Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What was/is the most exciting thing about emigrating?

What was/is the most exciting thing about emigrating?

Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default What was/is the most exciting thing about emigrating?

For me it was the chance of a new life. A better life. Apparently we only get one go and I had hankered for years to escape what I saw as a mediocre way of life. Don't get me wrong I had a good life in the UK over all and did some great things but was at my happiest when I was out of the UK. I E working in Spain as a holiday rep, on vacation anywhere but the UK and on my 9 month OE.

I am still excited about being here and listening to and watching what I perceive as exotic birds (tuis and bellbirds aswell as the odd parakeet) in my back yard never ever ceases to fill me with wonder.

Looking at the ranges every day. Doing the school run and there is no traffic..virtually every day. The ease of my hamster wheely life. The raw beauty that surrounds me. The space, the emptiness.

Bloody hell NZ can be really irritating in many ways but it is absolutely fantastic for the everyday housewife like me IMO. I am on a positive vein..watch out for the rant/and or negative ones.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was/is the most exciting thing about emigrating?

Originally Posted by Genesis
For me it was the chance of a new life. A better life. Apparently we only get one go and I had hankered for years to escape what I saw as a mediocre way of life. Don't get me wrong I had a good life in the UK over all and did some great things but was at my happiest when I was out of the UK. I E working in Spain as a holiday rep, on vacation anywhere but the UK and on my 9 month OE.

I am still excited about being here and listening to and watching what I perceive as exotic birds (tuis and bellbirds aswell as the odd parakeet) in my back yard never ever ceases to fill me with wonder.

Looking at the ranges every day. Doing the school run and there is no traffic..virtually every day. The ease of my hamster wheely life. The raw beauty that surrounds me. The space, the emptiness.

Bloody hell NZ can be really irritating in many ways but it is absolutely fantastic for the everyday housewife like me IMO. I am on a positive vein..watch out for the rant/and or negative ones.
For me it was the excitment of landing in a place I had never visited (well Chch anyway, had spent 4 days in Akl during our honeymoon) and knowing we were starting a new life several thousand miles away from the UK.

I still love driving back out to Rolly after work and seeing the snow capped alps, you just can't get tired of that view, or a walk along the beach, albeit a little munted after the shakes, but still a great walk and every so often you get a surprise like a seal on the beach in Sumner !!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

I love hearing a Tui as well.

But it's walking the dogs in a never ending supply of beautiful places that aren't packed out with people. And the sun shines more often.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We came here for my job, and had not considered NZ as a location prior to that. But for me it some of it that was so exciting was the space, the opportunity to live in the countryside, the clarity of the air and visibility (I like to dabble in photography). See below for a piccy that I took near Nelson last summer, as an example of unexpected stunning beautiful places

Also for me it was a chance to make a difference in my job: I have a voice here, in the UK the route to getting heard was very cluttered - very full country...........

Jan
Attached Thumbnails What was/is the most exciting thing about emigrating?-east-nelson-small.jpg  
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Not officially migrated yet but...

The friendliness and willingness of people, not just who i work with but passers by etc..
The coast. I wasn't far from a shoreline back home but this sure beats Southend seafront..lol.. Less traffic on the roads, no speed cameras, no hitler traffic wardens, not having to worry about hiding everything in the boot of the car.. Being able to give and set a pretty much precise time of arrival, not that people are too fussed about timekeeping.. the feeling that when my kids go out they will be looked out for.. My kids being able to talk to anyone.. A big trust of fellow man.. man, that is so good to know people will help and go out of their way not just to gain something in return.. Makes me want to help me too..Knowing that when i ask my friendly bank clerk (Judy, who ive meet twice) to transfer money in a few days time she will do so and let me know alls good without me rechecking with a long expensive phone call to India or wherever.. The Big sky, lots of sun, lots of stars that i never saw back home because of the light pollution.. Un-polluted air.. I can actually smell trees and plants whilst driving along.. The scenery changing every ten minutes.. Leaving the front door, car doors, garage doors open.(Though i know this will not last forever and you can't everywhere here).. Being able to able to have a friendly conversation with the local plod Craig, in the pub or golf club.. Being able to pick from a few different snow fields in a couple of hours drive.. Being able to rock up to any river, lake or stream and eat what i catch when i want to.. Being the only one in the cinema and being invited to take a look at the projectors etc.. To go hunting if thats what ya into,im looking forward to going out soon to cul some rabbits, possums, and even wallaby's if need be..never thought id say that!..

