Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to go on holiday - top bit of the South Island

Where to go on holiday - top bit of the South Island

Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Theyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to all
Default Where to go on holiday - top bit of the South Island

I have been living in Australia for 8 years and have been over to NZ 3 times, once to the North Isand (we have family there) and twice to the South Island. We (me and the OH) have booked again to come over and we are heading to the South Island again (end of May for 2 weeks)......... i would love to know if anybody can recommend any places to visit whilst we are there (sometimes i think you miss places because they aren't that well advertised). We are going to Kekerengu first, then on to Takaka and ending up in Greymouth before heading back to Christchurch to fly back.

Thanks Tina
Old May 1st 2011, 1:17 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go on holiday

East Coast South Island! Picton to Dunedin.

Marlborough Sounds and wine region
Kaikoura - Whale watching, fishing
Hamner Springs - Thermal hotpools, spa hotels
Waipara - NZ best wine region IMO
Christchurch - OK it's munted, but Akaroa is amazing and Mt Hutt might be open when you arrive
Catlins - Beautiful and wild

I'm sure I have missed a few spots.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:26 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

If you ever watched Billy Connely's trip down south , then have a look at the Millenium track that goes from Beumont just up from Balclutha along the river , starts and ends in Ettrick , there is a spot along the way , where the lonely graves are, which were on Billy tour , also near the graves are walks along the river and over suspention bridges which are from old settlements, this drive will aslo take you into Central Otago , lots of old Gold mine places along the way.

On that route , head towards Naesby and have a go at Curling ,they have an indoor curling stadium , near Naseby is a wee gold mining village called St Bathams , worth a visit , blue lakes and old Haunted hotel.

Any where through Central or down the coast to the Catlins rain forest is worth a look.
Old May 1st 2011, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Theyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies i will have a look on the map and make plans

Tina
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Hamner Springs - Thermal hotpools, spa hotels
I would definitely recommend Hanmer Springs. Great to relax in the Themal Pools with snow falling around you.

http://www.hanmersprings.co.nz/

Then make a point of getting to the Abel Tasman National Park just outside Nelson - lots of info here, http://www.abeltasman.co.nz/

Then head on down to Queenstown.

Enjoy
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

HHmm. This is a wee round trip then?

How are you coming back from Takaka through to Greymouth. Via Murchison?

I see you are stopping at Kekerengu up the Kaikoura coast. If you haven't done so before , then I recommend you stop at Ohau Point .

About 40km north of Kaikoura you should stop to look at the seals at Ohau Point where there is a pull-off area of tar seal on your right just past Half Moon Bay. Keep following the road - just as it descends to the coast a signpost indicates the walk to the Ohau Falls.
The fifteen minute Ohau Stream and Waterfall walk begins underneath the railway line and leads you beside the stream through the trees to a small waterfall. During daytime, you are most likely to see the seal pups playing in the waterfall while their parents are out in the ocean fishing.
Although the seal pups will be quite large by the end of May, they will still be there and playing in the waterfall. It really is rather lovely. After that stop at the cafe up the road for lunch.

I'll keep thinking and ask the husband when he gets home. We live in the Nelson area and so have travelled the route you are suggesting a few times.
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:20 am
`

Lunch - The Naked Possum up the way from Takaka.

Tea - The Mussel Inn , up the way from Takaka

Pupu Springs.
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:23 am
`

Murchison way.

Buller Gorge

Maruia Falls
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:28 am
`

West Coast

Punakaiki or Pancake Rocks are well known. Just make sure you time it well for high tide to make the best of the blowholes.
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Bev's for the info and for the PM, i should have said the route i'm taking is the top end on the South Island........ i will be taking all suggestions from everybody i just hope i have time to fit them all in

Tina
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:47 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to go on holiday - top bit of the South Island

Fox Glacier - take one of the guided tours where you actually get to walk on the glacier. Did this a few years ago on our touring holiday around the 'north' of south island (we went from Dunedin - Kaikoura - Mapua, outside Nelson - Fox Glacier - back across Central Otago to Dunedin in a week ). The glacier quickly knocked swimming with dolphins (Kaikoura) off the top of my best ever experience list
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:23 am
`

Mapua?
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:17 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, we stayed at a lovely tranquile holiday home called Corru Gate (http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/3308.asp) for three nights. The kids spent most of the time 'fishing' off the wharf (didn't catch anything ) whilst I either chilled out at the house, browsed the little parade of shops or drank coffee at the wharf. I quiet liked Mapua
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:24 pm
`

Ooo. Seaton Valley Road....... very nice.

You need an incoming tide to catch the fish I believe. Lad caught a fair few when we were down there on Sunday. Quite sizeable .
Old May 19th 2011, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for all replies, i'm busy marking up the map ............... one thing i want to ask and maybe it might sound a little stupid, do they have Tsunami warning sirens over in NZ? I'm only asking because i'm sure something was said about them a while ago, i don't want to be caught unawares wondering what the noise is when i should be getting my ass up to higher ground.......

Tina