Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What heating system?

What heating system?

Old Jun 5th 2015, 5:39 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What heating system?

Originally Posted by AceofSpades
Jeeeeeze you Kiwis are still using wood fires over there, how positively prehistoric and not exactly carbon friendly!! .

Over here in Australia I have solar panels and ducted air conditioning. I keep it on all day and the whole house is toasty warm at night, despite it being 5 degrees outside. And being free from the smell of wood smoke is a bonus, with no ashes to clear away in the morning. No hand wringing over buying dry or wet wood, or what burns best. The whole system (solar and air) for a 4 bed, 330sqm home cost me well under 20 grand. Money well spent, and worth its weight in gold during the long summer. In a couple of years from now I'll probably add a Tesla Powerwall to it.

Come on over, the 21st century is wonderful you don't know what you're missing, lol. It's not just shrimps on the barbie you know.
Seeing as you have no use for it a couple of boat loads of Blue Gum would be appreciated...
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone that prefers some electrical appliance over a log burner probably has no soul. The same people prefer listening to MP3's over Vinyl, they like the awful looking new BMW mini over a classic Mini Cooper and such a person probably likes visiting Starbucks for some posh overpriced coffee over a pot of tea from a greasy spoon.

Give me the smell of smoke, the chopping of wood and the ash mess anyway of the week.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Eelctrical appliance sounds good to me but couldn't stick being surrounded by ozzies and having to watch a crap rugby team ...
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:51 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Strange thought just passed by me.....I have the log burner roaring away inside the house and I am burning gas on the BBQ outside the kitchen to cook the steak.......

Real fire is the modern mans way to heat his cave.......watching the flames is so relaxing.....
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Strange thought just passed by me.....I have the log burner roaring away inside the house and I am burning gas on the BBQ outside the kitchen to cook the steak.......
Real fire is the modern mans way to heat his cave.......watching the flames is so relaxing.....
Why?

and

steak in winter ?
Old Jun 5th 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
Why?

and

steak in winter ?
Should be some way to cook my steaks on the wood to get the smoke flavour.
What's wrong with steak in the winter I am cooking steak with portobello mushrooms on the BBQ with salad and oven fries.....
After all of the hoo haa that went on about meat on the bone I am relishing in Tee Bone steak..........
Old Jun 5th 2015, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Should be some way to cook my steaks on the wood to get the smoke flavour.
Wood burning oven, like what i built this summer. When the wood has all collapsed down to coals, set up a grill inside and shovel the coals underneath it. Slap couple of big T-bones on and done in no time
Old Jun 5th 2015, 7:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeeeeeze you Kiwis are still using wood fires over there, how positively prehistoric and not exactly carbon friendly!! .
Many many people in Aus use wood burners, me for one. We also have solar power and water. Many people prefer wood burners, there's nothing prehistoric about them.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 8:00 am
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing as you have no use for it a couple of boat loads of Blue Gum would be appreciated...
Sorry we need them for the forest fires, otherwise I'd ship some over for you But seriously we're trying as a family to reduce our carbon footprint, reduce reuse recycle etc and solar still gets a subsidy here (just) so......in for a penny. And Tesla when the time comes.

My man cave has a beer fridge, lounges, Sonos, a 10 feet wide projector screen and access to the FA Cup on BBC iPlayer. It has the ALL the necessities of life .

Last edited by AceofSpades; Jun 5th 2015 at 8:03 am.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Burning wood is carbon neutral, manufacturing solar panels and batteries half the world away certainly isn't.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

My man cave has a beer fridge, lounges, Sonos, a 10 feet wide projector screen and access to the FA Cup on BBC iPlayer. It has the ALL the necessities of life .
I read this to my wife, her reply was
"Don't you worry dear, your penis is big enough"
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I read this to my wife, her reply was
"Don't you worry dear, your penis is big enough"
Old Jun 9th 2015, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Can anyone in Auckland recommend somewhere to buy wood? And what kind of wood - is there much difference?

TIA
Old Jun 9th 2015, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Can anyone in Auckland recommend somewhere to buy wood? And what kind of wood - is there much difference?

TIA
Is there much difference? Hah ha ha, now there's a question.

I am sure some firewoodologist will come along shortly to share all their firewoodly secrets and knowledge. It's a subject that comes up on a regular basis and over the years I have heard much opinion and debate on which is best, in the meantime there's this article I saw recently:

Which firewood is best? | Stuff.co.nz
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by desmondo84

TIA
Just start off with a kiln dried mix of soft and hard until you get the hang of what suits you best.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.