Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's worth taking,what's not.

What's worth taking,what's not.

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's worth taking,what's not.

Originally Posted by kwprwn
we just bought laptop and playstation (hubbys) and also mobile phones (make sure they are not locked to a network), but didnt bring beds or much furniture...I now regret not bringing towels and bed linen as although they are not expensive, I just find that the cheaper ones we bought initially are pretty crap compared to cheaper stuff in the uk, (like tesco/asda bed linen)

I dont have expensive tastes int his sort of stuff, just need it to be practical

also finding that the towels get fluff all over everything even when they have been washed several times, so have to wash them seperately, were as in UK I used to bung them all in together as there are only 2 of us in our house
Any excuse to go shopping M &S towels have always been fine by me.
as a bit of a bargain hunter I enjoyed a quick shop in T.K.MAX this morning and found some lovely thick cream fluffy towels half price. I'd like to walk in there next time and find some cotton bedding
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Thanks for all the useful info, we have a 20ft container booked and planned to take as much as possible (excl kitchen applicances as fairly old). Useful to know we are doing the right thing - also been out today and brought new bedding, pillows and duvets to put in the container!!!

Also from Cambs (Huntingdon)!!!

Judy
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:28 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Hi,

Thanks for all the useful info, we have a 20ft container booked and planned to take as much as possible (excl kitchen applicances as fairly old). Useful to know we are doing the right thing - also been out today and brought new bedding, pillows and duvets to put in the container!!!

Also from Cambs (Huntingdon)!!!

Judy
Where are you headed?
I'm from Ely (parents) then ended up nr. saffron walden, moved to Oz, now here!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Where are you headed?
I'm from Ely (parents) then ended up nr. saffron walden, moved to Oz, now here!
What's so bad about Cambs and the surrounding areas that so many wish to leave? Liverpool I can understand.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:56 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I am living in a village in Ely.

i really dont think there is much wrong with the place. for me, i see what was a nice quiet village just 3 years ago, and now it might just as well be a corridor on the M25.

so much traffic, pollution, houses popping up, people. its a nightmare.

and i thought Brum was bad
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:31 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's worth taking...

Your mobile phone is probably worth taking. I brought mine over and switched the OrangeUK SIM card for a VodafoneNZ SIM card. Luckily my Nokia6310i is Tri-band (GSM/EDGE 900/1800/1900) which means it is compatible with NZ networks.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Know what youmean about the ever steady growth of housing-therefore people and all they bring. The problem is made more obvious the nicer the place is.
I've just got a samsung D600E,quite a nice phone,so wouldn't mind bringing that,but it's not the phone that matters,but the SIM card that matters,so I didn't think mobiles were a problem. Would like to stick with Orange though. Would I need to do anything on arrival in NZ,can you sort it before you leave?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:33 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by danny.f
I've just got a samsung D600E,quite a nice phone,so wouldn't mind bringing that,but it's not the phone that matters,but the SIM card that matters,so I didn't think mobiles were a problem. Would like to stick with Orange though. Would I need to do anything on arrival in NZ,can you sort it before you leave?
No probs with the Samsung D600E - it is tri-band and therefore will work on NZ networks. Orange offer international roaming, which is fine for making phones calls whilst on holiday but may be expensive when people in NZ have to call a UK number to reach your mobile.

NZ's mobile phone operators are limited to Vodafone, Telecom with TelstraClear joining the gang soon. http://www.geekzone.co.nz/

http://www.0044.co.uk/
Is the place where I bought my pre-pay VodafoneNZ SIM card. It didn't cost the earth and enabled me to give the NZ mobile out to friends/family before I left the UK. They also offer a free unlocking service, where your operator has locked your mobile to its network, this sometimes happens with UK per-pay mobiles.

Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asiatic
No probs with the Samsung D600E - it is tri-band and therefore will work on NZ networks. Orange offer international roaming, which is fine for making phones calls whilst on holiday but may be expensive when people in NZ have to call a UK number to reach your mobile.

