with danger that cannot be mitigated, I'm not saying don't go and enjoy skiing at Ruapehu but understand that major major eruptions are about a 50 year event. There is a tiny risk you'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The White Island volcano has killed before and it'll likely do so again, it just may take a century for people to become complacent about its dangers.
Perhaps I was being a bit harsh on the Kiwis - after reading this article I find out that they are not the only ones that undertake risky volcano tourism.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-50739545

And who am I to condemn them? I voluntarily live in a city that sits on top of a volcanic field. That field is currently 'dormant' but it is not 'extinct' so one day it will probably erupt again.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

No I'm sorry but justcol is right! If you was on safari and you came across a lion that you was told was asleep or tranquilised would you put your head in its mouth?? That's a no from me!
Old Dec 13th 2019, 4:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So it was ok to allow tourists onto the island but not rescuer's, even though the actual level of risk hasn't changed. There was increased activity before the eruption which raised the danger level, but it was ignored. The situation is comical, shambolic and typically kiwi.
The big problem now, which wasn't there before, is the level of toxic gas etc, which is why rescuers haven;t been allowed on, they are getting some special clothing and masks so that people can go on to look for bodies.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The big problem now, which wasn't there before, is the level of toxic gas etc, which is why rescuers haven;t been allowed on, they are getting some special clothing and masks so that people can go on to look for bodies.
Any fire fighter BA equipment would do.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 1:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As the saying goes 'Truth hurts'.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 5:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As the saying goes 'Truth hurts'.
Yes, I've heard that saying. I don't know what it's got to do with my post though?
Old Dec 14th 2019, 8:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I've heard that saying. I don't know what it's got to do with my post though?
Because Justcol's comment was factual but you didn't like it so I said truth hurts. Not complicated really.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 11:09 am
Concierge

If someone is stupid enough to think standing in the crater of an active volcano is ok, they deserve everything that happens when it all goes tits up.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Because Justcol's comment was factual but you didn't like it so I said truth hurts. Not complicated really.
You're right, I didn't like Justcol's comment, and it wasn't factual to me. If you and Justcol think that those people deserved everything that happened to them, ie deserved to die, to burn and to suffer, then that's fine. For myself, I don't think lack of self care or even stupidity deserves the death penalty or a lifetime of suffering.

To deserve something means that it's right that someone should have it, because of the way they behaved. A lot of people on this thread, including you and I, have expressed horror and sympathy for the fate of the victims. 'They deserved it' can't be reconciled with that. 'They should have known better' or 'they were stupid' can be, 'they deserved it' can't. Anyway, that's my take on it, and it's why I objected to that part of Justcol's post. I hope that's clear enough.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There will be a massive and expensive inquiry into this that will take months and years to get answers but I have no doubt that the answers are already there and findings will show that there were multiple failures around the safety aspects and that duty of care were woefully lacking, because this is NZ and that's the way we roll.

Those poor people did not deserve to die; they were just wanting a fun day out and following a well trodden trail of others that went before them to get the Instagram / Facebook shot of the day and were not fully aware of the dangers. They likely felt they would be in safe hands and that nobody would seriously contemplate putting their lives in such extreme danger.

People specifically come to NZ for 'adventure tourism' and often that's only allowed to happen because of the famous laid back 'she'll be tight' attitude to most things; the big draw is being allowed to do dangerous stuff here that ordinarily they would not be able to do elsewhere. Health & safety laws for adventure tourism only came into play in 2016 after some pressure from overseas parents and families of people who had lost their loved ones to other horrific accidents here.

It seems from some accounts that there was not any serious safety briefing or escape plan and that health not being taken very seriously;

A tourist who has taken the White Island Tour, who asked not to be named, said the risks were not explicitly stated in their safety briefing and it was assumed they were allowed to be on the island as it was safe. The tourist could not recall seeing any gas detection equipment on the guides.

"We were just told to wear the masks if the gas was troubling you," she said.

"I think if I was told explicitly that there could be dangerous gasses on the island and the lack of a quick escape plan before hand, I would not have gone," she said.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/11813...ps-says-expert

I am sure we can all regale some stupidly insane and dangerous things we've done on holidays, things that we wouldn't normally consider doing in our everyday lives; but you would like to think in this day that all safety aspects were rigorous and were well covered off. But that's not the Kiwi way.

Some of the stories coming out don't even bear thinking about; such as the helicopter companies not being registered adventure tour companies and thus avoiding any kind of safety audits:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/11817...sk-50000-fines

Old Dec 15th 2019, 3:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
There will be a massive and expensive inquiry into this that will take months and years to get answers but I have no doubt that the answers are already there and findings will show that there were multiple failures around the safety aspects and that duty of care were woefully lacking, because this is NZ and that's the way we roll.

Those poor people did not deserve to die; they were just wanting a fun day out and following a well trodden trail of others that went before them to get the Instagram / Facebook shot of the day and were not fully aware of the dangers. They likely felt they would be in safe hands and that nobody would seriously contemplate putting their lives in such extreme danger.

People specifically come to NZ for 'adventure tourism' and often that's only allowed to happen because of the famous laid back 'she'll be tight' attitude to most things; the big draw is being allowed to do dangerous stuff here that ordinarily they would not be able to do elsewhere. Health & safety laws for adventure tourism only came into play in 2016 after some pressure from overseas parents and families of people who had lost their loved ones to other horrific accidents here.

It seems from some accounts that there was not any serious safety briefing or escape plan and that health not being taken very seriously;

I am sure we can all regale some stupidly insane and dangerous things we've done on holidays, things that we wouldn't normally consider doing in our everyday lives; but you would like to think in this day that all safety aspects were rigorous and were well covered off. But that's not the Kiwi way.

Some of the stories coming out don't even bear thinking about; such as the helicopter companies not being registered adventure tour companies and thus avoiding any kind of safety audits:

Actually a great post BJ.

Old Dec 15th 2019, 6:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Karma for this post Bo-Jangles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.