Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do these 'sayings' come from?

Where do these 'sayings' come from?

Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

hippy chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do these 'sayings' come from?

I had a giggle last night, I was at a friends house and her son was watching TV.

When I sat down I accidently switched the TV off....

Her son said "Oi" I was watching that... To which I replied "What side was it on?"

"Eh?" he replied... "What do you mean SIDE?"...

Where does that saying come from??? The side of What???

Made me laugh... Then it started me off with other sayings, like "What a rigmarole?",

Anyone else got any???
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:03 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do these 'sayings' come from?

Originally Posted by hippy chick
I had a giggle last night, I was at a friends house and her son was watching TV.

When I sat down I accidently switched the TV off....

Her son said "Oi" I was watching that... To which I replied "What side was it on?"

"Eh?" he replied... "What do you mean SIDE?"...

Where does that saying come from??? The side of What???

Made me laugh... Then it started me off with other sayings, like "What a rigmarole?",

Anyone else got any???
When i was a kid...we only had 2 stations BBC1 and Anglia .....So we would say what side is it on.....We'd also say turn the telly over
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

We'd say that too.

I have another good one, a threat
"I'll make you smile on the over side of your face..."
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:15 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
We'd say that too.

I have another good one, a threat
"I'll make you smile on the over side of your face..."
cheers big ears
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

I've always said "what side" and "turn it over" when talking TV channels.

What my kids can't comprehend is that is i actually had to get up to turn the telly over and stand there clonking through the 3 buttons until we found something we wanted to watch. Wasn't life simpler then?!

There is a definition in the free dictionary that rigmarole does have a meaning :- Confused, rambling, or incoherent discourse; nonsense. So there you go.

I love all the old traditional English sayings and the fact that they are so regional.
Grandmas and old aunts would describe something dirty as being "as black as newgits knocker" I never new what this mean't until, as an adult, someone told me it was a reference to Newgate Prison's door knocker, it was black as it was so well used!

Years ago when someone died they couldn't always be sure if they were dead or not. They used to tie a piece of string to their hand with a bell on the other end so the bell was outside the coffin. If they woke up or came to, they could ring the bell before being buried. Therefore they were "saved by the bell".

I used to know loads of these sorts of sayings and quips, can't remember them all. A lot of them are old British Naval Customs such as "3 square meals a day" where onboard, they used to eat off of square wooden plates.

That's all the kind of stuff i love to hear about.

Last edited by joelsa; Nov 13th 2008 at 8:06 pm. Reason: to add
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

'is anyone sitting there?' When it's an empty seat

Well this won't buy the baby a new dress.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

hippy chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joelsa
I've always said "what side" and "turn it over" when talking TV channels.

What my kids can't comprehend is that is i actually had to get up to turn the telly over and stand there clonking through the 3 buttons until we found something we wanted to watch. Wasn't life simpler then?!

There is a definition in the free dictionary that rigmarole does have a meaning :- Confused, rambling, or incoherent discourse; nonsense. So there you go.

I love all the old traditional English sayings and the fact that they are so regional.
Grandmas and old aunts would describe something dirty as being "as black as newgits knocker" I never new what this mean't until, as an adult, someone told me it was a reference to Newgate Prison's door knocker, it was black as it was so well used!

Years ago when someone died they couldn't always be sure if they were dead or not. They used to tie a piece of string to their hand with a bell on the other end so the bell was outside the coffin. If they woke up or came to, they could ring the bell before being buried. Therefore they were "saved by the bell".

I used to know loads of these sorts of sayings and quips, can't remember them all. A lot of them are old British Naval Customs such as "3 square meals a day" where onboard, they used to eat off of square wooden plates.

Joelsa you really made me laff.... so funny.

Heres one in Canada. "Double fisting" I know, don't choke.... It means holding a drink in both hands!!!! I nearly died when someone in the pub asked me if i was double fisting....

Funny though...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa

Cool!! I love that sort of stuff too... I never knew about the bell.... how spooky. If I had heard the bell I reckon I would have hot footed it!!
.... ooooh I wonder where the saying 'hot footed it' comes from ha ha
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:17 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

After all these years Hubby still looks at me confused when I ask what "side" something is on on the TV...I jsut can't help it

Originally Posted by sans
cheers big ears
That's the way it goes big nose
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:23 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Juswus
After all these years Hubby still looks at me confused when I ask what "side" something is on on the TV...I jsut can't help it

That's the way it goes big nose
Smart fart
Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:46 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Smart fart
I never heard that before i like it

My dads fave was bent as a 9 bob note... my kids had absolutely no idea what he was on about.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:55 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I never heard that before i like it

My dads fave was bent as a 9 bob note... my kids had absolutely no idea what he was on about.
I bet your kids thought he was as daft as a brush
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:41 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

what's for dinner?

air pie 'n windy pudd'n
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnxa
what's for dinner?

air pie 'n windy pudd'n
No it's not. It's bees knees and spiders ankles.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

You all need to add this to your letter to Santa:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kick-Bucket-...6677451&sr=1-3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.