Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

what if I want to go home?

what if I want to go home?

Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:24 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice
Default what if I want to go home?

Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of moving to NZ as my job has finally come up on the short-term skill list..woohoo!! The thing I was wondering about is, what happens if I have moved over there and received my PR but then want to come home after a couple of years to work in the UK for a few years, am I able to work in the UK and still retain my PR for when I want to go back to NZ? Could it be that easy?

Jules
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:36 pm
livewire

Default Re: what if I want to go home?

Check out the returning residents visa (RRV) requirements on the NZIS website. Haven't looked at this for a while but I think you get a 2 year RRV when granted PR, after 2 years you can get a indefinate visa but have to meet certain requirements. Best to check for yourself and make sure.

Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:17 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice
Smile Re: what if I want to go home?

Originally Posted by livewire
Check out the returning residents visa (RRV) requirements on the NZIS website. Haven't looked at this for a while but I think you get a 2 year RRV when granted PR, after 2 years you can get a indefinate visa but have to meet certain requirements. Best to check for yourself and make sure.

Thanks I have no idea about these things..just needing to ask questions so I can decide what to do
Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire
The indefinite RRV may not exist for much longer.

The only safe way to keep open the option of returning is to become a New Zealand citizen before you leave.

Jeremy
Old Aug 10th 2005, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
The indefinite RRV may not exist for much longer.
Really? What's the score?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:02 am
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

but if I became an NZ citizen wouldnt that give me problems if I wanted to come back to the UK for a few years and work?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:21 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carkedit
but if I became an NZ citizen wouldnt that give me problems if I wanted to come back to the UK for a few years and work?
No, not if you're a dual citizen which I'm assuming you would be.

But you would be a returning British citizen which affects access to state benefits for example, HOWEVER there would be no difference in the returning resident status whether you were just a resident or citizen of another country.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:39 am
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

oh ok..that was one of my biggest 'worries' in a sense. I love NZ, have great friends I am moving in with if I get in etc etc..but my brother and his wife are hoping to have kids in the next year or two and as much as I want to emigrate to NZ I would still want to come back here and see the kid grow up a bit! Unless of course they bugger off back to the states and then I guess it wont really matter ;-)
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:38 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Are there any downsides to having dual citizenship?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I've been one for twenty five years and the only ones I've found are:
- have to pay for two passport renewals
- can't serve as a submariner in UK forces (as if I'd want to, I like the sunshine)

There are loads of pluses, from the trivial such as shorter immigration queues and supporting the winning side in test matches, to being able to come and go for the rest of your life, and the fact that your children will have dual citizenship by descent.

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Are there any downsides to having dual citizenship?