Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where would you/wouldn't you live in ChCh?

Where would you/wouldn't you live in ChCh?

Old May 30th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where would you/wouldn't you live in ChCh?

Dezza, we chose not to compromise on the house, and the school is not a compromise. Rangior offers all the same quality for schooling. What we do notice is that you give up on some activities for kids. While our son still plays soccer, there were just enough boys for the one side, the other boys are still playing, but I will be surprised if they win a game. What I didn't like, is that since we were new, it looked like the boys who had played together for the last so many years continue to play together. My son is getting quite dejected and it could be his last year playing. Either that or we pay up to drive him to his old club in Christchurch next year. So, while I agree, I love to live here in Rangiora, there is a trade off on some level of the activities, many of the schools here are good.

On the schools though. Don't get too hung up on deciles. The most important factor for success is a good supportive home enviornment. It is not necessary to go to Boys or Girls High. Really, for the cost of the same house "in the zone" you could live out of the zone and send the kids to private highschool, factoring in difference in house cost and mortgage interest. There are kids here taking the bus into St. Andrews from Rangiora.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:39 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dezza
The schools in these areas have excellent reps and very sought after which I suppose is one reasons why the houses are so expensive. I liked the high street and the proximity to Hagley Park and the City in Merivale/Fendalton but you do get a lot more for your money in Rangiora. We are undecided whether to go for Rangiora which is lovely and has a great feel or one of the posher parts of Christchurch with the great schools and compromise (alot!) on the house.
we have lived in chch twice.....both times mt pleasant....excellent schools and many buses into town for st.andrews,ch college,st.margarets etc....also sailing,surfing,rugby,soccer etc etc for the kids....nice community....no where better.......
Old May 30th 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Dezza, we chose not to compromise on the house, and the school is not a compromise. Rangior offers all the same quality for schooling. What we do notice is that you give up on some activities for kids. While our son still plays soccer, there were just enough boys for the one side, the other boys are still playing, but I will be surprised if they win a game. What I didn't like, is that since we were new, it looked like the boys who had played together for the last so many years continue to play together. My son is getting quite dejected and it could be his last year playing. Either that or we pay up to drive him to his old club in Christchurch next year. So, while I agree, I love to live here in Rangiora, there is a trade off on some level of the activities, many of the schools here are good.

On the schools though. Don't get too hung up on deciles. The most important factor for success is a good supportive home enviornment. It is not necessary to go to Boys or Girls High. Really, for the cost of the same house "in the zone" you could live out of the zone and send the kids to private highschool, factoring in difference in house cost and mortgage interest. There are kids here taking the bus into St. Andrews from Rangiora.
Yes I agree that you shouldn't just go on the decile though must admit that is something that is a consideration. I was looking more at the results of the Girls School in particular as they are excellent. Of course we will visit the schools we are considering to get a feel for them and see what suits our daughter and what she thinks of course. I appreciate a supportive home environment is most important for sucess and different children thrive in different school environments too. I didn't think Rangiora High Schools exam results were as good as some of the schools in Christchurch but obviously not the only consideration. We obviously need to do lots more research before we decide which this site and all the points of view is all part of!!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:22 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
.... What we do notice is that you give up on some activities for kids. While our son still plays soccer, there were just enough boys for the one side, the other boys are still playing, but I will be surprised if they win a game. What I didn't like, is that since we were new, it looked like the boys who had played together for the last so many years continue to play together. ..

LOL! M - I'm surprised by that comment! There are so many things for the kids to do here and whilst I feel for your son (mine felt like that when we were in UK), it's our son's first year playing for a team here and same for some of the other players and YES, amazingly the 'A' team have won some games and last I heard were 7th (out of 14?) in their league. It's not as cliquey (sp?) as you think it is. Anyone is welcome. I do hope your son carries on with it. One of our son's mates didn't make the cut for the NC under 13's but did get into the under 14's as they were a man/boy short! He's finding it hard teamed up with kids that much bigger and more trained and skilled than him but he's keeping his own and learning all he can but most of all having fun.

There's touch, netball, basketball, football, beach/surf club activities, kayaking, horse riding, swimming, body boarding, surfing, arts and crafts, amateur dramatics, brass band, heaps of church organised activities (Easter camp), outward bound type things.. the list is endless.

And you don't have to go to Rangiora High School. Our kids go to New Life (takes from age 5-18), others I know of get the bus or home lifts to St Beads, Our Lady Fatima, St Andrews etc. All excellent schools. Likewise a lot of our kids friends bus INTO Rangiora from the city to attend school.

