Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do I start?!

Wikiposts

Where do I start?!

Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

need2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where do I start?!

Ok, since making the first few enquiries about emigrating, i'm back again with a few more questions and hope someone can answer.

We've never been to NZ before, like the OP, although we're pretty sure its the place we want to be one can never tell until the reality kicks in. So, what visa would be best to apply for, bearing in mind we have no family there, no jobs etc. and although we will have money from the sale of our property, perhaps it would be best not to sell until we have intially tested the water there.

With our ages is it possible to get a working/holiday type visa, something that would enable us to be able to work if we get the opportunity? We are 49 and 47 respectively and have a 12 year old daughter.

Many thanks for help.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Paladin
Just get your butt over there - you'll love it!!

We hadn't ever been to NZ before either - went all through the PR process and got our PR THEN went on holiday for a reccie trip to see where we wanted to live. Its gotta be a MUCH better place to bring up our two young daughters than this hellhole!

There's some seriously nice expats over there who you will come to know through this site - they're helpful, kind and have good sense of humours! Visit here regularly adn you'l realise who they are rapidly! Great people! ( apart from Poppets - she's just insane!! )

Dave
Sounds like a plan! Where did you live in the Cotswolds, I've never heard it referred to as a hellhole! In fact, I nearly booked, can't remember village but fairly near Cheltenham, for my hen do!!!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

A fourteen year old was stabbed to death in London last night and another is critically ill.

And some people wonder why we want to leave this country??!!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Post Re: Where do I start?!

Just taken the first step! Have applied for Visa pack! Scary.

I think we will be looking at Porirua, Kapiti or anywhere coastal reasonably close to Welly - OH may need to commute, although we will try and avoid that at all costs!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 1:13 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by need2no
Ok, since making the first few enquiries about emigrating, I'm back again with a few more questions and hope someone can answer.
Okay.

We've never been to NZ before, like the OP, although we're pretty sure its the place we want to be one can never tell until the reality kicks in.
Yup

So, what visa would be best to apply for, bearing in mind we have no family there, no jobs etc. and although we will have money from the sale of our property, perhaps it would be best not to sell until we have initially tested the water there.

With our ages is it possible to get a working/holiday type visa, something that would enable us to be able to work if we get the opportunity? We are 49 and 47 respectively and have a 12 year old daughter.
First off, you will not be able to get a work-holiday visa as you are too old for that. But all is not lost. You might want to come out to New Zealand as a visitor and have a look around first. Winter would be good in a way 'cos you'd see New Zealand at it's weather wacky best (well, next to the cruelest month December. Go to other weather related threads to get a feel for that).

If after that you still think New Zealand might be the place for you you will need to secure some employment. The employment will have to be skilled employment in an area where the employer can show to NZIS that no local Kiwis could be found to do the job. This is usually straightforward and can be done at an immigration office in one of the major cities -- Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch or Dunedin. Once you have the work permit you will be allowed to enroll your 12-year-old in school with no added paperwork or overseas fees.

Work for a year or so to get a few more points for New Zealand experience points and then start the PR process.

But seeing as how you are 49 and 47 you'd best get cracking.

Many thanks for help.
De nada. Suerte.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, its me again!

Just wondered if anyone knew the Wairarapa region. If so, are there any towns you could recommend or not as the case may be!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Sorry, its me again!

Just wondered if anyone knew the Wairarapa region. If so, are there any towns you could recommend or not as the case may be!
the Wairarapa reigion includes townships, Featherston, Martinborough, Greytown, Carterton and Masterton . Its coastal areas Castlepoint, Riversdale and Palliser/Ngawi/Tora.

if you are thinking of commuting to welly it can take about 1 1/2hrs by road , ddepending on traffic, & the rimutaka hills are very curvy, & can be closed in winter. that said there is a good train line (takes about 1 1/2hrs again http://www.tranzmetro.co.nz/ ) , the houses are cheap, but you have the vineyards there. we looked at that region but thought it was a bit too far out for us.

http://www.wairarapanz.com/
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poppets
the Wairarapa reigion includes townships, Featherston, Martinborough, Greytown, Carterton and Masterton . Its coastal areas Castlepoint, Riversdale and Palliser/Ngawi/Tora.

if you are thinking of commuting to welly it can take about 1 1/2hrs by road , ddepending on traffic, & the rimutaka hills are very curvy, & can be closed in winter. that said there is a good train line (takes about 1 1/2hrs again http://www.tranzmetro.co.nz/ ) , the houses are cheap, but you have the vineyards there. we looked at that region but thought it was a bit too far out for us.

http://www.wairarapanz.com/
Decisions, Decisions!

What coastal towns are easy to commute to Welly from - OH will probably stand a better chance of finding a job in the city. But then again, he may get lucky and find a firm in a small town.

As I said, hv sent of for pack and have looked at skilled shortage list and Cabinet makers are listed - so this should help get us a few extra points!

Hope you enjoyed the party. OH was asking for advice from a young lady who is originally from Tawa! She said we should avoid Lower and Upper Hutt - is there any truth in this? Have seen some lovely houses there.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Decisions, Decisions!

What coastal towns are easy to commute to Welly from - OH will probably stand a better chance of finding a job in the city. But then again, he may get lucky and find a firm in a small town.

As I said, hv sent of for pack and have looked at skilled shortage list and Cabinet makers are listed - so this should help get us a few extra points!

Hope you enjoyed the party. OH was asking for advice from a young lady who is originally from Tawa! She said we should avoid Lower and Upper Hutt - is there any truth in this? Have seen some lovely houses there.
one is better than the other, Cherry lives in the Hutt valley so maybe able to help.....also cottageinthesky is great on welly areas.
coast i would say Kapiti, plimmerton, pukerua bay,

i'll look into it some more & get back to you
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all your help. Grateful karma coming your way! x
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

one is better than the other, Cherry lives in the Hutt valley so maybe able to help.....also cottageinthesky is great on welly areas.

here is some mor einfo that may help, esp the top link , (i think i'll post on Really usefull Thread too) if i can be of any more help just yell

https://www.qv.co.nz/onlinereports/p...ghbourhood.htm

http://www.professionals.co.nz/regions-wellington.asp

http://www.redcoats.co.nz/huttcity-amenities.asp
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Papakowhai...
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by danny.f
Papakowhai...
nooooo, BE nutters live there

but we love them
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

https://www.qv.co.nz/onlinereports/p...ghbourhood.htm

http://www.professionals.co.nz/regions-wellington.asp

http://www.redcoats.co.nz/huttcity-amenities.asp[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this info Poppets, only just trawling through info on first website, but I think it will be very useful to anyone in the UK thinking of moving to NZ!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:20 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

We did one of those online assessments and received a POSITIVE OUTCOME! Do you need to have x amount of capital to move out.

We would like to find a 3/4 bed, 1/2 bathroom house, with private garden and close to the beach for a much under $400,000 as possible!!! Are we asking for too much!?

I must say looking at the number of posts you have made, I think you must be something more impressive than a pair of curtains!!??
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr....htm?key=33163

Welcome to Blenheim.

Off the radar scope for expats, has the lowest unemployment in NZ, Marlborough Sounds 20 mins away, wineries, fishing, diving, a outdoors lifestyle that you can only dream of.

We moved here after struggling for two years in Auckland and it's exactly the picture of NZ we had before we came over. Great community, in the middle of a building boom - so good employment prospects for OH.

Have a look at our homepage, got lots of pics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.