Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do I start?!

Where do I start?!

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default Where do I start?!

Hi
We are only just starting to think of a move to New Zealand and would welcome all and any advice!

My partner (getting married on 1st June!) is a carpenter, so I'm assuming that it shouldn't be a problem with us getting a visa and him getting work? Have read on this forum that it is best to get job offer first - is this always the case?

Also, and this is a big also! we have never been to New Zealand before and would welcome advice on where to start looking. As I say, partner is carpenter and we have two children - a boy of 7 and a girl of 4. A key factor in our choice is that we would like to be mortgage free if possible and would be looking for as big a place as possible for around £140,000! We wouldn't like to live in a city, but a town that is close to beaches, good schools and good shops close by! Don't ask for much do I!?

Reason for move is that, like many Brits, we have become totally disillusioned with the UK and what it has to offer!

Looking forward to your replies. xx
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where do I start?!

Hi!

Im in same position as you. Hubby 2 kids (12 & 10). We hoped to go to Queensland but too expensive for us as hubby not got one of skill shortages. Anyway with the help of this forum I have managed to convince him New Zealand the place for us. We are going to go to the North Island so pinning our hopes on job offers near the coast. Hubby is HGV driver. Are you leaving a lot of family and friends? Thats the only tricky bit for me. But its only a flight away at the end of the day. Good luck with everything.

Jill
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jill1420
Hi!

Im in same position as you. Hubby 2 kids (12 & 10). We hoped to go to Queensland but too expensive for us as hubby not got one of skill shortages. Anyway with the help of this forum I have managed to convince him New Zealand the place for us. We are going to go to the North Island so pinning our hopes on job offers near the coast. Hubby is HGV driver. Are you leaving a lot of family and friends? Thats the only tricky bit for me. But its only a flight away at the end of the day. Good luck with everything.

Jill
Yes, when we tried to list the things we like about England, we discovered that it was only friends, family and the guys my partner works with! Says a lot I think.

But with the help of computer and skype, lots of contact is still possible and I think the pluses for raising kids in NZ rather than UK would make the move worthwhile!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Hi
We are only just starting to think of a move to New Zealand and would welcome all and any advice!

My partner (getting married on 1st June!) is a carpenter, so I'm assuming that it shouldn't be a problem with us getting a visa and him getting work? Have read on this forum that it is best to get job offer first - is this always the case?

Also, and this is a big also! we have never been to New Zealand before and would welcome advice on where to start looking. As I say, partner is carpenter and we have two children - a boy of 7 and a girl of 4. A key factor in our choice is that we would like to be mortgage free if possible and would be looking for as big a place as possible for around £140,000! We wouldn't like to live in a city, but a town that is close to beaches, good schools and good shops close by! Don't ask for much do I!?

Reason for move is that, like many Brits, we have become totally disillusioned with the UK and what it has to offer!

Looking forward to your replies. xx
hi & welcome,
i to am from Hertfordshire , but have been in NZ for almost a year, with 2 kids (now nearly 6 & 4) . we are an hour north of welly & love it. Good luck with everything , esp the wedding , where are you having it ?

oh yes, never been to NZ before either

Last edited by poppets; Apr 5th 2007 at 11:23 am.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome to the forum,

I came from Sunderland with hubby & son (19 yrs old), we've been here 10months and love our new life. We had never been to NZ before. We live midway between Poppets and Welly city.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi & welcome to the forum,

I came from Sunderland with hubby & son (19 yrs old), we've been here 10months and love our new life. We had never been to NZ before. We live midway between Poppets and Welly city.
that makes me sound like a flippin landmark
you watch some one will be looking for Poppets on a map now, that could be interesting if someone there
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poppets
hi & welcome,
i to am from Hertfordshire , but have been in NZ for almost a year, with 2 kids (now nearly 6 & 4) . we are an hour north of welly & love it. Good luck with everything , esp the wedding , where are you having it ?

oh yes, never been to NZ before either
They say the world is getting smaller!

How did you do your move - did you buy blind, just sell up and head off into the sunset, or did you do it the PC way!

We live in Berkhamsted and are getting married at the registry office in Hemel, we've been together for 10 years and have only just managed to get round to it!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

that makes me sound like a flippin landmark
you watch some one will be looking for Poppets on a map now, that could be interesting if someone there
Dear Poppets,

You aren't only a landmark, but part of the fixtures & fittings for British Expats.com
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

They say the world is getting smaller!

