Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

whats it like in marlbourough region

whats it like in marlbourough region

Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:45 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats it like in marlbourough region

Originally Posted by dlummis
i live in suffolk at the moment and have always been surrounded by farms and fields so i like it remote but i have to think about work and as an electrician i need to find a contractor to work for. whould any of you suggest any areas around christchurch but which is out of the city 1/2 hour drive or something as i like living the village life
thanks
Try looking at Rangiora, Kaiapoi or even Rolleston to the south!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

bandd is an unknown quantity at this point

i am planning on moving my family to this area, can someone tell me what this area is like for schools and work for electricians. looking to live either near kaikoura or down to kaiapoi.
Hi, dlummis!
My Kiwi son-in-law lives in Kaikoura and works on environmental issues for Kaikoura District Council. Quote:

"Electricians are SOUGHT after in Kaikoura. There is a waiting list as long as your arm to get one to do anything! So if this bloke wants to move here and fix electrical devices he would be applauded as he crossed the district boundary; he is bound to get a job."

Regards, Dave
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:24 pm
Banned

tears in the wind is an unknown quantity at this point

i am planning on moving my family to this area, can someone tell me what this area is like for schools and work for electricians. looking to live either near kaikoura or down to kaiapoi.
Hi dlummis
Sounds like you might be in luck if they are looking for electricians in the Kaikoura area according to a previous post I have just read.
I myself spent a lot of my childhood years holidaying in Kaikoura & its surrounding area & loved it. Spent the summers fishing & swimming & couldnt wait to take my kids there for a holiday, show them all the fun things I did etc. Man was I disappointed with their reaction. They were bored to tears & found all the things I liked as a youth totally dull. Must be that the nut has fallen further from the tree than I thought huh? Its a nice place though with a small rural type township. Have no idea what the population is now but dont think its all that big. I think maybe its an ok place for younger children but going by the reaction of my teens I think its a place kids would want to leave as soon as they are able. Dont mean that in a bad way, its just I think young people these days grave the lights of the bigger cities etc & dont think Kaikoura really offers a lot of employment offers that one finds in a City. Still if your keen its not a bad place to start away from the rat race & faster pace of the north island where Ive been living for the past 12 years.
Anyway mate goodluck.
All the best
Matt
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:08 pm
Deb+Chris

:scared: I think this is the first time I've read a post about moving to Kaikoura!!!

We stayed there (all be it for one night only) and boy.. were we glad to get out alive!!!! we thought at one stage we would be chopped to little pieces and left for dead.. never to be found again!! LOL!! nah.. exaggerating a bit but after a day we were bored. (and glad to be alive he he).

We stayed at a homestead.. very beautiful place it was with lovely views.. but couldn't live there in a million years and the 15 year old son of the homestead couple was bored sh*tless.

Is that negative? sorry.. I'm sure you will find a better place to live than Kaikoura and just visit there for a great holiday.

Debs

Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
:scared: I think this is the first time I've read a post about moving to Kaikoura!!!

We stayed there (all be it for one night only) and boy.. were we glad to get out alive!!!! we thought at one stage we would be chopped to little pieces and left for dead.. never to be found again!! LOL!! nah.. exaggerating a bit but after a day we were bored. (and glad to be alive he he).

We stayed at a homestead.. very beautiful place it was with lovely views.. but couldn't live there in a million years and the 15 year old son of the homestead couple was bored sh*tless.

Is that negative? sorry.. I'm sure you will find a better place to live than Kaikoura and just visit there for a great holiday.

Debs
thanks for all your views but i have just been offered a job in christcurch so does anyone know about the villages around this area about 30 mins drive from christchurch and what they are like for schools. i want to be in the country side as thats how i was brought up.
thanks once again
darryn
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:48 am
Banned

tears in the wind is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all your views but i have just been offered a job in christcurch so does anyone know about the villages around this area about 30 mins drive from christchurch and what they are like for schools. i want to be in the country side as thats how i was brought up.
thanks once again
darryn
Hi dlummis
If you read through some of the other forums on here you might see that a lot of people seem to be pushing Kaiapoi & nearby Rangiora as places outside of CHCH that are close to the city but give one a country (rural) lifestyles as well. I havent been to either for a few years now but the last time I was there both of these towns (not too many villages in NZ) were booming with growth so maybe it could be a good idea for you to do some research online about these two places.
Great news re the job in CHCH. Best of luck & hope it all works out for you.

Matt