Where in NZ

Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:14 pm
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice
Default Where in NZ

As you may know I was looking at moving to Oz but am now thinking NZ. Having been to Oz a couple of times and travelled all over, plus working there, I pretty much have a good idea of what I'm letting myself in for!
So....how the hell (without doing a reccie) suss out where In NZ to go? Even if you did a reccie it would be limited ( I was in Oz for 18 mths in all).
Can anyone recommend places, or at least give pros and cons for areas. I am a nurse with two young children and maybe my mum too? We love outdoor life, camping, horses, sport etc...
Thanks for any info
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in NZ

Originally Posted by gorgeousgal
As you may know I was looking at moving to Oz but am now thinking NZ. Having been to Oz a couple of times and travelled all over, plus working there, I pretty much have a good idea of what I'm letting myself in for!
So....how the hell (without doing a reccie) suss out where In NZ to go? Even if you did a reccie it would be limited ( I was in Oz for 18 mths in all).
Can anyone recommend places, or at least give pros and cons for areas. I am a nurse with two young children and maybe my mum too? We love outdoor life, camping, horses, sport etc...
Thanks for any info
Hi, Palmerston North should be considered for a spate of reasons. Great hospital, great stuff for kids, great schools, universtity too for a long term view, we are surrounded by beautiful scenery and mountains, horse riding, gorge walking, tramping, 3 pools, awesome parks, no traffic, a great square, great shops and the beach is only 40 mins away.

Lake Taupo is 2-3 hours, ditto Wellington likewise some of NZ's best skiing. Houses are way more affordable than say Auckland or Wellington and we have been here almost 3 years with young kids and our life has never been better!!

The weather is not the best here but I did not come to NZ for fair weather. We have the life here we dreamed of having in the Uk but just could not get. Kate worked at the Local hospital for 2.5 years, she now works for a local hospice. I have a contact at the hospital's HR dept if you would like a name as I am currently tendering to mentor their new recruits.

We are sooooooooooo happy hear I would not hesitate recommending a new life here. Palmy has about 75000 inhabitants, a big NH hospital and a private one too, along with many nursing homes. There are about 10 cinemas, four or five theatres and more restaurants per capita than ANYWHERE in NZ!!!!! We have a big river running thru' town and some amazing walkways.

Locally you can also golf, learn to fly, white water raft, or learn to scuba, we have 2 bowling alleys and a roller skating ring. We have our own arena which hosts some awesome entertainment and a very proactive council which does so much for the rate payers re entertainment!

We also have an art gallery, a science centre and museum...who says Palmy is dull???

Please fell free to PM me.

Best of luck where ever you chose!!!

Happy new year!!!

Dom and Kate.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any info
Sounds to me like you should be heading to Wellington!!!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:04 am
Banned

Maryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really niceMaryanne_Tga is just really nice

Dont come to Tauranga, its full
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:10 pm

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi, Palmerston North should be considered for a spate of reasons. Great hospital, great stuff for kids, great schools, universtity too for a long term view, we are surrounded by beautiful scenery and mountains, horse riding, gorge walking, tramping, 3 pools, awesome parks, no traffic, a great square, great shops and the beach is only 40 mins away.

Lake Taupo is 2-3 hours, ditto Wellington likewise some of NZ's best skiing. Houses are way more affordable than say Auckland or Wellington and we have been here almost 3 years with young kids and our life has never been better!!

The weather is not the best here but I did not come to NZ for fair weather. We have the life here we dreamed of having in the Uk but just could not get. Kate worked at the Local hospital for 2.5 years, she now works for a local hospice. I have a contact at the hospital's HR dept if you would like a name as I am currently tendering to mentor their new recruits.

We are sooooooooooo happy hear I would not hesitate recommending a new life here. Palmy has about 75000 inhabitants, a big NH hospital and a private one too, along with many nursing homes. There are about 10 cinemas, four or five theatres and more restaurants per capita than ANYWHERE in NZ!!!!! We have a big river running thru' town and some amazing walkways.

Locally you can also golf, learn to fly, white water raft, or learn to scuba, we have 2 bowling alleys and a roller skating ring. We have our own arena which hosts some awesome entertainment and a very proactive council which does so much for the rate payers re entertainment!

We also have an art gallery, a science centre and museum...who says Palmy is dull???

Please fell free to PM me.

Best of luck where ever you chose!!!

Happy new year!!!

Dom and Kate.
God, you've sold it to me
It sounds amazing. I'll look into it, thanks very much
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:20 pm

When you mentioned the climate wasn't great..............can you elaborate?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:05 am
Steve ww

Riggo 60 is a jewel in the roughRiggo 60 is a jewel in the roughRiggo 60 is a jewel in the roughRiggo 60 is a jewel in the rough

Palmy sounds good to me too.

Have spent hours looking on the net, fortunate enough to meet with a few guys from thier earlier this year. Hoping everthing i hear is right, as wife and i both have job offers thier.

If we ever make it will let you know.

Keep smiling.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

While life in the no doubt beautiful other parts of the country does involve all the things written above you can't be gorge walking, rafting, skiing, tramping etc all day, every week..........

If your work requires you to be in or near one of the big cities then there are plenty here who can advise you where to look in Wellington but if Auckland is where you end up i can completely recommend the general Whitford/Clevedon/Brookby area along with Beachlands and Maraetai.

Beautiful countryside but still within a short drive or ferry ride of the city plus you can still be skiing within about 3-4 hours by car.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

When you mentioned the climate wasn't great..............can you elaborate?
We get a fair bit of rain and it can be windy too. Neither bother me as we had lots of rain in the UK and I find the wind quite pleasing. Due to our rainfall the area is very lush and verdant. Its not all bad, we use our pool from November thru' to June...so its not exactly cold!! We have spates of awesome weather in both winter and summer, last year we had an incredible late summer, this year its been early. Frosts are very rare and it never snows in Palmy. You will see a dusting on the mountains that flank us and in the distance you can often see the incredible snow capped Mt Ruapheu....an dormant 11000ft volcano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Summer sees weather in the late 20's and often in winter when its sunny it will be touching 20!!

Hope to meet you soon???

Dom
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maryanne_Tga
Dont come to Tauranga, its full
Head to the mainland I say.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:29 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second Palmerston North- provided you aren't looking for a fabulous climate. It can be windy and rainy often.

Through the gorge and into Hawkes Bay the climate is awesome but doesn't have a city like Palmie and is more isolated. Hawkes Bay is gorgeous though- the wineries, the beaches, The twin cities of Napier and Hastings, lovely Havelock North, the mountain range close enough to enjoy, the climate, the beaches and still reasonable property prices. Did I mention the climate?