Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's the best property type to buy???

What's the best property type to buy???

Old May 14th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default What's the best property type to buy???

What's the best to buy old Villa or newish build?

Ok, both my wife and I love the old villa's and no that if we buy one it would be on going maintenance, but my question is what is the best buy, with regards to damp and earth quake proof?

the brick\block built ones now being built or have been built over the last 10-15 years must be the best but I thought I'd throw it out to everyone for debate.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What's the best property type to buy???

LOL buy mine!

Last edited by BEVS; May 15th 2008 at 4:01 am. Reason: Link removed per rule 9.It could be placed in classifieds.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye

Ok, both my wife and I love the old villa's and no that if we buy one it would be on going maintenance, but my question is what is the best buy, with regards to damp and earth quake proof?

the brick\block built ones now being built or have been built over the last 10-15 years must be the best but I thought I'd throw it out to everyone for debate.

I would say go for new unless you have lots of money to keep throwing at it. Standards in housing are so different to the UK - if you go for an old villa you may have to spend thousands of dollars getting it up to spec, it may not be insulated properly etc. You can build in the old style with a firm called character homes I think.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:27 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say it is best, as the asthetics aren't fantastic but if a house is a 1940
State house built in the 1940s and promoted as “ex state house” then definitely look into it (or at least don't write it off). They were very good builds. (I am NOT talking about the manky cardboard stuff that the cheaper houses were built out of). That period was right before they were all built en masse in ‘state house areas’. Which means that there are quite a few ex state houses in areas like Miramar, Khandallah, Melrose, Tawa, Johnsonville, Karori etc etc (I only know Wellington areas to compare it with) with these very well built houses. No leaks.

History lesson again: many of these places were built and never actually rented out. They were purchased outright by particularly young families who lived in them for years. Due to all sorts of historical reasons, not least of which that the original owners are now literally dying off, these houses are available more and more.

They aren’t pretty to look at but structurally good. And they have gorgeous wooden floors made out of the kinds of wood that you would never ever be able to get now

Oh, and if it wasn't subdivided then chances are it has a rather decent sized backyard.

However, it won't be insulated unless it was done after building, and the windows would be barely single glazed, but, like i said, structurally they are good. And they have awesome wooden floors. Which i love

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; May 14th 2008 at 9:29 pm. Reason: forgot stuff
Old May 14th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I see that you are East Sussex. We used to live in Battle. Anywhere near you?
Anyway, to your question. I was a builder in England and the difference in the specification on new houses here is vast. All though things are improoving here. In my opinion, if you have a good knowledge of DIY and fancy a long term project, then there are some really good bargains to be had. There is a serious problem over here with "leaky houses", but a decent builders report will pick that out. Basically, if you`re going to buy older property here then do your homework.
New builds are simple and quick. Nearly all are brick and tile with a timber internal wall. You can decide how well to insulate your home and this will be reflected in the cost. Double glazing is becoming more available and alot of Brits are having it put in.
Personally, I would go with a new build and max out on the insulation.
Ash
Old May 15th 2008, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough

What about earthquakes and the safety of the house if there is an earthquake? Surely bricks aren't a good idea?!
Do NZ building regs take them into account?
Old May 15th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi,

I see that you are East Sussex. We used to live in Battle. Anywhere near you?

Ash
Live in Hove.

Many thanks for all the info, gives me something to chew over whilst waiting to exchange

Last edited by julesnye; May 15th 2008 at 7:19 am.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dezza
What about earthquakes and the safety of the house if there is an earthquake? Surely bricks aren't a good idea?!
I've felt three earthquakes in my life... all of them in the UK! Yet to feel one here in NZ...

In the back of the Yellow Pages is information on what to do in the event of a natural disaster. Go stand in a doorway or under a solid table when an earthquake hits and you can't get outside.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay where in Waitakere City are you? Titirangi, New Lynn or ???
Old May 15th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Some houses here are built on what is known (in the Uk) as a raft , which is basically a concrete platform . I would guess that the idea is that the whole house shakes as one because its on a solid base. In a quake ( apparently the ground moves in waves) a solid platform would ride a wave, whereas a house built on piles/ conventional "footings" would roll with the waves creating more damage.

Ash
Old May 15th 2008, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye

Hi, we wanted an old villa...very glad we ended up with a 1991 build. My mate owns an old villa...cold as you like..indeed our new build was cold too..but it was much easier to make it warm than an old build as it was half well insulated upon construction. We have installed C/H, D/glazing and a battery od dehumidifiers, its very low maintenance too...no wood to rot or paint!! Just a rough cast cement coating walls (over polyesterene) within a wood and steel frame with aluminium windows. House is built on stilts and is allegedly earthquake proof..to a degree.

Best scenario is self build..with a good builder.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dlmckay
I've felt three earthquakes in my life... all of them in the UK! Yet to feel one here in NZ...

In the back of the Yellow Pages is information on what to do in the event of a natural disaster. Go stand in a doorway or under a solid table when an earthquake hits and you can't get outside.
I'm sure a lot of those poor people in China hadn't felt one before either that doesn't mean it won't happen. I believe NZ has many fault lines - which is not the case in the UK - so in theory a major one could happen in NZ at any time.
Of course you don't let the thought of such things affect your everyday life but I think maybe prudent to bear in mind when choosing your humble abode particularly if you have young children. YOu don't want bricks or roof tiles raining down on their heads - there may not be time to get them under a table!
Old May 15th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

there may not be time to get them under a table!
too true, too true
Old May 15th 2008, 10:33 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Don't go outside in an earthquake!
Old May 15th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Don't go outside in an earthquake!
Not me - I'll be too busy hiding under the table

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.