Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where oh where in Christchurch!!!!!!!!!

Where oh where in Christchurch!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:57 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future
Smile Where oh where in Christchurch!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone
Can someone give me some honest un-bias views on areas we can rent in around the CH area, were finding this the hardest part as we haven't visited NZ yet.!!!!
I know it sounds non pc so sorry about this but its VERY IMPORTAN . We want somewhere that's not too posh and defiantly not run down, council estate & common (Sorry) but lots of nice family friendly areas. Fairly quiet, not crowded, built up, industrial or overlooked.
Outside the City Centre is a must.
I know this is what most people want, but some ideas on where to start would be good
Don't ask for much do I but some help would be GREAT
Thanks very much
Jackie
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

johnokiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where oh where in Christchurch!!!!!!!!!

Hi there

We had same dilemma when we moved to ChCh and ended up in Cashmere (as in south ChCh). We've also got young family and found it ticks most boxes. Most people we've met here seem to love it and it's pretty scenic too as it's right by the Port Hills. Plus an easy 20 mins into city if you need it!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:55 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future

Hi there
Thanks for that, will have a search around there.
Its so hard when your not there. I just want to arrive and enjoy NZ when we get there not worry about getting the wrong rental and having to move again. Only want to move once more when we find somewhere we want to buy.
Great help and more info more than welcome
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, you may want to have a look in the archives as this topic has been done a few times.

This is a real tough one as everyone has different likes, budgets and so on.

I am going to say that you want to rent something new or renovated. If you know when you are coming, look at properties now and see if you can arrange something for when you arrive. If you have friends on line here to look at properties for you that would be good.

As it turns out I was looking at rentals today to check the price point on some properties we manage at work. It took me back to when we arrived and not to discourage you, but rental properties can be so discouraging. So again, start early, think new or renovated. Think $400 or more per week.

If you have small kids, do think about Halswell/Aidenfield. Stick to the Halswell school. Then, when it comes to buy you will have lots of time to look around and see what you can get.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:16 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

we've just moved to Halwell and it's lovely

we live in 'Halswell on the park'

it's got good bus services which runs every 15 min

very quiet with some good shops
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:28 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

Hi
Thanks for that info.
We have been looking at new properties at around $400-550 per week around Mt Pleasant and Redcliff. But will also look around at the areas you have suggested.
Why do you suggest Halwell and Aidenfield just out of interest?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:44 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mum-dad-3-little people
Hi
Thanks for that info.
We have been looking at new properties at around $400-550 per week around Mt Pleasant and Redcliff. But will also look around at the areas you have suggested.
Why do you suggest Halwell and Aidenfield just out of interest?
Have only suggested Halswell...it's a lovely quiet, tidy area (where i am anyway). it's got a few shops and is about 7-15 min depending on time of day to get to city centre. there are about 3 buses that come here every 15 min. where i am (halswell on the park) there's a lovey park and playing fields within the area. great walk at halswell quary. great new world, post office, chemist, fish n chips, bakery etc.

just a nice peaceful area IMO

Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I suggested Halswel and Aidenfield because you will be able to rent/buy a recently constructed home and so can count on comfort in the cool weather. Also, the primary school is good, the highschool is not. There are enough local shops to satisfy your basic grocery requirements. There are also some other features like proximity to the quarry and port hills. I notice around the Milnes estate that there are tennis courts and basketball nets.

Another new area is Temura park, but I don't like it as well and there is really nothing there. The local primary schools are ok, but the high school is to be avoided.

As for many other areas, let's say in GHS and BHS zones, many of the houses are substandard, but many of the locals look by that, as they are accustomed to living in that fashion, just to be "in the zone".

Anyway, this topic really comes down to "to each his own" as what one person likes or finds acceptable may not be quite the same for another.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

We too are in Halswell and love it. It ticks all our boxes, our son (age 6) attends the primary school and has settled really well. Our daughter (age 4) attends daycare in Aidenfield, has a great time and will go onto Halswell school next year.
My back ground is similar to yours, but I only found myself in Cyprus when we broke down on the way back from Kenya
If you have questions feel free to pm.

