Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

whats the weather really like?

whats the weather really like?

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

nixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nice
Default whats the weather really like?

hi al lim looking into emigrating to new zealand next february and wondered what the weather is really like? we did all want to moveto australia but i reallycannot cope with all the massive spiders i dont think.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:46 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: whats the weather really like?

Originally Posted by nixster
hi al lim looking into emigrating to new zealand next february and wondered what the weather is really like? we did all want to moveto australia but i reallycannot cope with all the massive spiders i dont think.
Mostly sunny and in the mid 20's to mid 30's.

Though in New Zealand the weather is very regional.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:19 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the weather really like?

Variable

Click for link.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should really be asking what the spiders are like in NZ

The weather is pretty variable from North to South, as is the difference between Northern Scotland and Cornwall.

The most important thing is that it generally FEELS a lot colder than UK cos the houses are mostly so crap and uninsulated and unheated.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Browner_
Maybe you should really be asking what the spiders are like in NZ

The weather is pretty variable from North to South, as is the difference between Northern Scotland and Cornwall.

The most important thing is that it generally FEELS a lot colder than UK cos the houses are mostly so crap and uninsulated and unheated.
And likewise, (never lived in Scotland), but lived in Cornwall for 10 years - shocking... rain, rain, rain, grey .. sky, people, pavements, attitude- Hell on Earth. Other people would say it's great. I think NZ's great. I tyhink Cornwall is awful;.

2 summers in NZ have lasted for 4-5 months each averaging 27-30 degrees a day.

3 Winters in NZ - this one appears to be harsher than the other 2 in that we've had 4 frosts this week compared to 3 in the last 2 years ...
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

It has winter, spring, summer and autumn.

Autumn tends to be cool but with nice days.Winter is usualy cold. Spring is lovely and summer is generaly hot.

Australia has much better weather (was gorjuss day in Sydney today and is winter) and why worry about the spiders? Its not lke they are going to see somenew blood and come rushing out of the woodwork. I have been here since Feb and seen two large spders, both dead.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:29 am
Just Joined

MissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant future

We have been in NZ since January - when we stepped off the plane we all thought wow the heat. The first few months were lovely we regularly had the windows and slider doors open and the dog would lay outside until 11 ish at night. Now the winter has arrived the house is cold, the windows are covered in condensation and we have had to purchase 3 additional heaters as well as the one fixed heater we have in the house. Needless to say the electricity bill has now soared but feel we have no choice if we want to stay warm. We regularly have to run a dehumidifer and the amount of water this sucks up is shocking. What are we missing about the UK central heating and double glazing big time. We rent a lovely big house although the garden is a lot smaller than we are used to but it is so cold.

We are due to return to the UK late September as things did not work. If we were going to stay in NZ we would certainly look for alternative accommodation. If you do come here seriously consider the area you will live in and the type of housing you buy/rent. Good luck with whatever you decide.

There are also spiders in NZ - the ones with the white backs are really bad news.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MissSunshine
We have been in NZ since January - when we stepped off the plane we all thought wow the heat. The first few months were lovely we regularly had the windows and slider doors open and the dog would lay outside until 11 ish at night. Now the winter has arrived the house is cold, the windows are covered in condensation and we have had to purchase 3 additional heaters as well as the one fixed heater we have in the house. Needless to say the electricity bill has now soared but feel we have no choice if we want to stay warm. We regularly have to run a dehumidifer and the amount of water this sucks up is shocking. What are we missing about the UK central heating and double glazing big time. We rent a lovely big house although the garden is a lot smaller than we are used to but it is so cold.

We are due to return to the UK late September as things did not work. If we were going to stay in NZ we would certainly look for alternative accommodation. If you do come here seriously consider the area you will live in and the type of housing you buy/rent. Good luck with whatever you decide.

There are also spiders in NZ - the ones with the white backs are really bad news.
Would echo everytning you have said - the houses in general are shocking - the one we staying in is a typical wooden house, no insulation and no heating!!!

We have 2 children, 8 and 3 years old, and it has not been a very good experience for any of us - on some days it has been 'warmer' outside than inside!!

I have read / heard that NZ has a lot of issues with chest / breathing / asthma issues and to be honest on our experience I'm not surprised.

People may prattle on about the 7 months ' fantastic weather' every year but I would be more concerned about the health effects about the other 5 months from Easter through to early September.

According to locals if you think the last 6 weeks or so have been bad wait till you get to July - then it gets even worse.

We are returning to the UK early July and can not wait to get back - 4 weeks and counting!! Which part of the UK are you returning to??

All the best for the future with your plans.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MissSunshine

The spiders with the white backs (I assume you are meaning white tail spiders) are not that bad.

Yes, they bite and its painful...but you don't die from it...they do have a tendancy to get infected though and you just go on antibiotics.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

nixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Broaders
Would echo everytning you have said - the houses in general are shocking - the one we staying in is a typical wooden house, no insulation and no heating!!!

We have 2 children, 8 and 3 years old, and it has not been a very good experience for any of us - on some days it has been 'warmer' outside than inside!!

I have read / heard that NZ has a lot of issues with chest / breathing / asthma issues and to be honest on our experience I'm not surprised.

People may prattle on about the 7 months ' fantastic weather' every year but I would be more concerned about the health effects about the other 5 months from Easter through to early September.

According to locals if you think the last 6 weeks or so have been bad wait till you get to July - then it gets even worse.

We are returning to the UK early July and can not wait to get back - 4 weeks and counting!! Which part of the UK are you returning to??

All the best for the future with your plans.
thanks to everyone for all your advice and honesty. after careful discussions with the rest of my clan we have decided to stick with our original dream and go to oz! i will just have to get over my spider fears lol
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:58 am

Good luck! Have friends in Perth who love it!