Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What Items Are Expensive!!

What Items Are Expensive!!

Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Sipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant future
Default What Items Are Expensive!!

Hi,

I have heard that some items are very expensive in NZ. Could someone please give a brief outline so I know what to buy etc before we head off.

Ken
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Items Are Expensive!!

Originally Posted by Sipsoo Dragon
Hi,

I have heard that some items are very expensive in NZ. Could someone please give a brief outline so I know what to buy etc before we head off.

Ken

Paint and wall paper.

Gill
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:14 pm
turkeytickler

Hi,

Ken
- food
- drink
- power/utilities
- books/mags (OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive - its a wonder this country isnt illiterate)
- branded goods (you can get nomark cheap chinese imports of electrical goods/clothing for next to nothing from places like the warehouse/dse/kmart - but if you want a Sony TV (or the likes) get saving or bring your existing one over)
- cds/dvds/compuer games
- mobile phones/contracts
- cycling equipment

err.. ok while the above is true i appreciate thats not very helpful.... we got here in august, and if we had our time again this is what we would have brought over more of.....

- UK/NZ power converters for any devices- the shops know the brits NEED them and charge accordingling - bring as many 4ways as you can with you too
- books
- decent clothes - depending on your style have a MASSIVE spree at Gap/Next/Debenhams/Emporio Armani (!) - it will be your last chance
- if you are coming over with kids, get all their requirements in the uk and bring them over.... we came over while my wife was 6 months pregnant and wished we had got the stuff to kit out the nursery in the uk....

I and others here will often be accused of being negative about NZ - the above is based on recent personal experience that you could potentially benefit from so I hope you take it as such and this is of some help for you.

Best of luck

Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:48 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

peppers, bread (unless you like cheap brands), milk, yogurt and cheese (again if you like cheap brands you are sorted).... and perfume... christ is that expensive
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:10 pm
livewire

I'd agree with all of the above.

I find computer software and books well over priced and would rather have them sent out from the UK than be ripped off for them over here.

Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:29 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Carpet is very expensive too, it is usually good quality 100% wool but there aren't many cheaper alternatives.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:59 pm
Banned

Power will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sky
Carpet is very expensive too, it is usually good quality 100% wool but there aren't many cheaper alternatives.
That's very true about the carpets, we have a 3 bed house which is of normal size and were quoted over $3000 to carpet it. That is a lot of money to us! we know we could have gotten the same quality carpets for much less at home.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:07 pm
Banned

Having a mortgage is expensive due to the interest rate.
Shoes!!! very expensive unless you like to walk around in rubbish stuff.
Food! I think food is very expensive in NZ versus the cost of living, meat looks cheap when thinking in UK pounds, but after a while of the kiwi wages you realise it isn't cheap at all in fact, it's pretty expensive.
Make-up, that's just ridiculous!! does anyone wear makeup in NZ?!!! :scared:
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Power
Having a mortgage is expensive due to the interest rate.
Shoes!!! very expensive unless you like to walk around in rubbish stuff.
Food! I think food is very expensive in NZ versus the cost of living, meat looks cheap when thinking in UK pounds, but after a while of the kiwi wages you realise it isn't cheap at all in fact, it's pretty expensive.
Make-up, that's just ridiculous!! does anyone wear makeup in NZ?!!! :scared:

I have a small amount of Estee, which I am keeping for Christmas, and Perfume...too,just a little left....

My mum has sent me some for Christmas.....thank god for mums ehh and some brand new clothing from Next with the labels still on and everything.....so happy...
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Thank goodness I've kitted myself out with a new wardrobe of clothes............next stop Boots for the perfume!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Winnie
Thank goodness I've kitted myself out with a new wardrobe of clothes............next stop Boots for the perfume!
You are doing the right thing gal, go get your girlie stuff before take off! you won't regret it. And if you have a container load coming, then fill it with BOGOFS and you will not be dissapointed! shampoo and conditioner is very expensive so get as much as you can and stuff it in your drawers along with face wipes, moisturiser, blah blah. that's always on special at Tesco and Asda so stock up now and enjoy when they arrive.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
- food
- drink
- power/utilities
- books/mags (OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive - its a wonder this country isnt illiterate)
- branded goods (you can get nomark cheap chinese imports of electrical goods/clothing for next to nothing from places like the warehouse/dse/kmart - but if you want a Sony TV (or the likes) get saving or bring your existing one over)
- cds/dvds/compuer games
- mobile phones/contracts
- cycling equipment

err.. ok while the above is true i appreciate thats not very helpful.... we got here in august, and if we had our time again this is what we would have brought over more of.....

