Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to pack for the flight???

What to pack for the flight???

Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Mattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the rough
Default What to pack for the flight???

Hi all,

We are just sorting out a dummy run for our suitcases and are wondering 'is there something that we should definitely bring over, that isn't obvious?' Our house is getting packed up on Tuesday and we don't want them packing something up that we really need to start off with? And yes we will have pants!!

Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:00 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to pack for the flight???

Originally Posted by Mattyk
Hi all,

We are just sorting out a dummy run for our suitcases and are wondering 'is there something that we should definitely bring over, that isn't obvious?' Our house is getting packed up on Tuesday and we don't want them packing something up that we really need to start off with? And yes we will have pants!!

Ha Ha pants are about to become trousers for you. I would def bring an adapter for uk to nz plugs if your bringing any electrical items. Was charging my mobile in first hotel we stayed in. Good luck.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mattyk
Hi all,

Don't forget important paper work, birth, marriage, certificates, references for jobs if you haven't already secured one and your CV etc. Warm clothes, still a bit chilly here and of course clothes for the sunny days. Good luck with the trip.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

British Tea PG Tips, Tetely, Yorkshire etc
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shirl
Don't forget important paper work, birth, marriage, certificates, references for jobs if you haven't already secured one and your CV etc. Warm clothes, still a bit chilly here and of course clothes for the sunny days. Good luck with the trip.
We carried all the originals in our hand luggage and photocopies in our cases of these - just to be on the safe side ...
Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a Wii for the kids, take that. They are only light and small and will give the kids something to play with when they get there.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:51 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

If you have kids and they are of school age, you will need your Red Books. Their school will ask for proof of immunisation when they enrol.

We bought 2 Uk adapters with us ( 3 kids!!!). I also threw in our address book and made sure I had got phone numbers for call centres of bank, Vodafone etc written in there. Also much to my kids disgust, we bought a dictionary for homework and a calculator. The kids bought their pencil cases in their handluggage and used them on the plane to keep them occupied.

Happy packing
Old Sep 7th 2008, 10:42 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Adapter Board (or whatever they are called - the ones with four plugs).

Cheap phones from Argos that you have unlocked. Then sell them here

A book of the town where you are from. Ok, that is a bit of a nerdy thing to take. Perhaps it is just me but I like to see stuff like that when I visit people.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

As above,

also if you have kids, stock up on cheap supermarket clothes .... and shoes!!

Errmmm ... indigesion tablets (not cos the food is bad, but they are expensive here!) ....

Other than that, we've found you can get pretty much the same stuff that you can in the UK for a comparible cost.

Oh, electricals are a tad dearer ... so if you NEED a new laptop, mobile phone, defo buy in UK first!

Lou
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:13 am
Just Joined

TOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crap coffee
British Tea PG Tips, Tetely, Yorkshire etc

Fortunately we have no problem getting PG Tips - our local Pak'n'Save stocks them as standard and they are not expensive

Pauline
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with above - except I'm not sure about laptops being cheaper. I have a brief work visit to UK coming up and was thinking of buying a new laptop while there. However, all the price comparisons I have done (using ebuyer-co-uk and pricespy-co-nz show that UK is currently about 10-15% more expensive than NZ, for an exchange rate of 2.6. Plus, you're losing the advantage of a local retailer if it goes wrong.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:12 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I agree with above - except I'm not sure about laptops being cheaper. I have a brief work visit to UK coming up and was thinking of buying a new laptop while there. However, all the price comparisons I have done (using ebuyer-co-uk and pricespy-co-nz show that UK is currently about 10-15% more expensive than NZ, for an exchange rate of 2.6. Plus, you're losing the advantage of a local retailer if it goes wrong.

I know you used to live here so am sure you know where to look for good prices, but if not we use Dabs, Dell & Amazon online for all our computer/electronic needs. (And Apple for DH) I'm ex IT industry, I think you're still in IT, so you may even know better places! Also, we tend to use very highly spec'd, premium brands, so depending on what you're after, this may or may not be a helpful tip.

Have a good trip. We're coming your way for Christmas. I'm ordering a good one.