Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is it with this obsession with guns?

What is it with this obsession with guns?

Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is it with this obsession with guns?

Originally Posted by Nerine
It's not uncommon to hear blokes sitting around bragging about what they are going to blow the **** out of on the weekend. The fact that some of them are considered safe enough to carry weapons really surprises me.
I hear you there.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:17 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I used to hunt when I was younger, but probably wouldn't now (except maybe duckshooting).

Whether you agree with it or not, the fact that a lot of blokes enjoy hunting should not be that hard to understand. It is the result of thousands of years of genetic breeding. Men who were good at hunting tended to survive and flourish, and their genes were continued.

Just because we can buy meat now from a supermarket doesn't change the way we are. There is something to be said for men having an outlet for their naturally aggressive tendencies, rather than the violence you can see at pub closing time.

That said, blowing the **** out of animals does seem a bit bloodthirsty, and perhaps indicates a lack of respect for both the danger of the firearms, and the target animal.

But on the whole, I have more respect for the morality of hunters who kill animals and take the meat, when the alternative is that we all buy lumps of protein wrapped in plastic off a shelf in a shop owned by Walmart, Woolworths or whoever.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:09 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southerner
I used to hunt when I was younger, but probably wouldn't now (except maybe duckshooting).

Whether you agree with it or not, the fact that a lot of blokes enjoy hunting should not be that hard to understand. It is the result of thousands of years of genetic breeding. Men who were good at hunting tended to survive and flourish, and their genes were continued.

Just because we can buy meat now from a supermarket doesn't change the way we are. There is something to be said for men having an outlet for their naturally aggressive tendencies, rather than the violence you can see at pub closing time.

That said, blowing the **** out of animals does seem a bit bloodthirsty, and perhaps indicates a lack of respect for both the danger of the firearms, and the target animal.

But on the whole, I have more respect for the morality of hunters who kill animals and take the meat, when the alternative is that we all buy lumps of protein wrapped in plastic off a shelf in a shop owned by Walmart, Woolworths or whoever.
Sadly, IMHO, gun culture, whether legalized ownership or gang culture/not registered, exists on a quite frightening basis across the Globe? It can not be governed, because criminals will import/export as they will/can. I have no doubt there's an element of this in NZ as there is, as I've said, Globally. Such is life.

If I'm honest, it's not a concept that has worried me about moving from the UK to NZ.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Sadly, IMHO, gun culture, whether legalized ownership or gang culture/not registered, exists on a quite frightening basis across the Globe? It can not be governed, because criminals will import/export as they will/can. I have no doubt there's an element of this in NZ as there is, as I've said, Globally. Such is life.

If I'm honest, it's not a concept that has worried me about moving from the UK to NZ.
This is true - it wasn't a concept that worried me either but the constant talk of blowing animals into bits and the glee which accompanied it was very upsetting.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by mazi
This is true - it wasn't a concept that worried me either but the constant talk of blowing animals into bits and the glee which accompanied it was very upsetting.
Ahh, did you not have older brothers in UK with air rifles???!!!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Ahh, did you not have older brothers in UK with air rifles???!!!
no
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by mazi
no
It wasn't pretty!!! Think rabbits, pigeons, anything that moved in the garden (except dogs & evil cats - they were spared!)
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

It wasn't pretty!!! Think rabbits, pigeons, anything that moved in the garden (except dogs & evil cats - they were spared!)
eek indeed! Can't use these new smileys, can't find the ones I want.

Didn't have a garden either.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Ok, that last bit was a lie.

Last edited by mazi; Jan 18th 2007 at 10:23 pm. Reason: forgot the indefinite article
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:35 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The men that were good at raising crops, developing agrarian economies and trading partnerships flourished, cave men died out when they picked the meat of the last sabre tooth tiger from their canines .

Nah, this is just blokes liking to blow the **** out of anything with the largest BFG they can get their hands on, the chances of being able to eat what remains are pretty slim.

Outlet for aggressive tendencies? that's what Rugby's for isn't it?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:41 pm

The men that were good at raising crops, developing agrarian economies and trading partnerships flourished, cave men died out when they picked the meat of the last sabre tooth tiger from their canines .

Nah, this is just blokes liking to blow the **** out of anything with the largest BFG they can get their hands on, the chances of being able to eat what remains are pretty slim.

Outlet for aggressive tendencies? that's what Rugby's for isn't it?
The only "true" hunters on the planet are animals. The thread title suggests an out of control gangland culture with shooting people, an ungoverned, black market in arms trading. So this isn't want you're saying. Tis boys playing at being hunter, gathere, provider and the, no doubt, ever increasing homicide within even Fab NZ occassionally?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

The only "true" hunters on the planet are animals. The thread title suggests an out of control gangland culture with shooting people, an ungoverned, black market in arms trading. So this isn't want you're saying. Tis boys playing at being hunter, gathere, provider and the, no doubt, ever increasing homicide within even Fab NZ occassionally?
Pretty much. I have never heard anyone talk of shooting animals, I guess you have to live in the right part of the country for that.
When I spent a year living in North Notts, we were out for a walk one day and happened to find ourselves in the middle of a hunt. Bloody scary it was.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:58 pm

Does it . When was gangland culture mentioned?

I was commenting on the fact that so many people own guns and that there are so many nasty weapons in this fair land.

Also that some men seem to get a great deal of pleasure out of blasting animals just for the sake of it. It could be out of some ancient primeval need to put meat on the table as Southerner suggested. I think it's because they get a kick out of it. If they need an outlet for aggression then there are contact sports.

Then there is the thriving gang land culture .
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Then there is the thriving gang land culture .
Which, according to North and South magazine, is mainly down to the Asians.
Not saying that it is true, or that it is my opinion, just what I read.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jude J
Pretty much. I have never heard anyone talk of shooting animals, I guess you have to live in the right part of the country for that.
When I spent a year living in North Notts, we were out for a walk one day and happened to find ourselves in the middle of a hunt. Bloody scary it was.
Yes I've been in that situation too and found it very upsetting.

Not sure if I agree with the what you say about being in the right part of the country, hence the reason for mentioning the gun shop on the North Shore. The people I know travel far and wide to get their "sport" and some even pay for the pleasure of taking down a few deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.