It's all very personal at the end of the day and I think you have to come see for yourself whether the city or a more rural area suits your own individual/family needs. But my own personal view is that the kids don't suffer any lack of education, opportunity or friends by living out here as opposed to the city. Our daughter gets the bus into the city with her mates when they feel the need for more varied, girly retail therapy and Hoyts and I feel perfectly happy that she is old enough and safe to do so.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, We also live in Rangiora,and enjoy the small town feel,everyone says hello and the people have time to chat and ask how you doing!
Both my kids go to Rangiora high school and the reports that i have recieved from the school are really good(better than UK)
They have lots of friends and like teamembo my daughter catches the buses to the mall at the weekends and i have no worries of her going there.

Helen
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:18 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

we live in St albans (or merivale if you are a real estate agent!!) and we really like the area. We dont have kids so schools aren't an issue to us but we have a couple of places to eat and drink within 10 mins walk and it's only 20 mins into town. I wouldn't get too hung up on what you read about the crime wave in chch. I've never seen any of it (saying that I lived in Newcastle city centre for ten years and never had any problems there either) It's like most things, look and you'll find it!

Come over and see what you like to do with your time and pick a spot that suits you. If you can't find one around chch then you are hard to please!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

We first rented in Rangiora and then moved to Parklands/Burwood area in Tumara Park to a rental property. Now we have experienced both areas and have just bought our own place back in Rangiora. I agree it has a small town feel and is easy commute to Chch should you want the malls etc. Christchurch is nice but pick your spot, have a good look around and get a genuine feel for the place. There are so many here in Rangiora perhaps we should all have a meet up!.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been looking at Rangiora as well.

With a footie mad 7 year old does it have a choice of junior teams in the area then or are they limited.

Also have a 3 year old so is the choice of junior and high schools good?

Cheers for the help.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:41 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Kids start school on 5th birthday, no annual mass intakes.
Primary schools are Rangiora Burough School, Ashgrove Primary, Southbrook primary, Rangiora New Life schools is semi-private Christian from age 5-18, St Joseph's primary Catholic school, also primary schools in villages around Rangi like Ashley, Woodend, West Eyreton. And the township of Kaiapoi is just down the road which is similar to Rangiora that has primary schools and Kaiapoi High School. Rangiora High School takes children from a wide area, eg Oxford, Loburn etc as its a large High school serving the rural area as well. I think it has around 2,000 pupils and is well equipped to provide a good education for a wide diversity of students. It has excellent facilities, sports etc. Our friends children go there and we only ever hear good reports about it.

Footie, as far as I know our son tried out for North Canterbury who have year teams, under 10s, under 11s etc. Don't know how young they go to. He didn't make the grade though so plays for the town team, Rangiora A Team. And I think the other team he could have gone for is Kaiapoi. It all seems well organised with manager and coach/trainer and they have leagues and a full fixture list with home and away games, mostly in the city suburbs. Training every wednesday and matches on Saturday mornings. And parents are encourage to attend and support and take turns to wash the team shirts and provide oranges for half time.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Kids start school on 5th birthday, no annual mass intakes.
Primary schools are Rangiora Burough School, Ashgrove Primary, Southbrook primary, Rangiora New Life schools is semi-private Christian from age 5-18, St Joseph's primary Catholic school, also primary schools in villages around Rangi like Ashley, Woodend, West Eyreton. And the township of Kaiapoi is just down the road which is similar to Rangiora that has primary schools and Kaiapoi High School. Rangiora High School takes children from a wide area, eg Oxford, Loburn etc as its a large High school serving the rural area as well. I think it has around 2,000 pupils and is well equipped to provide a good education for a wide diversity of students. It has excellent facilities, sports etc. Our friends children go there and we only ever hear good reports about it.

Footie, as far as I know our son tried out for North Canterbury who have year teams, under 10s, under 11s etc. Don't know how young they go to. He didn't make the grade though so plays for the town team, Rangiora A Team. And I think the other team he could have gone for is Kaiapoi. It all seems well organised with manager and coach/trainer and they have leagues and a full fixture list with home and away games, mostly in the city suburbs. Training every wednesday and matches on Saturday mornings. And parents are encourage to attend and support and take turns to wash the team shirts and provide oranges for half time.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Whats the score with local footie for adults - are they any 5-a-side / 11-a-side teams going?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:01 am
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by Broaders
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Whats the score with local footie for adults - are they any 5-a-side / 11-a-side teams going?
Sorry, don't know about that. Maybe something might come up if you google Rangiora?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Sorry, don't know about that. Maybe something might come up if you google Rangiora?

Aye keep all the bloody pomms in one place