Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

when to put your house up for sale?

when to put your house up for sale?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

over50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really nice
Default when to put your house up for sale?

Hi Guys I know I am relateively knew to this site but I have been looking around and have seen some that have put their homes up for sale whilst waiting for EOI to be processed. If you are a skilled worker and have sufficient points do you think it is worth doing it earlier rather than waiting to hear for sure for the ITA. I ask genuinely as we are putting our EOI in as soon as the passports arrive back for the numbers etc for the forms and we have a house to sell also.
Cheers
Dee & Steve
Old Nov 4th 2007, 4:14 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when to put your house up for sale?

If I were you, I'd get it up as soon as possible. Let the agent (if you're using one) know your situation, and give an estimated time of vacancy. After all - if you sell you can always then go and rent - better a sold house than not, believe me. Especially if the equity in the house is what you intend to use to set up in NZ. Ours remains unsold, with ridiculous offers coming in on a dropping market - looks like we'll have to re-rent till next Spring.

Ah well, live and learn!

Good luck to ya.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Wiz'n'ton are absolutely right here. The market seems completely dead at the moment, so don't leave it until the last minute if you are relying on taking your equity with you.

Good luck
Alison
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

mitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant future

put it on the market asap ...

i thought the house would sell quickly and the visa's would be the hold up ..

i was wrong ..the visa's are nearly sorted but the house has been on the market for six months and no offers ..
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

We put ours on the market while putting in EOI as we were pretty sure we would have no problems, the house sold quickly and we went into a short term rental, then stayed with family for a couple of months. We needed the equity for our move so were happy to put the house on the market early.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:24 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Do it soon Dee.

My Sister inlaw has had her house on over towards Higham Ferrers since July and despite dropping the price by £15,000 recently, they have had no offers
Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

over50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really nice

Crickey better think about it now then or maybe get christmas out of the way, no one is going to do anything this side of christmas are they......
Thanks very much Kev and Sarah for letting Frenchy know she has been a great help and turns out we have a few things in common too.....
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Do it soon Dee.

My Sister inlaw has had her house on over towards Higham Ferrers since July and despite dropping the price by £15,000 recently, they have had no offers
Yes Sarah but your sister in law lives there!!! (only kidding)
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Yes Sarah but your sister in law lives there!!! (only kidding)
And if she is anything like Kev... well enough said!!!!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by over50
Hi Guys I know I am relateively knew to this site but I have been looking around and have seen some that have put their homes up for sale whilst waiting for EOI to be processed. If you are a skilled worker and have sufficient points do you think it is worth doing it earlier rather than waiting to hear for sure for the ITA. I ask genuinely as we are putting our EOI in as soon as the passports arrive back for the numbers etc for the forms and we have a house to sell also.
Cheers
Dee & Steve
End of Jan's the best time, in time for spring, you get some looking in December, but they only come to see your Christmas Decs

September to December are dire months for house selling. Ours went up for sale mid-August, not 1 serious offer until March the following year, 4 viewings September to January, 14 in February!!!!