Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What a Wake up Call!!!

What a Wake up Call!!!

Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of
Smile What a Wake up Call!!!

In June this year we (Hubby and I) began looking at the possibilty of moving to NZ. We had always wanted to go 'somewhere'. Aus was not an option as neither of us really fancied it. So we looked into NZ and done bucket loads of research. I also joined a few websites and read as much as I could.

We both decided that if we was going to make the move then NZ was for us!

Hubby went off and got his CV done and then I started sending it out by email to prospective employers. His job is on the Long Term Skills Shortage.

He was contacted in September and was asked to do a phone interview. He eventually had two and then we did not hear anything for what seemed like ages. Hope begun to fade!

He then got a phone call and was invited to an interview in London at the end of November. We both had to attend.

Again, we did not hear anything.

I began to think that these sort of things did not happen to us!

Not lucky at all!

Today . . . . . . . . . . Hubby had an email . . . . . . . a very nice letter . . . . . and

CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT

The contract includes flights for him and me, accomodation for a month, a daily food allowance and removal expenses!

The job is based in Auckland.

Once he accepts the job we will be contacted by their relocation lady and she will help with the paperwork.

Having never been to NZ (and reading some posters thoughts on that!) I am now having a meltdown!

Where to begin?

I hope I do not drive you all nuts asking for advice and your thoughts over the coming weeks.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all
Default Re: What a Wake up Call!!!

Originally Posted by banshigirl
In June this year we (Hubby and I) began looking at the possibilty of moving to NZ. We had always wanted to go 'somewhere'. Aus was not an option as neither of us really fancied it. So we looked into NZ and done bucket loads of research. I also joined a few websites and read as much as I could.

We both decided that if we was going to make the move then NZ was for us!

Hubby went off and got his CV done and then I started sending it out by email to prospective employers. His job is on the Long Term Skills Shortage.

He was contacted in September and was asked to do a phone interview. He eventually had two and then we did not hear anything for what seemed like ages. Hope begun to fade!

He then got a phone call and was invited to an interview in London at the end of November. We both had to attend.

Again, we did not hear anything.

I began to think that these sort of things did not happen to us!

Not lucky at all!

Today . . . . . . . . . . Hubby had an email . . . . . . . a very nice letter . . . . . and

CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT

The contract includes flights for him and me, accomodation for a month, a daily food allowance and removal expenses!

The job is based in Auckland.

Once he accepts the job we will be contacted by their relocation lady and she will help with the paperwork.

Having never been to NZ (and reading some posters thoughts on that!) I am now having a meltdown!

Where to begin?

I hope I do not drive you all nuts asking for advice and your thoughts over the coming weeks.
Wow. Sounds great. Wish that would happen to us! What does your hubby do? Mine is in IT and his job is on the Immediate Skills shortage list but we're not getting ANYWHERE with interviews. Lots of thanks but no thanks replies....: (
Anyway. Congrats and good luck.
sarah
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:55 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

That's fantastic! Well done to you both. Where is the job based? Lots of people will have an opinion on the best place to live
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the Muts Nuts of great news - congratulations! What sort of work is he going to be doing? Who for?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Thanks for your good wishes.

The job is based in Auckland, but will be required to travel. (So will appreciate (sp) some info on good areas to live within about 30-45 mile radius!)

My Hubby has a complicated job! He is an underpinner/contaminated ground surveyor. He also has worked in high risk/security places (Buck Palace being one of them). He drive a 40 metre drilling rig at the moment but has underpinned from a barge!

I am so excited but can't get my head together enough to know where to start. Having serious discussions at the moment and have set deadline of tomorrow night fr us to think on our own and come back with definate answer. Not going to pressure each other just take a breather and list pro's and con's and then have a chat tomorrow!

Although I can say ' When's my flight?'
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your good wishes.

The job is based in Auckland, but will be required to travel. (So will appreciate (sp) some info on good areas to live within about 30-45 mile radius!)

My Hubby has a complicated job! He is an underpinner/contaminated ground surveyor. He also has worked in high risk/security places (Buck Palace being one of them). He drive a 40 metre drilling rig at the moment but has underpinned from a barge!

I am so excited but can't get my head together enough to know where to start. Having serious discussions at the moment and have set deadline of tomorrow night fr us to think on our own and come back with definate answer. Not going to pressure each other just take a breather and list pro's and con's and then have a chat tomorrow!

Although I can say ' When's my flight?'

Congrats!!!!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely brilliant news Debi - I knew it would all come together for you. Take a deep breath and ask this brilliant forum anything you want.

See you on Friday :-)
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Absolutely brilliant news Debi - I knew it would all come together for you. Take a deep breath and ask this brilliant forum anything you want.

See you on Friday :-)
I am unable to come Friday, Cappucino, as I am watching GREASE in Piccadilly Theatre.

But.....Banshigirl, bloody congrats mate. Not another of the Essex posse flying over!!

Well done.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:51 pm
Banned

lissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nice

lucky you hunni we are trying to get started on the whole process but can't decide between oz or nz !!!

good luck to you both x
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lissaloo
lucky you hunni we are trying to get started on the whole process but can't decide between oz or nz !!!

good luck to you both x
Come over to NZ.......no creepy crawlies that can kill ya and the people are better so I have heard
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

madmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud of

Congratulations and good luck
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies. We have now accepted the contract and are planning on getting there for May! (Scary)

We are to be based in or near Auckland and will be in a motel for the first month. So thequestions start!

Where would be the best place to look for rentals? Hubs job is not based in Auckland as he will be doing site work so off and about mostly.

As I a going on the back of Hubs visa I will ned to get a job. Is it easy to sign up to agencies?

What paperwork should we bring in hand luggage?

We have been married for 14 years this year and our marriage cerificate is in Spanish as we got married in the Dominican do I need to get this translated?

Thanks for looking and any help is gratefully recieved.

Debs
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:14 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Thanks for all your replies. We have now accepted the contract and are planning on getting there for May! (Scary)

We are to be based in or near Auckland and will be in a motel for the first month. So thequestions start!

Where would be the best place to look for rentals? Hubs job is not based in Auckland as he will be doing site work so off and about mostly.

As I a going on the back of Hubs visa I will ned to get a job. Is it easy to sign up to agencies?

What paperwork should we bring in hand luggage?

We have been married for 14 years this year and our marriage cerificate is in Spanish as we got married in the Dominican do I need to get this translated?

Thanks for looking and any help is gratefully recieved.

Debs
Have you been down the EOI/ITA route
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

EoI is being checked by our immigration lady connected to Hubs job.

So we will be going for PR but if it gets delayed will be going for WTR?

Why? Just curious about my position.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:23 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Excellent, I was worried you may not be up to speed and you might be delayed.
There can be delays you know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.