Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Where to live in Auckland" The Book

"Where to live in Auckland" The Book

Old May 4th 2007, 4:13 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: "Where to live in Auckland" The Book

Originally Posted by kwprwn

I would like to live in Swanson or Waitakere if I didnt live were I am now, I use the train to get to work and dont find too many issues with the train
They've sorted out the train delays? Wow! Maybe I should have had a bit more patience.
Old May 4th 2007, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by happynz
They've sorted out the train delays? Wow! Maybe I should have had a bit more patience.
we still have issues but I have only been late twice in a year for work as a result of the train...which isnt bad
Old May 5th 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zak and Sandie
we live in Cockle Bay near to Howick and we really love it. The children are really happy and we are only 3 minutes from the beach and a few minutes from the countryside. The schools are very good. We really like living here perhaps it worth you having a look here too.
Sandie
Hi Sandie,

I actually have a distant relation who lives in, near Howick, so I'm trying to contact them.
This is probably an area I will be considering...Many Thanks
Old May 5th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mickey_d
We are actually on the North Shore (Devonport), we just find it far too overcrowded (have a look at overhead photos on Google Earth), far too much traffic & very overpriced. The journey to Auckland city has sometimes been over an hour!!! Waitakere area looked nicer to us when we had a drive around, still expensive though in our opinion. Make sure you rent when you get here. I say this as we actually loved it for the first couple of months, but now hate it. If we had been able to afford to buy a house here we probably would have but would now be regretting it!!!
After months of searching & travelling around, we are now moving to Hawkes Bay. It's so different down there, much more friendly & no traffic jams!!! We will be moving into our own house on a 1800m sq. section & it has cost us a 1/3 or more of the price it would have been around Auckland.
What job do you do?
Good luck with your move.

Mickey_D
Hi Mickey...I think I'm beginning to go off the idea of North Shore. We are coming from a small village (3500 residents), so I think we might take bad. We are used to small towns where evryone is friendly with a good community spirit.
Hopefully we can find somewhere suitable!!
Old May 5th 2007, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Smiler68 is on a distinguished road

Garry,

Have just bought the book at http://www.kiwifruitsnzshop.com cost is £16.50 +P&P

Off to Auckland in June, so should come in handy to track down an area to live.
Old May 6th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
Hi Mickey...I think I'm beginning to go off the idea of North Shore. We are coming from a small village (3500 residents), so I think we might take bad. We are used to small towns where evryone is friendly with a good community spirit.
Hopefully we can find somewhere suitable!!
Don't let me put you off trying North Shore, you may like it, it's just not for us.
We haven't really come across much community spirit & friendliness apart from the older people around here, they would talk to you all day!!! We find there is is lot of snobbery around here & "keeping up with the Jone's" sort of attitude, but when people are paying up to $2.1 million for a 3 bed villa I wouldn't expect anything less.
Some of the best schools are around here which is a plus & there are some lovely beaches. It's just too crowded for us & the rented house we are in isn't private enough for us, we are surrounded by 7 other house's only separated by wire fencing & there is another 1 being built in our back garden shortly, (see my landlord from hell thread, that didn't help either!!!) but we will be long gone by then.
Where we are moving to only has a population of 1800, with plenty of countryside around & only 25 mins drive to the hospital for the OH's job.
Can't wait!!!
Old May 6th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

There are nice places to live around Auckland, despite what some posters say. I am not a city person either but we have found Beachlands and we love it. I keep a horse (yes there are plenty of fields! ).... we can walk to beaches, there are loads of parks nearby. ....and we can get up into Auckland in 20 minutes by car. There is a good community feeling here too.

We did have a copy of the book, no idea where it is now though. It was pretty helpful.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
There are nice places to live around Auckland, despite what some posters say. I am not a city person either but we have found Beachlands and we love it. I keep a horse (yes there are plenty of fields! ).... we can walk to beaches, there are loads of parks nearby. ....and we can get up into Auckland in 20 minutes by car. There is a good community feeling here too.

