British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   what to wear for flight (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-wear-flight-561592/)

CarolineSwan Sep 15th 2008 8:05 am

what to wear for flight

ok i know this probably sounds stupid, but furthest i have flown is florida, so was wandering what you guys wore and packed to change into during the flight, i have a 2 year old so any info would be great

thanks

caroline

sarahw Sep 15th 2008 9:00 am

Re: what to wear for flight

I always end up either too hot or too cold on the plane so I'd suggest layers are a good idea. Also taking a change of clothes is worth considering.

On one flight from UK to NZ my OH was covered in apple juice by the guy sitting next to him within 2 hours of taking off on the first leg. :mad:

Fortunately he had a change of clothes but it wouldn't have been much fun if he'd had to spend 24 hours slightly damp and sticky :blink:

CAN2NZ Sep 15th 2008 9:13 am

I agree with the above poster. I wore a long sleeve Tshirt because I always find the plane has the potential to be too cold at times and brought a jacket. A change of clothes is a great idea. We brought two changes for each kid in their bags and some for us. The flight is more boring than tough. I mean, you sit for so long and how much tv can anyone watch? However, it all comes to an end with a sigh of relief.

It was fun collecting the bags, going to the immigration officer and she asking each of the kids who they were while she looked at their passports. It was nice. We found we were tired by 9pm every night for weeks and needed to go to bed.

teebrown Sep 15th 2008 9:47 am

On one of our flights there was a guy who changed into his PJ's after laughing for a few mins, I thought actually that was a good idea, I put a pair or slippers in my bag, first thing I do is take my shoes of and slap abit of moisturiser on my face. I would take spare clothes for the kids and me (lightweight stuff) and a couple of nappies for the kids (just in case), my son was 4 when we flew but got hit by a D & V bug whilst on the plane, so the nappies came in real handy!

I also take, ear plugs and eye mask, just so I can stop all the noise around me. I wear loose clothing, my view is, who cares what you look like when you get off a 28 hr flight.

All the best
:thumbsup:

Browner_ Sep 15th 2008 9:50 am

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 6784367)
ok i know this probably sounds stupid, but furthest i have flown is florida, so was wandering what you guys wore and packed to change into during the flight, i have a 2 year old so any info would be great

thanks

caroline

Definitely several layers and definitely a change of clothes, particularly with a 2 yr old. Mine threw her dinner up over me 1 1/2 hrs out of Hong Kong and covered several seats and several other passengers too.

Some parecetamol for the 2 yr old is essential, plus plenty of things to do. Its a big help if the airline has personal screens/computers for each passenger, as it really occupies the youngsters. Singapore Airlines do, so do Air New Zealand, but Lufthansa dont.

love30stm Sep 15th 2008 12:02 pm

I would wear clothes:p

CarolineSwan Sep 15th 2008 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 6784979)
I would wear clothes:p

:lol: that sorted that problem out then tyty :lol:

thanks for all info, was thinking of packing a couple of pairs of jammies for Lucy and maybe a couple changes, just not sure on us yet , but def pack changes.. oh yea and my slippers :lol: cos i always take my shoes of as soon as we take off

caroline

j19fmm Sep 15th 2008 5:54 pm

Some people find jeans very uncomfortable - too many seams! Definitely layers, earplugs, eyemask and a bucket full of moisturiser. Clean underwear,change of top, toothbrush etc.. just realised why I have so much handluggage:huh:

CarolineSwan Sep 15th 2008 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6786017)
Some people find jeans very uncomfortable - too many seams! Definitely layers, earplugs, eyemask and a bucket full of moisturiser. Clean underwear,change of top, toothbrush etc.. just realised why I have so much handluggage:huh:

think i will invest in a cheap track suit, as i dont own one and take a few tops to change into, have a wee toilitries bag packed already with mini tooth paste , brush etc

j19fmm Sep 15th 2008 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 6786339)
think i will invest in a cheap track suit, as i dont own one and take a few tops to change into, have a wee toilitries bag packed already with mini tooth paste , brush etc

I always manage to look like a pile of ***** by the time arrive, no matter what I do! But I guess we all look the same after 28odd hours on the move.Check the drawers in the toilet area early in the flight, that's where the freebies are and they go quick!Those packs of wet wipes/cleansers are useful too.When do you fly out?

