what do you do?

Old Mar 11th 2012, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink what do you do?

When you are in limbo and having just landed, with 2 kids, all your belongings are on a ship, and you need to stay somewhere while you look at buying, where do most peeps stay?

We are trying to decide if its better to rent a camper and find a rental, in 3 weeks, (in Wanganui / Manawatu area ) then try to buy somewhere, or get a rental, then car.....

We need a fully furnished place, and space for a dog....

I am just looking for some advice and tips from the insiders!

Cheers

Anna
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:00 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what do you do?

Originally Posted by crumpy10
When you are in limbo and having just landed, with 2 kids, all your belongings are on a ship, and you need to stay somewhere while you look at buying, where do most peeps stay?

We are trying to decide if its better to rent a camper and find a rental, in 3 weeks, (in Wanganui / Manawatu area ) then try to buy somewhere, or get a rental, then car.....

Cheers

Anna
We hired a camper for 4 weeks then husband got a job in Wanganui and the company put us up in a hotel for 4 weeks so we decided to buy a house quick instead of rent

anyway im in Wangas if you want a coffee and a chat

Last edited by love30stm; Mar 11th 2012 at 11:02 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:32 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we're in rental, non furnished and not allowed any animals and have been unable to find rentals that would allow us to get one in the area we are atm.

Husband was already over here so had looked before we came. We did stay in a hotel straight after we landed for a few nights courtesy of the MIL.

We were also lucky to have someone here husband knew who has leant us kitchen table and wooden chairs, cutlery, plates, kettle, and the basics.

Since being here we have bought camping chairs, and a table top ironing board just to get by, mattresses which are on the floor, sheets, quilts and covers, thick fleecy blankets, pillows, new TV, we bought the Wii through in hand luggage (thank god). We've also bought clothes dryers to hang out washing, kettle, toaster, wall clocks and mirrors.
Rented a washing machine and if I had known how overdue the container was going to be would of rented a sofa.
Unfortunately we arrived 10th January and our stuff is only just being delivered to us tomorrow and the last 2 weeks has seen me extremely low with the lack of stuff we have.
I knew it was going to be difficult but I did not realise just how draining emotionally I have found not having a sofa of all things.

We have looked around at buying and keep changing our minds one minute it seems like a good idea but then we look at the difference in a mortgage compared to rental costs and decide we quite like the fact we get to save money at the end of every fortnight. The rental isn't an idea "home" but its close to the school, good connection for husbands work and we can't have animals but it does mean that we can save if something comes up that we can't say no to, the rental is small but the kids have their own rooms, their is a small garden and garage. It just lacks a little bit on TLC which the owner isn't going to be putting in any time soon.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Anna
Hi, we stayed in a motel for a week. The Sandcastle Motel close to the Manawatu on the Kapati coast..the only beach side motel there is apparently!! A tad dated but AWESOME location. We could not find a rental big enough so we bought very quickly. I think you should do what you want a need to do. We wanted to buy and (whilst renting would have been an option) we did not want to move again!!! The camper van is a cool idea. I have a mate who owns and rents one out of Palmerston North if you would like his details I also know the manager of a very, very large rental agency who covers a huge area if you are interested. PM me if you like and I will get their details to you. By the way have only been to Wangy once but was very impressed. Lovely place. It has shitty areas but so does Palmerston North, Auckland and everywhere else. You get a lot of bang for your buck too house wise.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:45 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I also know the manager of a very, very large rental agency who covers a huge area if you are interested. PM me if you like and I will get their details to you. .
Do they cover Plimmerton going towards Paraparaumu as would be interested to see if they had any that would allow us to get a dog?
If so could you please PM me the details
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Do they cover Plimmerton going towards Paraparaumu as would be interested to see if they had any that would allow us to get a dog?
If so could you please PM me the details
Done.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Genesis
Done.
Thanks for that, already had them but now I know the Managers name
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Anna
I would delay the landing as long as possible, spend some time with family in the UK and have a holiday on the way so that your arrival coincides closer to the arrival of your wordly goods. Stay in motel for week or two when you arrive, find a more permanent rental and shipping will be nearly here already. Don't even think about buying in those early weeks.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:44 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

The Cooks Gardens Motel in Wanganui is good and is where we stayed for 2 nights in June of last year while we had a reccy to Wanganui as we were coming from Christchurch where we had been for the last three and half months. Nuff said.

If you get a camper van there is the Top 10 holiday park in Wanganui which over looks the banks of the Wanganui River.

I'm in Wanganui too so feel free to PM me.

Rent first if you can. Then you can try and get your head straight so to speak so are better able to make a decision. We rented a 2 bed bungalow in Springvale, Wanganui for $230 per week. We purchased our house 2 monts later and were glad of not feeling pressured into buying just by time and circumstance. The bungalow did us but we have no kids. Look up TradeMe for properties to rent and buy it will give you an idea of what to expect. Landlords Link was our letting agent in Wanganui. Other letting agents are available. Try and rent somewhere with a heatpump. It's a glorified wall heater but it does the job. Heatpump technology blows my mind, however, the end result is warm air ! Otherwise you will likely be sitting round a 2 bar fire. Just incase you haven't been told fifty times already, NZ houses do not have double glazing or central heating. Could you put some hot water bottles in your hand luggage ?

There is a D.I.Y. superstore called Mitre 10 they sell (among many other things) heaters of all sorts. Warehouse is like the stock room of Argos but with prices on the shelves. Briscoes is a hardware store similar to Robert Dyas, but they also sell bedsheets and towels.

We viewed some real 'tombs' of houses to rent, i.e. big old houses that were not much more than adequate. Expensive places to rent (and I suppose buy) are Bastia Hill, Durie Hill and St Johns Hill. College Estate and Springvale are good quality areas where the rent is reasonable. Gonville, Castlecliff and Aramoho are, um, unpopular.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 12th 2012 at 7:58 am. Reason: thought of something
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:02 am

Pm me or meet up and will fill you in with stuff in Wangas
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:04 am

We were in rented in England for a few years and didnt feel like renting here then buying and moving again btw And usually the rentals are yuk
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

We stayed in Top Ten camping park in Takapuna. Sixty dollars a night with two rooms, toilet, TV, fridge, microwave plus pleasant surroundings and near Takapuna and shops. Reckon it was a good deal - much, much cheaper than hotels or holiday rentals. Found rentals easily within the week.

However, have never bought here as think prices are much, too much.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: what do you do?

Originally Posted by love30stm
We hired a camper for 4 weeks then husband got a job in Wanganui and the company put us up in a hotel for 4 weeks so we decided to buy a house quick instead of rent

anyway im in Wangas if you want a coffee and a chat
Thank you! I may take you up on that offer of a coffee.

Anna
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: what do you do?

Cheers everyone!

We like the idea of renting first for a few months, then buying without rushing. But is getting it all to coincide with buying the house, then moving in without stuff! and what to do about it?

Honestly, I feel like a small helpless child at the moment! Normally I am in complete control! ha not anymore

I suppose it does all just work in the end, I just want it to run ok, and noone to get upset and tense.....

Thanks again though, will keep you posted.

Anna
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:42 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Our shippers (PSS) are giving 25kg free airfreight so we are putting in bedding inc electric blanket, enough plastic plates etc to survive with inc camping pots and bits to survive 3 months. We are going to buy another bed in Chch..
We fly Friday and still await visa's......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.