Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's special about NZ?

What's special about NZ?

Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's special about NZ?

What's special about New Zealand?

My children and grandchildren live there and I live in England - that's why its special to me.

Waiting for my parent visa to be approved - waiting, waiting, waiting, and then hopefully I will be out there with them - then it will be very, very special.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:17 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paula2007
What's special about New Zealand?

My children and grandchildren live there and I live in England - that's why its special to me.

Waiting for my parent visa to be approved - waiting, waiting, waiting, and then hopefully I will be out there with them - then it will be very, very special.
You get your visa very very soon and get to be with them
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:49 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

NZ is special because it's different (small, laidback, quirky, whatever) and happy to be different. That can be frustrating for some, but also can be a lot of fun in a world of conformity.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:23 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija
You get your visa very very soon and get to be with them
Ditto the empathy Kija has expressed
B x
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Talking Re: What's special about NZ?

Thank you Kija and MnB for your kind words. Its November today so another month crossed off. x
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
NZ is special because it's different (small, laidback, quirky, whatever) and happy to be different. That can be frustrating for some, but also can be a lot of fun in a world of conformity.
Quirkiness is a wonderful thing. I don't want to keep comparing NZ to OZ, but there is a growing conformity here in OZ which was less apparent in Kiwiland. Everyday it seems government passes new laws that are designed to regulate our behaviour. Sure, I believe in the rule of law (I lived in an anarchic African country for a few years so I know how chaos sucks) but do I really have to be threatened with a fine for walking across the street when there's no little green man telling me it's safe. Australians seem so risk averse these days that they don't mind the over-bearing bureaucracy and heavy-handed laws. The irreverent "larrikin" is a dying breed.

I think I saw two police cars during my two-week SI road trip. Maybe NZ is too poor to have police hiding behind over corner, but it was a liberating feeling after the police state that Australia is fast becoming.

Any country that can produce "flight of the conchords" is worth taking seriously
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:10 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

i saw 1 police car and they saw me speeding.
i saw a $120 fine.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Budawang
Any country that can produce "flight of the conchords" is worth taking seriously
What about a country that could have but didn't 'produce' 'Flight of the Conchords'? How would that country be worth taking?

Last edited by Black Sheep; Nov 1st 2009 at 11:50 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
What about a country that could have but didn't 'produce' 'Flight of the Conchords'? How would that country be worth taking?
I read it as in Jemaine Clement and Bret MacKenzie were born/produced in NZ ... not the actual physical programme. In other words the Kiwi humour the poster was admiring ...
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:53 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tomsk
I was struggling for an intelligent reply to this one, trying to work out what is so special about NZ for me, and you know, it's not one thing, indeed there's plenty wrong in NZ. But for me, what's special is that it's become home. I'm happy here, I feel like I fit, I feel welcomed by the many friends that I've made since I've been here, and it's just a place which suits me. That's not the answer for everyone quite clearly, but for me, that's it.....NZ is special for me because it's where I truly feel like I belong
Oh that's exactly how I feel Karma for that
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:55 am
Just Joined

baldylocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Budawang
I've been reading this forum for some time and have come to the conclusion that most Brits who move to NZ are financially worse off, but my impression is that many of you are fundamentally happier living there. Migration from the UK to NZ is one of the few instances where large numbers of people are moving from a wealthier country to a less wealthy country. What is NZs secret? Do they put something in the water that makes everyone happy? Are Brits who move there less materialistic than most and searching for something different? I'm guessing the "New Zealand Dream" is different to the "American Dream" or even the "Australian Dream".

On a personal note, I recently spent 2 weeks in the South Island and really liked it. Apart from the nice scenery, I found the people to be courteous and genuinely friendly and open. I'm really tempted to move there, despite realising that my income would be drastically cut if I did so. I don't like the direction Australia is headed - the place is increasingly over-governed and every day there seems to be a new law preventing you from doing something. Everyone is fighting not to be left behind in the "boom economy" where wealth accumulation is paramount. It's a pity because, in many ways, its a wonderful country.
Its just.... Nice.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baldylocks
Its just.... Nice.
You can trade an average UK life, nought special for something quite the opposite in NZ. We did just that and almost 5 years in it keeps getting better.