We did have a copy of the book, no idea where it is now though. It was pretty helpful.
Yes it is nice there, we had a look after reading some of your posts, your'e lucky.
You must drive quick, took us about 40 mins from there to Auckland & the roads were quiet at the time.
Old May 6th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Smiler68
Garry,

Have just bought the book at http://www.kiwifruitsnzshop.com cost is £16.50 +P&P

Off to Auckland in June, so should come in handy to track down an area to live.
Thanks Smiler..... I ordered the book from NZ the other day...It will probably take a week or so to come..

Where are you settling? Let me know how you get on, I probably won't be far behind you!

All the Best!
Old May 6th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't let me put you off trying North Shore, you may like it, it's just not for us.
We haven't really come across much community spirit & friendliness apart from the older people around here, they would talk to you all day!!! We find there is is lot of snobbery around here & "keeping up with the Jone's" sort of attitude, but when people are paying up to $2.1 million for a 3 bed villa I wouldn't expect anything less.
Some of the best schools are around here which is a plus & there are some lovely beaches. It's just too crowded for us & the rented house we are in isn't private enough for us, we are surrounded by 7 other house's only separated by wire fencing & there is another 1 being built in our back garden shortly, (see my landlord from hell thread, that didn't help either!!!) but we will be long gone by then.
Where we are moving to only has a population of 1800, with plenty of countryside around & only 25 mins drive to the hospital for the OH's job.
Can't wait!!!
Mikey...Where is it you are heading to? My job is also at the hospital, so this sounds ideal..... The commute to work from the North Shore was definately putting me off!

Tnx
Old May 6th 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by garryhg
Mikey...Where is it you are heading to? My job is also at the hospital, so this sounds ideal..... The commute to work from the North Shore was definately putting me off!

Tnx
Hawkes bay, hospital is in Hastings.
Old May 6th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is nice there, we had a look after reading some of your posts, your'e lucky.
You must drive quick, took us about 40 mins from there to Auckland & the roads were quiet at the time.
Sorry I did mean getting to the outskirts of Auckland. I can get to Botany in 20 minutes.
Old May 7th 2007, 11:43 am
Just Joined

johnnos will become famous soon enoughjohnnos will become famous soon enough

Can't wait!!!
mickey

we also live north shore
been here 5 weeks, crown hill
need to move already though due to mortgage now i have been paid and see our real money situation !!!
lucky not fully settled in house as customs just releasing our shipment this week so not big hassle om moving stuff
we bought on the web (aunty inspected) and lovely house but cant afford it
im used to the traffic- lots of books and ipod, and the beaches/playgrounds for the kids make it for us at the moment to stay here--but maybe need to get up the bays a bit to afford a place
i agree with much of what you say

early days but we are having to adapt very quickly despite lots of research
cost of living without savings and on shore is expensive, so doing lots of budget shopping --trade me, pak n save, might end up beachcombing!

i did fancy bucklands/howick and coummute via ferry to work ( college hill)

dave
Old May 7th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnnos

dave
In case you didnt know you can go by ferry to Auckland from Beachlands...

http://www.pineharbour.co.nz/

We are not a lot further out than Howick... I just found a link for you on our area...

http://www.welcome2manukau.com/touri...hutukawaCoast/

Last edited by SarahB; May 7th 2007 at 8:24 pm.
Old May 8th 2007, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Zak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really niceZak and Sandie is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnnos
mickey

we also live north shore
been here 5 weeks, crown hill
need to move already though due to mortgage now i have been paid and see our real money situation !!!
lucky not fully settled in house as customs just releasing our shipment this week so not big hassle om moving stuff
we bought on the web (aunty inspected) and lovely house but cant afford it
im used to the traffic- lots of books and ipod, and the beaches/playgrounds for the kids make it for us at the moment to stay here--but maybe need to get up the bays a bit to afford a place
i agree with much of what you say

early days but we are having to adapt very quickly despite lots of research
cost of living without savings and on shore is expensive, so doing lots of budget shopping --trade me, pak n save, might end up beachcombing!

dave
Howick's fab. I would recommend it. Take a drive over and see what you think of the village centre.
Sandie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.