How did you do your move - did you buy blind, just sell up and head off into the sunset, or did you do it the PC way!

We live in Berkhamsted and are getting married at the registry office in Hemel, we've been together for 10 years and have only just managed to get round to it!
my boss used to live in Berkhamsted (highfield rd, then anglefield rd), & one of my catering units was in Hemel, on coombe st, the end nr Leighton buzzard rd, . blimey i can still recall the magic roundabout too

anyway i digress, we decided on welly over auckland cos we felt auckland would be too much like london & hubby had worked there for 12 yrs & didn't want that. we also wanted to be commuting distance to the city , but not live right in it , so we had some suburbs of welly picked out, but was really keen on kapiti & researched schools. when we arrived in NZ we had 2 days in auckland & then had a camper van for a week & drove down to Levin (1hr 30 from welly) to stay with some friends (also from Herts!!!!) of my parents. when we visited the Coast we knew it was where we wanted to be. we did do a lot of reasearch on the computer , but the final desision was done in person it was just lucky that the two where the same.
we sold our house in welwyn 2 yrs ago , & moved into rented in WGC, & took it from there. if we hadn't have been accepted into NZ we'd have moved from welwyn anyway, but we was lucky that we got a PR & its all been good, on tuesday it will have been 1 yr since we arrived !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dear Poppets,

You aren't only a landmark, but part of the fixtures & fittings for British Expats.com
so now i'm a dodgy pair of curtains & a yukky lampshade. dear god i hope they don't sell this site or the new owners are in for a shock
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

so now i'm a dodgy pair of curtains & a yukky lampshade. dear god i hope they don't sell this site or the new owners are in for a shock

We could always just put you on Trade Me.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

my boss used to live in Berkhamsted (highfield rd, then anglefield rd), & one of my catering units was in Hemel, on coombe st, the end nr Leighton buzzard rd, . blimey i can still recall the magic roundabout too

anyway i digress, we decided on welly over auckland cos we felt auckland would be too much like london & hubby had worked there for 12 yrs & didn't want that. we also wanted to be commuting distance to the city , but not live right in it , so we had some suburbs of welly picked out, but was really keen on kapiti & researched schools. when we arrived in NZ we had 2 days in auckland & then had a camper van for a week & drove down to Levin (1hr 30 from welly) to stay with some friends (also from Herts!!!!) of my parents. when we visited the Coast we knew it was where we wanted to be. we did do a lot of reasearch on the computer , but the final desision was done in person it was just lucky that the two where the same.
we sold our house in welwyn 2 yrs ago , & moved into rented in WGC, & took it from there. if we hadn't have been accepted into NZ we'd have moved from welwyn anyway, but we was lucky that we got a PR & its all been good, on tuesday it will have been 1 yr since we arrived !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We did one of those online assessments and received a POSITIVE OUTCOME! Do you need to have x amount of capital to move out.

We would like to find a 3/4 bed, 1/2 bathroom house, with private garden and close to the beach for a much under $400,000 as possible!!! Are we asking for too much!?

I must say looking at the number of posts you have made, I think you must be something more impressive than a pair of curtains!!??
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

We could always just put you on Trade Me.
yes but i dread to think of a) what the description would be & b) what the asking price would be

for sale, smutty , vodka drinking, chcolate loving mother of 2. slight touch of tourettes. will take offers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes but i dread to think of a) what the description would be & b) what the asking price would be

for sale, smutty , vodka drinking, chcolate loving mother of 2. slight touch of tourettes. will take offers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spot on honey, you're a star.

Off to bed now - way passed my bedtime, na nite.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

We did one of those online assessments and received a POSITIVE OUTCOME! Do you need to have x amount of capital to move out.

We would like to find a 3/4 bed, 1/2 bathroom house, with private garden and close to the beach for a much under $400,000 as possible!!! Are we asking for too much!?

I must say looking at the number of posts you have made, I think you must be something more impressive than a pair of curtains!!??
i think you need enough cash so you won't burden the state for the first yr, rally as you get no handouts (except family assistance for the kids if you get a PR)

we have just moved (last month) into our own house, 3 beds , 1 bath , needs a bit of work but its a solid house, for less than that sum, so i guess it just depends where you want to be

as for the post count , most of it is probably smutty remarks in the bar................ i have a repuation here !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.