Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What type of climate do different areas have in New Zealand

What type of climate do different areas have in New Zealand

Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:28 pm
Whatever will be will be

alyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant future
Wink What type of climate do different areas have in New Zealand

Can anyone inform me of the warmest part of NZ? what's Northland like??? just enquirying about climates and areas.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:50 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Warmest part

Originally Posted by alyj
Can anyone inform me of the warmest part of NZ? what's Northland like??? just asking about climates and areas.
Alexandria in Central Otago has the biggest extremes with it often being the hottest in summer, but coldest in winter. Blenheim has the most sunshine hours and Nelson is quite sunny as well. Christchurch does have a few frost mornings each year, but it has glorious summer weather.

Northland would probably be the most mild as far as year round temperatures go, but the Bay of Plenty and Hawkes Bay may be just as nice.

If you want year round warm weather maybe you should consider immigrating to North Queensland in Australia. It looks like a nice place.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: What type of climate do different areas have in New Zealand

I've split this off from the cost of living thread as it is a brand new topic.

We live in Nelson and Bays. Our weather is quite med. like . Sort of South of Italy in a way. We have hot summers and mild winters for the most part.
We do get ground frosts in the Winter but mostly they clear up mid-morning due to the sun. Snow is only seen on the mountains in the distance.
There are rainy times which is needed as we have vineyards and farming here.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

were in Auckland...we arrived last july(winter) and we must have looked silly,we were in the pool and sunbathing in july(well we did move from Scotland) and apart from the rain,the winter here was like our summer....

although now we have had a summer here we will probably find it a bit more cooler this winter....

but the summer in Auckland is hot and humid,we sometimes wish it would just cool down at night so you can get a decent nights sleep(without having to run fans all night)most nights its about 18-21....

but i do like having the seasons,couldn't do all year round sunshine,not for me i'm afraid...jacky
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Well today it is mostly being Hot! Everywhere! DAM HOT even in places!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Whats Christchurch's weather like end of March?

Gary.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:15 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

End of March? NIWA (weather people here) say that the run of dry weather we are currently having will go through until the end of April, so I'd be confident in saying dry, warm and windy.

Today it is sunny, hot and 27 degrees in the shade. Niiiiice

I'll save some for you mate - be sure to bring your togs (swim stuff) as New Brighton beach will be waiting for you
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone inform me of the warmest part of NZ? what's Northland like??? just enquirying about climates and areas.
Northland is absolutely gorgeous. They call it the "Winterless North" so I think the name says it all. Although sometimes it does rain up there.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:30 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Alexandria in Central Otago has the biggest extremes with it often being the hottest in summer, but coldest in winter. Blenheim has the most sunshine hours and Nelson is quite sunny as well. Christchurch does have a few frost mornings each year, but it has glorious summer weather.

Northland would probably be the most mild as far as year round temperatures go, but the Bay of Plenty and Hawkes Bay may be just as nice.

Although Northland has humidity (and flooding issues) while Hawkes Bay has a dry heat climate- quite similar to the med. Long hot summers where the landscape goes brown and wilted and short mild winters with snow visible on the mountains. The real comparison between Hawkes Bay and BOP is that Tauranga is a bigger city more accessible to the rest of North Island but housing is the most unaffordable in NZ, whilst Hawkes Bay is more isolated from the rest of North Island and has only the twin cities of Napier and Hastings readily accessible for work etc, but is the second most affordable area after Dunedin

Originally Posted by happynz
If you want year round warm weather maybe you should consider immigrating to North Queensland in Australia. It looks like a nice place.
Oh, I really don't agree with that comment as North Queensland really couldn't be described as 'year round warm weather' ....

Also, you can migrate to NZ for better weather than the UK but you need to pick your area as there are many micro climates here- it's always such a surprise to me when I drive out of Hawkes Bay up the Taupo etc!

Northland- warm and humid
Bay of Plenty & Hawkes Bay- warm and dry. this is my second summer here in HB and the summer is long, hot and the backdrop of the cicadas only stops in the middle of the night- it's glorious climate-wise
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:33 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The "winterless north" - always makes me laugh that one -Kiwi folklore and legend, most people still have woodburners there.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:37 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
The "winterless north" - always makes me laugh that one -Kiwi folklore and legend, most people still have woodburners there.
But in comparison with Scotland and the Midlands it *is* winterless!!!! I don't think they were comparing with Oz when it adopted that name.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

LOL! That's true! But everytime I go up there it's glorious weather even in the winter.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
But in comparison with Scotland and the Midlands it *is* winterless!!!! I don't think they were comparing with Oz when it adopted that name.
LOL, right, they were prolly comparing it with Scotland and the Midlands.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:08 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Huh? That's like saying Scotland is winterless compared to the Arctic circle. Either there's a winter or there isn't.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:30 am
---

Huh? That's like saying Scotland is winterless compared to the Arctic circle. Either there's a winter or there isn't.
I guess we'd have to define winter then. Northland is subtropical and winter temperatures are often in the teens with a mean temperature of about 12 degrees- sounds fairly unwinter like to me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.