Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do I do with a rampant grapevine ?

Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default What do I do with a rampant grapevine ?

I didn't plant the grape vine. It was here when we bought the house. Looking at it, I'd say it's been around a while. Now it wants to take over. AArrgg!
I can see that there are the beginnings of grapes on the vine here and there but mostly it's just rampant growth , threatening to take over next doors fence, the greenhouse and anything else that gets in its way.

What should I be doing with this plant please, before it gets totally out of control
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I do with a rampant grapevine ?

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I didn't plant the grape vine. It was here when we bought the house. Looking at it, I'd say it's been around a while. Now it wants to take over. AArrgg!
I can see that there are the beginnings of grapes on the vine here and there but mostly it's just rampant growth , threatening to take over next doors fence, the greenhouse and anything else that gets in its way.

What should I be doing with this plant please, before it gets totally out of control
Can't help with advice but I love the title - so descriptive of BE, a "Rampant grapevine"

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 22nd 2007 at 12:29 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:54 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

ear-lie in the morning
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:18 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Prune back any aggessive shoots, but make sure you leave plenty of greenery if you can.

In the winter, the vine will go domant and that's the time to prune it right back ( to a stump if you desire ).

Also you should now see flower sets that will eventually turn into grape bunches. You want to take off approx 33% of these, to ensure the remaing bunches develop well and ripen properly (then you have to keep the birds off).

A grape vine is a tough plant and can take a reasonable amount of stress.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Kerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to all

When we moved in we had a mass of grape vine (lots of grapes) but a real mess. When it came to winter we cut 90% of it back and just left the main root.

Now its blossoming with lots of flowers and looks much better
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:10 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

What I do is I get a big flock of wildebeeste together, and then I herd it through the grapevine. (coat)
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
What I do is I get a big flock of wildebeeste together, and then I herd it through the grapevine. (coat)
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kerry W
When we moved in we had a mass of grape vine (lots of grapes) but a real mess. When it came to winter we cut 90% of it back and just left the main root.

Now its blossoming with lots of flowers and looks much better
And those grapes were delicious!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:48 am
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
Taxi for 1

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Driver_Once_More
Taxi for 1

Sounds like the popcorn is needed in this thread too - still want to share?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Start an Ouzo factory.