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 15th 2008 7:32 pm

Flight socks - reduce the risk of DVT/also stops you getting swollen feet & ankles ;).

j19fmm Sep 15th 2008 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 6786404)
Flight socks - reduce the risk of DVT/also stops you getting swollen feet & ankles ;).

Mmmmm and sooo sexy........:rofl:

CarolineSwan Sep 15th 2008 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6786361)
I always manage to look like a pile of ***** by the time arrive, no matter what I do! But I guess we all look the same after 28odd hours on the move.Check the drawers in the toilet area early in the flight, that's where the freebies are and they go quick!Those packs of wet wipes/cleansers are useful too.When do you fly out?

not booked flights yet but OH job starts on the 15th Dec so looking at maybe the 7th with air NZ via San Fran as i dont want LAX as im scared lol, but we need the luggage allowence as we not sending a container over so will be packing everything
... i will have lucys baby wipes so stocked up in that area .. Freebies in the toilet wow never heard of that b4.. what kind of freebies lol i love a freebie, hell im female of course i do :rofl:

never had the sexy flight socks b4 though i have always said i will get them, and yes i do to look like a pile of s*** after any flight never mind a 30 hour one lol

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 15th 2008 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6786412)
Mmmmm and sooo sexy........:rofl:

So you're planning to join the mile high club (or maybe a member already:sneaky:) & don't want to put any potentials off ,hey?? :rofl:

j19fmm Sep 15th 2008 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 6786418)
.. Freebies in the toilet wow never heard of that b4.. what kind of freebies lol i love a freebie, hell im female of course i do :rofl:

On Korean Air there was soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes.other flights there's been handcream, moisturiser etc. It's worth a look. And on your way off if they send you out through Premium Economy or Business Class casually collect the eyemasks and socks....:rofl:

j19fmm Sep 15th 2008 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 6786434)
So you're planning to join the mile high club (or maybe a member already:sneaky:) & don't want to put any potentials off ,hey?? :rofl:

Was trying to think of something witty....can't.You think the socks would be a put off? Damn!;)

bourbon-biscuit Sep 16th 2008 1:51 am

just back from the long haul myself- we wore comfy bottoms and a t-shirt plus a warmer layer. We put the kids in the same. As soon as you get on the plane it's nice to get shoes off and some thick, warm socks on.

In our hand luggage we packed clean underwear, a wash bag including moisturiser, lipbalm and a pack of lovely t tree wet wipes. We all changed underwear, did teeth, hair and had a wash at both airports (our journey was three plane legs plus a long coach leg). We also had cereal bars that the kids liked as we anticipated them not being hungry when meals were served and being hungry when they weren't! We also bought inflatable neck pillows and these were really great- slept much better for having them, as did kids. I loaded my ipod up and put a talking book on too as you get to a point where you really can't bear any more tv but need entertaining.

But most important of all if you're in a risk category or just worry about it- flight socks. Feel yucky on but no puffy ankles or DVT, so well worth it! I take 1/4 an aspirin a day or so before I fly too for same reason.

To stay comfy on a long haul (well, comfyish) eat lightly and drink heaps of water and juice but lay off the alcohol. Check the kids are drinking too.