NZ's mobile phone operators are limited to Vodafone, Telecom with TelstraClear joining the gang soon. http://www.geekzone.co.nz/

http://www.0044.co.uk/
Is the place where I bought my pre-pay VodafoneNZ SIM card. It didn't cost the earth and enabled me to give the NZ mobile out to friends/family before I left the UK. They also offer a free unlocking service, where your operator has locked your mobile to its network, this sometimes happens with UK per-pay mobiles.

Cheers

Nice one asiatic,top advice and should save a load of hassle. Top job.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

What's so bad about Cambs and the surrounding areas that so many wish to leave? Liverpool I can understand.
Nothing to be honest. I was quite happy living near Peterborough. But OH got head-hunted for this job in NZ (same company that he worked for in UK) and we said we'd give it a go for at least 2 years.... you only live once eh?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SarahB
Nothing to be honest. I was quite happy living near Peterborough. But OH got head-hunted for this job in NZ (same company that he worked for in UK) and we said we'd give it a go for at least 2 years.... you only live once eh?

That seems to be the motto for emigrating,and it's spot on. You can stay here and get ripped off all you like,or you take a risk-one of lifes necessities. Give it a go,I think the hassle's worth it,I really do.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

That seems to be the motto for emigrating,and it's spot on. You can stay here and get ripped off all you like,or you take a risk-one of lifes necessities. Give it a go,I think the hassle's worth it,I really do.
Course it is.... nothing is set in stone anyway.... for now we still own a house back in Peterborough but no intentions to go back at the moment. Who knows, I might end up living back in the UK one day but for now I prefer it here.

We nearly came out a few years ago.... OH got offered the job here and we kinda started the process only for me to get pregnant and by then it was too late.... we decided to leave it a few months and then suddenly the company got bought out and went on recruitment freeze. Then December 2004 he got an unexpected email from them again asking if he was still interested in the job... I gotta text from OH saying "wanna move to NZ?" and 6 months later we were here with PR... the whole move was easy tbh.....we were organised and it all went through without a hitch. You gotta try these things when you get the right opportunity.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Course it is.... nothing is set in stone anyway.... for now we still own a house back in Peterborough but no intentions to go back at the moment. Who knows, I might end up living back in the UK one day but for now I prefer it here.

We nearly came out a few years ago.... OH got offered the job here and we kinda started the process only for me to get pregnant and by then it was too late.... we decided to leave it a few months and then suddenly the company got bought out and went on recruitment freeze. Then December 2004 he got an unexpected email from them again asking if he was still interested in the job... I gotta text from OH saying "wanna move to NZ?" and 6 months later we were here with PR... the whole move was easy tbh.....we were organised and it all went through without a hitch. You gotta try these things when you get the right opportunity.
Again you so right. Iagree about the ease of moving-it's really no hassle if it's planned well enough. It defo helps being in the employ that we are,made finding jobs so easy,and that's half the job.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Again you so right. Iagree about the ease of moving-it's really no hassle if it's planned well enough. It defo helps being in the employ that we are,made finding jobs so easy,and that's half the job.
Thats good then. I'm sure it helps you feel more secure if you have a job to go to before hand.

I wrote a list of what I had left to do before leaving UK.... it was huge but in the last few weeks I tried to cross one thing off my list every single day. Oh gosh, I still remember moving like it was yesterday.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats good then. I'm sure it helps you feel more secure if you have a job to go to before hand.

I wrote a list of what I had left to do before leaving UK.... it was huge but in the last few weeks I tried to cross one thing off my list every single day. Oh gosh, I still remember moving like it was yesterday.
Weird,Donna's the same. We've paid for the move and now she wants more and more adding thanks to this site. Preparation is everything.Dull but true. God I love this site-such a laugh!Kids killing eachother,back soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.