- UK/NZ power converters for any devices- the shops know the brits NEED them and charge accordingling - bring as many 4ways as you can with you too
- books
- decent clothes - depending on your style have a MASSIVE spree at Gap/Next/Debenhams/Emporio Armani (!) - it will be your last chance
- if you are coming over with kids, get all their requirements in the uk and bring them over.... we came over while my wife was 6 months pregnant and wished we had got the stuff to kit out the nursery in the uk....

I and others here will often be accused of being negative about NZ - the above is based on recent personal experience that you could potentially benefit from so I hope you take it as such and this is of some help for you.

Best of luck

i would say shop around and look for the sales i got a 32 inch sony wega tv for 500 dollars off cost 338 pounds from lv martin in lower hutt. The same one is around 700 pounds in the UK.

Shoes are expensive, and some foods, however i do think the quality of food is better than home, and its better to cook from scratch if you have time as ready meals are very expensive, for example a frozen curry is more expensive than getting it from an indian restaurant.

living in the cities help as theyre is more choice, but cant imagine how difficult it might be in smaller towns to find bargains.

Also read the circulars the shops put through the letter box, youll get around 5 per a day, these often have the sales listed, thats how i got my TV.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:22 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Sugo
i would say shop around and look for the sales i got a 32 inch sony wega tv for 500 dollars off cost 338 pounds from lv martin in lower hutt. The same one is around 700 pounds in the UK.

Shoes are expensive, and some foods, however i do think the quality of food is better than home, and its better to cook from scratch if you have time as ready meals are very expensive, for example a frozen curry is more expensive than getting it from an indian restaurant.

living in the cities help as theyre is more choice, but cant imagine how difficult it might be in smaller towns to find bargains.

Also read the circulars the shops put through the letter box, youll get around 5 per a day, these often have the sales listed, thats how i got my TV.
Re Sales.... that is certainly one thing NZ has going for it... in the UK sales tend to be the time when shops put all their unsold 5 year old crap on display... in NZ there really are some bargains to be had..... it does pay to shop around I agree.....

Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
Re Sales.... that is certainly one thing NZ has going for it... in the UK sales tend to be the time when shops put all their unsold 5 year old crap on display... in NZ there really are some bargains to be had..... it does pay to shop around I agree.....

yeah dont pay full price for anything, get your fly buys card before buying anything and bargain, so if you by more than one big item from a store try and get em to chuck in some freebies or get em to knock the price down, and be careful of delivery charges, my TV cost 20 dollars to be delivered and you need two people to pick it up as its too heavy, the stand from bond and bond they tried to charge 50 dollars to ship, so i got a mate to give me a hand and we wen t to pick it up.

Dont bother with second hand shops theyre too expensive but look at trademe as i missed a as new inhabit futon that sold for 350 dollars, they sell em for 1030NZD new , gotta love a bargain
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:01 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Ken
Vinyl (lino to you)

I was under the mistaken belief that the horrible 80's chocolate brown lino would be easy to replace but turns out they want 2,500 for a 4 x 5 metre kitchen! no way!!!!!!!!!! I've had 3 quotes.

It's turning out that laminate flooring from Carpet One is best bet at $1200.
Or we could tile ourselves at $900 for the tiles.
We did the rest of the house for 2,800 and that was hall, 3 beds and lounge so wonder why lino/vinyl is so expensive - and it's not even nice is it?

Most things cost more or the same-ish as the UK I feel.

Books and mags are awful - use the library.

Whitegoods are too.

Just bring anything that is serviceable that you already have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.