Have a good flight :)

crap coffee Sep 16th 2008 3:02 am

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6786448)
On Korean Air there was soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes.other flights there's been handcream, moisturiser etc. It's worth a look. And on your way off if they send you out through Premium Economy or Business Class casually collect the eyemasks and socks....:rofl:

Korean Air provides two different moitruriserS for hands, and face in toilet. they are very good quality Korean moisturiser called "Cham-Zon". as being a fussy a person, am not very keen on using somebody else's FREE crap moisturiser/soap (I'd rather not use) however I was quite happy to use them frequently. if you can prepare a small bottle of face spray for dehydration (indeed I used it quite often while flying) + lip balm and moisture wipes, you will be comfortable enough. That's all you need really. I found the cabin was way too warm and very dry as they keep 24°C :eek: inside. I mean Korean Air. most of the time FAs seem to wear short sleeves. If you feel cold, you can always ask another blanket. so I woudn't take too many clothes or toiletries with me unless you have kids

also don't forget a small bottle of antibacterial hand sanitiser - you need it before eating food

& a couple of disposable gloves - you'd better use them when you go to the toilet - I've seen FAs don't touch bathroom doors - they do wear gloves

Ear plugs - It's very imortant!!!! I always prepare mine but if you ask, they will give you one. well. You can't just say Shut the f*** up to someone next you or behind you when they keep talking in other languages (ex: Chinese :curse:) - yes! I was bloody annoyed by loads of Chinese people around last time on Korean Air! subsequnetly I had to give up sleeping through the night. What can you do about it?! I even asked FA to change my sit! :mad::mad: (not sure why full of Chinese? :blink: on Korean Air?)

teebrown Sep 16th 2008 6:32 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 6787233)
But most important of all if you're in a risk category or just worry about it- flight socks. Feel yucky on but no puffy ankles or DVT, so well worth it! I take 1/4 an aspirin a day or so before I fly too for same reason.

Yes we did the Asprin thing, it's suppose to thin the blood and discourage DVT, I also tried the NZ Jet Lag tablets, but don't think they worked, as I still was jet lagged for a week afterwards.

CarolineSwan Sep 17th 2008 7:43 am

just ordered lovely sanctuary spa travel bottles for the journey, i think if i look like crap i may aswell smell good lol.... is there a limit to what your allowed to take , the bottles are 50 ml or 75 ml size but are you limited to how many you can take ( only asking as my friend said yesterday your only allowed 200 ml in total , i do think she was talking crap lol but just checking) also i read somewhere that they take your toilitries of you now some times .. has this happened to anyone if the are small sample bottles???

teebrown Sep 17th 2008 10:41 am

We did have items taken off us, but that was at the hight of the security scare, to be totally sure, I would look at the airline website and the airport website where you will be flying from and get it from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Good luck

Am Loolah Sep 17th 2008 10:45 am

I would echo what others have said, the inflatable neck pillows are good and the flight socks, and you can buy a facial spritzer which can be nice.

Personally I thought the flight socks complimented my outfit of tiara, wand and fairy wings handsomely.:confused:

CarolineSwan Sep 17th 2008 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 6792061)
I would echo what others have said, the inflatable neck pillows are good and the flight socks, and you can buy a facial spritzer which can be nice.

Personally I thought the flight socks complimented my outfit of tiara, wand and fairy wings handsomely.:confused:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i can just see you now :rofl:

pumpkinlou Sep 17th 2008 7:29 pm

This is a fab thread as I have been mulling this over myself, as we fly in just over 4 weeks :ohmy:

Can anyone offer any advice as to what sort of luggage you used/plan to use. haven't bought any yet. There's me, OH and 2 and 4 year old daughters, plus buggy. It's really the cabin luggage. Just wondered if those of you esp. with little ones had any advice re little cases with wheels, or just a couple of holdalls or backpacks. So much going on in my head I can't make a simple decision aaaaaarrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Panicking Pumpkin

j19fmm Sep 17th 2008 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 6793845)
This is a fab thread as I have been mulling this over myself, as we fly in just over 4 weeks :ohmy:

Can anyone offer any advice as to what sort of luggage you used/plan to use. haven't bought any yet. There's me, OH and 2 and 4 year old daughters, plus buggy. It's really the cabin luggage. Just wondered if those of you esp. with little ones had any advice re little cases with wheels, or just a couple of holdalls or backpacks. So much going on in my head I can't make a simple decision aaaaaarrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Panicking Pumpkin