Is that enough?.. or shall i go on.. Now i know there are some-alot of downfalls, but hey, theres alot to be thankful for..

Gary.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:04 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
We came here for my job, and had not considered NZ as a location prior to that. But for me it some of it that was so exciting was the space, the opportunity to live in the countryside, the clarity of the air and visibility (I like to dabble in photography). See below for a piccy that I took near Nelson last summer, as an example of unexpected stunning beautiful places

Also for me it was a chance to make a difference in my job: I have a voice here, in the UK the route to getting heard was very cluttered - very full country...........

Jan
What a fantastic pic!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

New wildlife! Friendlier folk! Less -0 winters! Hopefully walk in wardrobes! Yes that is shallow, we live in a v old cottage with no storage I guess it's just the thrill of a new adventure.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:57 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

not seeing the in-laws!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
New wildlife! Friendlier folk! Less -0 winters! Hopefully walk in wardrobes! Yes that is shallow, we live in a v old cottage with no storage I guess it's just the thrill of a new adventure.
Yes space here is amazing. Not only all around but in your home. We had a large terraced victorian pile in the Uk (in one of the worst areas imaginable, 2nd worst post code in the 'Shire..the only reason we could afford it..no one else would touch it!!) but the space around our home NZ is incredible.

Our old house in the UK was over 5 floors (long, tall and narrow) but this one is of similar size and is on two floors and is short, very wide and wonderful. Homes over here are about twice the average of your UK home I reckon. Walk in wardrobes are the norm, as are en suites and virtually everything is detached. Built in cupboards are everywhere..even in old, old homes!!

Only the rich have detached houses in the UK but are the norm in NZ. Pools too, loads of people have pools in NZ..I only ever knew one person in the UK who had a pool in 45 years!

Whilst the construction of NZ homes is very, very different from the average UK home many appear to be well made. Mine is 20 years old and looks brand new. The trick is to look after them, they do need more attention than a UK victorian or similar property. So there are good, well built homes to be had. Mind you there are lots of 'shedesque' ones too.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by P18PPS
not seeing the in-laws!
Really ? Mine live in Auckland. We're closer now than we've ever been, i.e. in the same country ! MIL was banging on about Christmas already. I think I've made a tactical error !
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

not seeing the in-laws!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

There is no class system here, you can be what ever you want to be - just work hard and go for it. For the children, they will have access to the Australian job market and higher education system. Oldest is a science and maths whizz and has set his sights very firmly on one of the universities over there.

My husband walked away from a very successful career after 26 years and has started completely from scratch in his dream job. He's just starting to get somewhere with his first big promotion coming up, so now he's sponsoring me back to college.

It's been tough to go back to entry level salaries - and paying the bills without using savings or getting into debt is a challenge, but because the fun stuff here is free - it creates a balance and it's easier on the children than it would otherwise be. We walk on the beach after dinner and it doesn't matter if the arse is falling out of the back of your jeans, you're still doing something that it would take all year to save for back in UK.

The summer is fantastic, we purchased an old camper from someone who rescued it from the crushing machine, we put in a cooker/fridge and re-upolstered it, and in the summer we just take off. We've got some second hand kayaks on the back and woohoo!! We pick the kids up from school in it, and just drive 10 minutes in any direction and we're next to either river, lake or ocean. We throw the kids onto the water whilst I whip up beans on toast for tea, and that's our typical Wednesday/thursday or any day evening meal.

I love looking at the stars here as well, I don't know why I never noticed them before - but they seem so much brighter. When i'm in the mood, I have been known to go and lie on the trampoline at night listening to the sea, looking at the stars and drinking a glass of wine out of my sports bottle so I don't spill it on myself
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:05 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's probably not THE most exciting thing, but having moved from London to South Auckland, it's nice being able to park right outside the shops you want to go to.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
The adventure. Today I'm also having a good day (not as flipping cold today for a start), although school pickup is approaching as fast as the grey clouds - sigh.

For us it was getting the kids out to see the big wide world, something we never had the opportunity to do as kids. They needed to see that the world is your oyster if you strive for it
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

not seeing the in-laws!
Karma for that. I'm 13000 miles away from the MIL and it's still not far enough... She's just joined Facebook. Oh. Deep. Joy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.