Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do I find the requirements for pets?

Where do I find the requirements for pets?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:06 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where do I find the requirements for pets?

Hi guys

Can someone please point me towards the requirements for bringing pets (notably cats) into New Zealand. We'd be coming from the US, and are aware that the puss-cats would have a one-month quarantine, but what else do we have to do for them? Basically, where are the instructions on what to do to get them over there?

Ta...
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I find the requirements for pets?

Originally Posted by Maz
Hi guys

Can someone please point me towards the requirements for bringing pets (notably cats) into New Zealand. We'd be coming from the US, and are aware that the puss-cats would have a one-month quarantine, but what else do we have to do for them? Basically, where are the instructions on what to do to get them over there?

Ta...
http://www.emigratenz.org/moving-pet...w-zealand.html
http://www.qualifiedpet.co.nz/faqqt.htm
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/
http://www.maf.govt.nz/quarantine/
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:33 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Hi guys

Ta...
Is its occupation on the Absolute Skills shortage list?

If so you should'nt have too much to worry about.

Well the Police checks and medical everyone has to do. Just make sure they are wormed and have had a good clipping.

Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:30 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

You rule! Thanks ever so much poppets.

Jack, what occupation? The cats don't work, unfortunately. Lazy little sods they are. But my work is on the shortage list and my company seems interested in getting me transferred over there.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:35 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Your reputable pet shipping company should be able to provide not only a list of requirements, but the facilities to carry out most of them.
All we've done to the cats is flea, worm and microchip., they do the rest while we head over and wait for them.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:10 am
Maz

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Your reputable pet shipping company should be able to provide not only a list of requirements, but the facilities to carry out most of them.
All we've done to the cats is flea, worm and microchip., they do the rest while we head over and wait for them.
We're in the US, where there's rabies, so I'm sure their jabs for that will need to be renewed (unless it's for life, as they've both had it once). But thanks for the advice!

Odd why this was moved from the Immigration forum... oh well!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:14 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
There are faecal tests, blood tests, tic testing and other time dependant checks which are to be done within a certain time before departure, and the links posted earlier will give more info.
This would probably change from time to time, and we made the rather hard decision to leave the cats with a pet shipping company, and head over to set a home to welcome them when they follow. Hopefully, three to four weeks after we do.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Hi guys

Ta...

I shipped my two kitties from the US to NZ. I think the most important thing
to know is that they must have a rabies titer test at least 6 months before
they are shipped. The posting that includes all the web site links is very
good. I'm sure you're aware that it is extremely expensive to ship the little things, especially if you include all the vet bills you'll accumulate.
We kept our kitties for their one month quarantine at Qualified Pet Services
in Takanini, south of Auckland. It was clean, and the cages spacious.
Also, you must make sure that the chip that is implanted is compatible with the chip reader used by the NZ MAF (Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry).
I was shocked to learn that there is no standard in chipping animals.