Hey Pumpkin, my 2 little loves each have their own backpack (youngest was 4 the first time) I put lots of little gifts and toys, colouring stuff and paper. I also put their change of clothes in it. They also had small suitcases to check in, ones with wheels that they could pull around the terminal.Not sure how your littlest will do but they do seem to enjoy carrying their own stuff! Nowadays its more of the DSLite and books!
I always take a backpack/daysack so that my hands are free for suitcase on wheels!
Got a set of 3 suitcases from Argos pretty cheap and they've done 3 trips back and forth so far - trip number 4 next month!:thumbup:

teebrown Sep 17th 2008 8:02 pm

All the advice i would offer is don't put all the clothes for one person in one suitcase, spread them all out equally, just in case one goes missing. Also we prefer the holdalls on wheels to pack, they just seems to squash down really flat when unpacked.

good luck

Kimi-Deacon Sep 17th 2008 8:37 pm

We flew out about 11 days ago, we flew with Malaysian Airlines ( would recommend them) we were 6kg over weight, when we checked in at LHR the woman on the desk commented on the weight but didn't make us pay.

In Malaysia when we checked in for the flight to Auckland they never said a word. When we flew from Auckland to welly everything was ok until we got to the gate and then the woman on the gate stopped me and wanted to weigh my hand luggage, she just picked it up, glared at me and said thats ok, also while we were at the gate they made an announcement that only one piece of hand luggage was allowed, yet on the international flight, i was allowed my handbag and a small cabin size case, so be aware that you might have to check in extra luggage on internal flights.

I think if you fly with the same airline all the way, they dont worry so much. i used a squashy bag on wheels to check in to the hold, as i found this held more than my suitcase, if you are concerned about weight i would go for the holdall on wheels as they weigh less initially.

Any way enough of the ramblings, have a Safe Journey PumpkinLou, im sure you will love welly, the weather has gotten better since we arrived, so you should arrive in time for the sunshine.

Steph.

pumpkinlou Sep 17th 2008 8:40 pm

:)

Thanks for the advice. Have looked at the holdalls on wheels, they look really good. Have got a backpack, so will check out luggage for the girls.

ta

xxxxxx

jojobooster Sep 18th 2008 7:51 am

One of my kids froze on the flight from LAX to Auckland inspite of layers and a blanket. She went blue and needed oxygen, though recovered quickly enough. So I would pack loads of extra layers/ thermals if we did it again:o

CarolineSwan Sep 18th 2008 7:53 am

hi

we have to large suit cases that we bought for florida this year as we had out baby's stuff to get in it, we will use those but i ordered 4 wheelie holdolls from argos this week. they arrived yesterday and they look huge lol they hold 121 litres and they were less than a tenner.. just type in wheel luggage in argos searcg and they are the ones than cost 9.97 . i just dont see the point of spending fortunes as i hope i dont use them all again.. as for hand luggage i have a bag from morgan that i won on ebay this year for like 7 quid and you can fit lots in it , i think they originaly from avon, i paid 5 quid for it new just type morgan flight bag into search engine. OH has bought a laptop case thing for his, but it not the usual kind the lap top fits in a padded bit on bottom then lots of room for all his rubbish it was 35 quid but worth it as it will get used alot so think i will get one for me to and let lucy have the morgan one as will have lots of nappys for her to pack etc

anyway hope some of this helps

oh and with the temp thing i always pack lucys wee fleece blanket to keep her warm and it folds down to nothing really ,
caroline

CarolineSwan Sep 18th 2008 7:55 am

Originally Posted by jojobooster (Post 6795429)
One of my kids froze on the flight from LAX to Auckland inspite of layers and a blanket. She went blue and needed oxygen, though recovered quickly enough. So I would pack loads of extra layers/ thermals if we did it again:o

wow thats bad, and must of been scary... will def dress Lucy in layers for the plane journey and can just remove some if she to warm

caroline

pumpkinlou Sep 18th 2008 8:47 am

thanx Caroline

Am just gonna order some holdalls from Argos! We are taking laptops with us. Where are you getting your laptop bag from? We only have the cheap one that fits the laptop but nothing else! So your hubbies sounds good.