Lee
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone
Can someone give me some honest un-bias views on areas we can rent in around the CH area, were finding this the hardest part as we haven't visited NZ yet.!!!!
I know it sounds non pc so sorry about this but its VERY IMPORTAN . We want somewhere that's not too posh and defiantly not run down, council estate & common (Sorry) but lots of nice family friendly areas. Fairly quiet, not crowded, built up, industrial or overlooked.
Outside the City Centre is a must.
I know this is what most people want, but some ideas on where to start would be good
Don't ask for much do I but some help would be GREAT
Thanks very much
Jackie
Hi

We rented in Chch for a year in Tumara Park - there is Parklands shopping centre nearby, doctors, forest walks, beaches, 5 mins to The Palms Mall by car, Windsor School, Redwood School, Queenspark School for littlies and Chisnalwood is in zone too for the bigger ones. Areas that are also nice are Burwood and Parklands and Redwood. In the middle really of both Malls of The Palms and Northlands and a great area to live. You can get a great 4 bed new house for around $450-$500 per week if that much is in your budget. Happy hunting - don't forget to look on www.trademe.co.nz for rentals and you get the chance to see where they are on the maps.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:37 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

Hi everyone
Thanks for the superb info on all the different places around CHCH.
We have been scouting around at all the different area you have all suggested and think were getting somewhere at last
Sorry to keep asking so many questions but you know what its like when you just want to get thing as right as possible.
Another one for you though
We live so far from everything here in Cyprus supermarket is 35 mins drive away, There are no shopping centres here just odd scattered shops in the town 45 mins drive away and we do not miss this sort of thing. So we are looking for areas in between the size and feel of Rangiora and places like Redcliff, Sumner, Mt Pleasenet, with the beach a cycle away good schools and not crowded, and not to big, English village size really.
Can anyone enlighten me please
Thank you
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
Thanks for the superb info on all the different places around CHCH.
We have been scouting around at all the different area you have all suggested and think were getting somewhere at last
Sorry to keep asking so many questions but you know what its like when you just want to get thing as right as possible.
Another one for you though
We live so far from everything here in Cyprus supermarket is 35 mins drive away, There are no shopping centres here just odd scattered shops in the town 45 mins drive away and we do not miss this sort of thing. So we are looking for areas in between the size and feel of Rangiora and places like Redcliff, Sumner, Mt Pleasenet, with the beach a cycle away good schools and not crowded, and not to big, English village size really.
Can anyone enlighten me please
Thank you
It is so hard to put into words what living here is like. Defintely not the feel of English villages, nothing rivals England for great Villages. Canterbury is very flat, apart from the Port Hills!! and Mountains beyond. Mostly areas in suburbs of Christchurch have their own little complex of shops where you can buy most things. There are the bigger Malls dotted all over too in various suburbs. From Tumara Park you can cycle to the beach through the forest, plenty of open space and a great outdoor feel and not overcrowded. Sumner/Redcliffs is where quite a lot of English seem to buy, right next to the beach, overcrowded in Summer and dare I say it, the inevitable boy racer cruising up and down. Not so much in the areas where you have to ride or cycle to the beach though. I would say that in my humble opinion Rangiora is the closest to Village Life that you can get although it is a town. I expect places like Ashley/Sefton just across the river from Rangiora with little places dotted around and no shops is like more like a Village, as is Oxford which is further inland from Rangiora. Woodend is another option with just a couple of shops but on the main north road going towards Chch. My suggestion to you is if you are in a hurry to buy something is to come here and rent short term and drive around all the areas and get a feel for where you want to be. We rented here in Rangiora when we first came and then went to Tumara Park and rented for 12 months and then we got to experince both places, City and Town and we decided that for us Town won for various reasons and that is where we have now bought. Hope this helps. I am sure there will be someone else that can give more information on this very tough subject. It is all down to personal preferences in the end. If we all had the same tastes, life would be a bore wouldn't it. Good luck to you with your decisions.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:20 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

Hi Shirl
Thanks so much for that that's just the sort of info that we need.
I'm starting to build a better idea of area types now. And we always seem to be drawn back towards the Rangiora area.
Think that's where were going to rent for 6 months or so, then we can take our time scouting about around that area. It always sounds like a nice area from what others say and there doesn't seem to be a lot of negative feedback about it.
Huge thanks
Your right life would be dull if we were all the same
Jackie
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Shirl
Thanks so much for that that's just the sort of info that we need.
I'm starting to build a better idea of area types now. And we always seem to be drawn back towards the Rangiora area.
Think that's where were going to rent for 6 months or so, then we can take our time scouting about around that area. It always sounds like a nice area from what others say and there doesn't seem to be a lot of negative feedback about it.
Huge thanks
Your right life would be dull if we were all the same
Jackie
I think you are wise. There are great bargains to be had in renting brand new 3/4 bed ensuite homes just now with 2 lounges etc. Due to the slump in market investers are having probs and need to get what they can just to stay afloat. You will have no trouble renting here I don't think and nice and new too!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shirley, most places have areas to avoid! Does Rangiora? Just curious as we are split between ChCh and Rangiora/Woodend area. Ta!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.