Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wished you'd taken to NZ?

What do you wished you'd taken to NZ?

Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What do you wished you'd taken to NZ?

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ
Can't seem to find E45 cream here. Pharmacist gave us 'similar' product - it doesn't even contain the same ingredients! Also what I have found really useful is the british electrical extension cable (you know the ones, they have room for about 4 or 5 electrical appliances). You just change the plug on that to the NZ type and you can use it for some of the british electrical equipment you brought with you. I've found it really handy for my phone charger, battery charger, playstation, kids old telly, computer stuff. It takes so long to get around to changing all the plugs to the NZ type.
hi carol

we were the same with the E45,can't get it anywhere,don't like the stuff they gave us,really greasy...
you will just have to stock up on the stuff when you go back after christmas....jacky
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Dare I also suggest I miss M&S???
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Dare I also suggest I miss M&S???
just ordered christmas and birthday presents online and had them delivered,its so handy m&s ...jacky
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:18 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I have definitely seen E45 in one of my local pharmacies. And yep, E45, not its equivalent. I will check but i suspect i saw it in the Unichem pharmacy as they have boots products (not that E45 is boots...just that they stock british stuff...). stay tuned
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Ok I have definitely seen E45 in one of my local pharmacies. And yep, E45, not its equivalent. I will check but i suspect i saw it in the Unichem pharmacy as they have boots products (not that E45 is boots...just that they stock british stuff...). stay tuned
great,keep me posted
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure I've seen some Boots stuff in the chemist at the Westfield centre in Takapuna.

I would advise folks to bring everything with them as furniture and clothes are expensive out here. Decent shoes and handbags are particularly expensive and I'd advise that you stock up on lots before coming out. I'd also advise getting some good slacks and trousers as any decent ones also cost an arm and a leg.

As I've said before, furniture tends to be rather old-fashioned, especially if you like the IKEA, light coloured, birch wood type, so I'd bring that kind out here as well. Also, the range of kitchen electrical goods (like coffee machines) is limited.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:17 am
Just Joined

happy in nz is just really nicehappy in nz is just really nicehappy in nz is just really nicehappy in nz is just really nicehappy in nz is just really nicehappy in nz is just really nicehappy in nz is just really nicehappy in nz is just really nice

why dont you all get over the fact that this not the uk .
its new zealand its diferent thats why we all came here, you can buy any foodstuff from the uk here as well as CLARKES shoes if you LOOK AROUND REMBER THIS IS NZ NOT UK
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ
Can't seem to find E45 cream here. Pharmacist gave us 'similar' product - it doesn't even contain the same ingredients! Also what I have found really useful is the british electrical extension cable (you know the ones, they have room for about 4 or 5 electrical appliances). You just change the plug on that to the NZ type and you can use it for some of the british electrical equipment you brought with you. I've found it really handy for my phone charger, battery charger, playstation, kids old telly, computer stuff. It takes so long to get around to changing all the plugs to the NZ type.
Now that is a good idea..
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy in nz
why dont you all get over the fact that this not the uk .
its new zealand its diferent thats why we all came here, you can buy any foodstuff from the uk here as well as CLARKES shoes if you LOOK AROUND REMBER THIS IS NZ NOT UK
hey, no need to shout - remember the *fact* is that some people want one thing and some people another from their lives as ex-Pats................we're not all mindless robots you know...................the OP wanted advice, well here it is:
some things are more expensive here, like books, some consumer electronics (simply because there is not the internet-sales bargains that you get in Europe) and many other products do not have the selection and/or quality, eg children's clothes, "smalls", etc
I got my folks to bring over some rigger boots (Jallettes, French and totally unavailable in NZ), lots of rechargable batteries (try getting 7dayshop specials in NZ - you'll pay over 5 times that price here!), inkjet cartridges to print out all those family photos (2-3 times the price instore here), skin cream (epaderm from Boots, according to the GP/pharmacist unavailable here) and some toys that cant be gotten (Playmobil - there is a limited range here but not the online specials like the extensions for the castles, etc).
What I should have brought in the container (and not got the folks to smuggle in!) was more furniture, garden tools (that I left in the UK) and christmas lights (I figured that as it would be summer the kids would get little benefit, but I want more lights for me -- - need to feel Christmassy myself!).
The other day I saw a "WHS" brand umbrella in Whitcouls (must be WH Smith!) and I've seen plenty of stuff that is common between Dick Smith and Maplin.....must have very similar suppliers.
Good luck and if in doubt bring it - you can always find someone to buy it/trade it!

Last edited by lardyl; Dec 14th 2007 at 11:21 am.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:19 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wessa
Now that is a good idea..
indeed, especially as NZ plugs/sockets are rubbish and the multiboards here are worse than rubbish!
Give me an MK any day................
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
indeed, especially as NZ plugs/sockets are rubbish and the multiboards here are worse than rubbish!
Give me an MK any day................
200% agree

UK to NZ adaptors here are worse than rubbish.

L
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

So, i get it, just bring every thing we have. I will stock up on a few more things too. I may even buy a new washing machine aswell. Is it worth bringing my sky box,dish etc or is it easy to get installed out there? I know to stock up on boots and a few more clothes. i'd better tell the other half to go shopping, which im sure she can do quite easily!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:46 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by crap coffee
200% agree

UK to NZ adaptors here are worse than rubbish.

L
In fact many are dangerous as they are not earthed and rated at 5 amps, so should be OK for the plug-in transformers but a no-no for kettles, toasters, etc........and that is ignoring the fact that most will not stay in the socket!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:51 am
you dewty owld maan!

So, i get it, just bring every thing we have. I will stock up on a few more things too. I may even buy a new washing machine aswell. Is it worth bringing my sky box,dish etc or is it easy to get installed out there? I know to stock up on boots and a few more clothes. i'd better tell the other half to go shopping, which im sure she can do quite easily!
sky decoder will not work and the dishes are on many many homes here so you are likely not to need one.
we bought a washing machine a few months before leaving and as the tenants expected a machine we got a cheapo one from Comet (actually it was a decent Hoover one at a bargainacious price, kept the Bosch Excell one for NZ and it really knocks spots off the top loaders and most front loaders I have seen here in the white goods stores). A decent vaccuum cleaner might be an idea although the one we bought here is not bad. What you must do is never, ever pay the non-Sale ticket price here. Haggle and trade off one store agianst the next and buy during heavy discounting sales - then you should save money that you will ill-afford to lose here.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:53 am
you dewty owld maan!

you can buy boots BTW just not riggers/gumboots with steel midsoles and I must have these, otherwise I am very likely to have a nail pass through my instep - and that is not nice.....
NZ Safety does the safety stuff and there are boots to be had. Just don't expect an Arco range or price.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.