Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

what to take with me to nz when we move

what to take with me to nz when we move

Old Sep 21st 2015, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

allyokay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what to take with me to nz when we move

I'm a bit confused, can someone help me. I've read that the recommendation is to take electrical appliances that run on 2400kw or less. Items that heat up i.e. hair driers kettles toasters etc are more likely to be higher so the advice is check carefully. So, I'm looking on Noel Leemings at kettles to buy when we get there and the first one I check out has a 3kw element. Please, sparky crash course needed, thanks.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:19 pm
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you're getting 2400 kw mixed up with 240 volts. Appliances don't run on watts, they consume watts. Besides which if you did have something that was rated 2400 kw you'd probably take out the power for most of the neighbourhood . 3 kw kettles are fine, either from the UK or NZ. Most are made in China anyway!
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

So this will be okay?

Dualit Classic Kettle - Polished Stainless Steel Homeware | TheHut.com

Ahh ! Ive just found this - it would appear that up to 2400 you use a 10amp plug (which is what they use in NZ?) and over that its a 13amp plug (which we use in the UK) An electrician friend in NZ has just messaged me to say that if I changed it would be tricky although I could change the socket

2400 Watts = 10.43 Amp
2500 Watts = 10.87 Amp
2600 Watts = 11.30 Amp
2700 Watts = 11.74 Amp
2800 Watts = 12.17Amp
2900 Watts = 12.61 Amp
3000 Watts = 13.04 Amp
3100 Watts = 13.48 Amp
3200 Watts = 13.91 Amp
3300 Watts = 14.35 Amp
3400 Watts = 14.78 Amp
3500 Watts = 15.22Amp

Last edited by allyokay; Sep 21st 2015 at 10:53 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Fasouri is an unknown quantity at this point

Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman have frequent sales (sometimes too frequent) with 20% off white-ware. Fridge freezers here do leak in the central north island when sulphur corrodes the joints. We had ours resealed 3 times in 14 years before buying new.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 4:02 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allyokay
So this will be okay?
OK think you really are over thinking all this. to be honest you will have to buy stuff here just to get by before the container turns up, so things like kettles, toasters etc will probably be on that list of things to buy within the first few days of getting here, unless you want to bring them in hand luggage
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

We've got a camper van out there with all the essentials in it but they're pretty basic. I had set my heart on a top of the range Dualit kettle and toaster but it looks like I won't be able to have it (the kettle) because while I think it would work I don't think its the best idea.
What confused me was the first Kettle I see in Noel Leeming is the Dualit kettle that I want, 3000w so I'm thinking some people in New Zealand must be using theses kettle or the wouldn't be selling them. I suppose they've had their wiring changed (for specific plugs) - as my electrician friend suggested. Thanks everyone for your help and personal messages, I've got it sorted in my mind now, gonna get a kettle that runs on (or consumes) 2400w. Cheers x
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 10:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Crike. What is this all about. If you do not already have said kettle , buy it here.If you already have said kettle, then either use an adaptor or change the plug.I think you need to have a proper chat with your NZ sparky pal as he doesn't seem to be explaining very well.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Bevs, it's not rocket science.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, like I have said I have it sorted in my mind now. Rocket science or not Its good to feel safe, don't you agree?
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, of course The problem with this forum (and others like it) is that the tone and humour of some questions and replies gets lost in the ether and the blank words on screen can appear rude or unkind. I have often posted something and been hurt by the acerbic reply which may - or may not - have been intended. Also, some of the posts appear a bit naive to some and not to others. There are also some people who may enjoy slagging off everything just for the sake of it: those who have lost the joy in their lives and want to suck it out of your life too!! Don't be put off by them and ask your questions! The moderators step in if things get a bit...spicy?!
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Whatever makes you all happy.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 9:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you are very worried about overseas plugs and adapters , then buy your appliances here. From what I can see this kettle will be around the same price here in NZ or perhaps less if you bargain .

There is nothing complicated about the electrics here. Plugs do not have fuses - but you will know that from your sparky pal.If you buy the kettle in the UK and have it in your container for six weeks before using with an adaptor , it will be safe. If you change the plug , it will be safe unless you wire the plug incorrectly, however you can have someone ( sparky pal) wire the plugs for you. The wiring will be the exact same for UK and NZ. Both will have been probably made in China at the same factory.

I have a hair dryer still going on an adaptor the past eleven years and an iron on a changed plug which has never given a moments concern.

Really, as MrsFychan says, do not overthink and get into a knot about the small stuff. If you are that concerned, buy the thing here.Save your energy for the big move.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 22nd 2015 at 11:54 pm. Reason: formatting blip is fixed so sorting my post
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

sazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to behold

Bring everything absolutely everything!
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

sazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sazzle1979
Bring everything absolutely everything!
Although having said that.... outdoors stuff - garden furniture / BBQ's etc are very good value here as are lawnmowers

Have a look at some of the websites Harvey Norman (expensive) and smiths city they will give you an idea on cost.

If you can fit bed linen in thats worth it as that can be quite expensive here.

clothes.. I would have brought more clothes, infact i am planning a good old stock up everywhere from Primark to Ted Baker this christmas!
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
OK think you really are over thinking all this. to be honest you will have to buy stuff here just to get by before the container turns up, so things like kettles, toasters etc will probably be on that list of things to buy within the first few days of getting here, unless you want to bring them in hand luggage
Good point - we lived with a $5 warehouse toaster and kettle for months - they did the job just fine until our stuff arrived

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.