Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you do to...

What do you do to...

Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do to...

Originally Posted by Persephone
Relax.

You know, really relax and forget about all your stresses and worries?

I'm finding it hard and without resorting to taking drugs from work or drinking myself instead a stupor every night I'm not sure what to do. And no, that's not a serious suggestion!

I'm really not into massages so that's out. Maybe I just have to give it time and it'll sort itself out when I'm not trying to organise so much at once
Trying to sort out a wedding, honeymoon and a move in 2 months is not fun

So what do you do? Any ideas welcome!
Wine, beer, the TV and the best one is the spa. I never ever feel so relaxed after 30 mins in the spa, with or without bubbles on. If I lived by the sea I would 'wave watch'. Never ever got the hang of meditation. Day time snoozes although very rare and highly illicit (in the sun) are great too.

Alas I am on a diet at present..need to shed 10kgs, very, very boring. Does not help with stress levels.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:35 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Have you thought of treating yourself to a day at Hanmer?
its 2 hours each way, which is enough time to clear your head, then have a few hours in the pools before heading back to reality.
that Junction on the Main North road just north of Amberley is where I go from real life to relaxation and back again, sometimes I can make the Kiaipoi motorway before I am brought back to the mundane
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Play some cricket?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Stand on your head or do some other relaxing yoga poses, it's incredibly difficult to worry about the pressures of the day, wedding and list of things to do whilst trying to defy gravity and keep yourself upright and decent.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Stand on your head or do some other relaxing yoga poses, it's incredibly difficult to worry about the pressures of the day, wedding and list of things to do whilst trying to defy gravity and keep yourself upright and decent.

Man. I'd stop breathing these days if I stood on my head. The stomach overlapping my face would be enough.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Ride all day on my motorbike, You get so focused on riding everything else just disappears.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

Ski Photography. Nothing beats stress for me more than to get into the mountains with my camera.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:03 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I swim. I'm not a good or strong swimmer but lots of laps just helps clear my head.
Me too. About 5-6km a week just now. and dive. Water is my happy place
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Borrow one of our pooches for the day?

J
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Listen to a bit of Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Especially if the stress is linked to not shooting in the right direction

Sorry had to be said

Usually, I get out onto the golf course or lie on the couch in the conservatory and listen to some music whilst reading a book with a decent glass of whisky or a fine merlot. Sometimes I even get in the car and do the Dyers Pass route as one of my favourite spots is at Sign of the Kiwi. Unfortunately due to the driving standards on that route, it can fail in it's task to relax
Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:46 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

the better half, (who has a super stressful job), does yoga.
I do the 4 o'clock "see ya"
Old Sep 27th 2012, 8:45 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Play some cricket?
Might give that a miss

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Stand on your head or do some other relaxing yoga poses
Relaxing??I couldn't do a headstand when I was a young kid. I'm definitely not going to be able to do one now!

Some great suggestions, thanks everyone. Interesting to see what people do, normally I'm pretty easy going hence not being used to feeling like this. Feeling more normal today but just wish I could get rid of that niggly 'you've got soooo much to do and organise and so little time feeling', that's why I never feel totally relaxed atm. Even when I think it's all under control the subconscious part of my brain keeps whirring away looking for stuff I've forgotten about
And I'm off the booze as I'm loaded up on ibuprofen whilst my tooth socket heals
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Play some cricket?
I saw you were a gooner and thought

But now you've regained the path to righteousness
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Alas I am on a diet at present..need to shed 10kgs, very, very boring. Does not help with stress levels.
I might suggest you're on the wrong diet.

My new eating (and exercise) regime has seen my stress and unhappiness levels dip to an all time low.

I was talking to a client just yesterday afternoon about how my general sense of well being is tops.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

A good long walk on the beach, from Forest Park to New Brighton Pier and back. Pop into the library when you get to the pier, go upstairs and sit in the big armchairs, facing out to sea and do nothing

http://christchurchcitylibraries.com...ur/inside7.asp

Last edited by chippy64; Sep 27th 2012 at 9:13 am. Reason: added link for photo of area in library

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.