Where to settle

Old Sep 27th 2019, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Glenn120903 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to settle

Hi all

i am visiting Auckland next week ahead of a planned move in a February and other than one area (Whangaparoa) that had been described to me by a friend I’ve got no clue of any other towns to take a look at next week as possible locations to settle, Whangaparoa looks amazing to give you a sense of what we like ,but I’d like a basis for comparison. Would really appreciate it if l
anyone give some suggestions?

My situation:

- working from home but must be within one hour drive to the Auckland city limits (not CBD).
- wife and three young children 2 in junior school and 1 in secondary school. So good schools are a must
- we want to be close to a beach, shops and entertainment (ideally walking distance)
- would like a laid back feel to the surrounding area but with restaurants and shops. Not stuck too far out of civilisation 😀.

Any suggestions would be great!!

thanks in advance!!

glenn
Old Sep 27th 2019, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to settle

Assuming you want to buy a home your budget will be the main guiding / limiting factor - you mention wanting to be within walking distance of beach, shops and entertainment is a big ask as there aren't many places like that where there are any shops near to a beach. Depending on what you mean by entertainment (cinema and restaurants maybe) the only place I can think where that would be achievable is Takapuna or Milford on the North Shore housing there is mega bucks. Orewa is nice but limited 'entertainment' and just a few old nanna type shops.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi bo jangles, thanks for you quick response. Actually we would be looking to rent for at least a year.

Beaches close by are a definite requirement, entertainment cinemas, restaurants would be good if at least a short drive away. Perhaps shopping centre not too far.

Good schools are another definite requirement.

I guess we we are looking for the typical nice scenic beach town but with amenities not too far. I’m sure that describes many towns along the coast but looking for any suggestions based on personal experience.

Thanks
glenn
Old Sep 28th 2019, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glenn120903
I guess we we are looking for the typical nice scenic beach town but with amenities not too far. I’m sure that describes many towns along the coast but looking for any suggestions based on personal experience.
'Towns' along the coast within reach of Auckland are very few and far between and I can't think of many places that has all that you describe in terms of amenities and good schools close to the beach.

You will likely have to compromise on some of your wishes. Some of the suburbs along the North Shore bays have some local shops near to the beach; Browns Bay, Takapuna and Orewa are probably the closest thing to what you have described and are all reasonably close to Albany where there is a decent sized shopping mall and a multiplex cinema. Other areas maybe Mission Bay, St Heliers or Eastern Beaches would be worth a look but will all depend on your budget.
Old Sep 28th 2019, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your help!! I will check out all these locations next week.
Glenn
Old Sep 28th 2019, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you get a chance have a look at Torbay and Long Bay as well, there's not much there in terms of shops or entertainment but Browns Bay, Takapuna and Albany are all very near.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

i am visiting Auckland next week ahead of a planned move in a February and other than one area (Whangaparoa) that had been described to me by a friend I’ve got no clue of any other towns to take a look at next week as possible locations to settle, Whangaparoa looks amazing to give you a sense of what we like ,but I’d like a basis for comparison. Would really appreciate it if l

My situation:

- working from home but must be within one hour drive to the Auckland city limits (not CBD).
- wife and three young children 2 in junior school and 1 in secondary school. So good schools are a must
- we want to be close to a beach, shops and entertainment (ideally walking distance)
- would like a laid back feel to the surrounding area but with restaurants and shops. Not stuck too far out of civilisation 😀.

thanks in advance!!

glenn
Whangaparoa is a cool place. I lived there for a year. It has everything you have asked for and has a nice feel small town feel to it considering it's proximity to Auckland and the North shore. I liked it much more than any of the bays on the shore
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

My situation:

thanks in advance!!

glenn
I think that Whangaparoa would tick all those boxes (although the restaurants and shops part might seem limited depending on your expectations).

I wouldn't live there myself because it is too far out of town but I work on the Auckland north shore with several people that do live there and they are quite happy with the arrangement (they have young children while I don't which I think explains the differing attitude).
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

We used to like out to eat at Manly town center or over at Orewa. The last time I was up there I noticed there seemed to be more eateries along the main road at whangas.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Arkles bay, Whangaparoa.
A two minute drive from Whangaparoa shopping center. I lived at the far left hand side of the bay and stepped off my lawn onto the beach.
They say a nice view doesn't pay the bills, but I loved coming home and having this outside my window when I was skint.

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 3rd 2019 at 9:32 am.
Old Oct 5th 2019, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Whangaparaoa a bit of a nightmare with traffic though nowadays. Massively different now to what it was 5 years ago. Many more houses, cars and people with only one way in/out. Family friends from back home still live on the hill on the way down to Gulf Harbour and we'll be up there Labour weekend. Always enjoy the area when we visit but glad I don't have to put up with their daily commute. All that traffic etc seems a world away when your chilling out on one of the many roadside beaches. Prefer Orewa myself as it's a little easier to get to off the Hib Coast Highway and also gives you options to go North. Each to their own though aye!
Old Oct 5th 2019, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Didn't think traffic would be a huge issue as OP said they were working from home