Will definitely dress the girls in lots of layers. Thanx for the advice ladies!

Lou
xxxxx

vincesam Sep 18th 2008 3:46 pm

Hi

we did the fly last Xmas, going via Hong Kong.

Best thing, as everyone has suggested is layers....we went Air NZ, premium economy and had seats in the upstairs part of the plane and it was BOILING hot;).

We each took a small bag with a separate change of clothes and once @ Hong Kong airport, go up to the top level and there are great showers you can use. Think it was about $7 US dollars, private cubicle with wooden locking door on, towels, shower gel etc all provided. Fab !

You can get small packets of anti-deodorant wipes too from Tesco/Boots which are handy if you've got a fella that sweats a lot !

CarolineSwan Sep 18th 2008 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 6795589)
thanx Caroline

Am just gonna order some holdalls from Argos! We are taking laptops with us. Where are you getting your laptop bag from? We only have the cheap one that fits the laptop but nothing else! So your hubbies sounds good.

Will definitely dress the girls in lots of layers. Thanx for the advice ladies!

Lou
xxxxx

hi pumpkin

not sure where he got bag but will ask him when he gets home

just been out today and bought all my travel stuff lol toiletries etc oh im getting excited hehe.. also bought a nice velour track suit and a few t shirts to change in the journey all out of pradamark lol so dont care if they get wrecked oh and a wee pair of slippers . i will let you knoe later about his bag

caz

CarolineSwan Sep 18th 2008 5:14 pm

hi again

ok im on Air Newzealand's web site looking at baggage allowence stuff .. it states the usaual all liquids must be 100ml or under and must all fit nicely into a clear fastening bag etc etc what i want to know is can u not use a wee toilet bag , only asking as since all the plastic bag stuff came in to operation i havnt once used once and always just used my bag and if so where do you get these bags?

also in another page it says the following
Exemptions to the restrictions on liquids and gels apply if they are to be used during the trip and are
either needed for medical purposes or are a special dietary requirement, including baby milk/food.

so does this mean you can use bigger than 100 ml bottle as they will be used to get washed and such things?

it also said personal items are allowed such as hand bags and slim line laptops so im taking that as i can have my hand luggage plus my hand bag or my lap top .. i swear they make the rules up every page lol ..

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/befor...in-baggage.htm
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/resources/step_dec06.pdf

just in case anyone wants the links for own use

caz

Margaret Parkinson Sep 18th 2008 5:32 pm

I have only flown from Manchester in the Uk but if liquid items are not in a plastic bag they will give you one so that they can be transferred into it. The same thing happened at Auckland Airport as well. So you can imagine the hold up if everyone is swapping things over. So my advice to you is have your things in a plastic bag already and you will sail through. You cannot take bottles of water but you can buy them once through passport control. My opinion its just another way to make the customer pay more.

June

CarolineSwan Sep 18th 2008 6:46 pm

hi lou

here is the link for laptop case http://www.laptopstuff.co.uk/p/TechA..._Briefcase.htm

hope this helps

caz

pumpkinlou Sep 18th 2008 8:14 pm

Hiya Caz,

Thanx for that.

Check out Marks and Spencers website for travel an bauty products. they have a clear plastic bag and little bottles which look good. You can put your fave products in for the flight.

When and where are you going Caz?

Lou
xxxxxx

CarolineSwan Sep 18th 2008 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 6797784)
Hiya Caz,

Thanx for that.

Check out Marks and Spencers website for travel an bauty products. they have a clear plastic bag and little bottles which look good. You can put your fave products in for the flight.

When and where are you going Caz?

Lou
xxxxxx

ty , wish id looked earlier been on for ages looking for clear bags that dont cost a fortune lol,

we are going to New Plymouth at 1st then hawera OH job starts on 15th Dec so not long now. :D where are you going ?

caz

CarolineSwan Sep 18th 2008 9:00 pm

they bags are great, i have our wee toiletry items anyway so only need the clear bag, going to order the set of 3 and will do for each of our own wee things, ty so much for that

caz :)