WHAT TO DO FIRST?

Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

3 Plumbs and a Ford is an unknown quantity at this point
Question WHAT TO DO FIRST?

Hi my name is Chris and my husband is Keith. We have 2 kids, Joe 17 and Katy 7. We have recently discussed emigrating and have decided to look closer into the pros and cons. My friend moved to Auckland a couple of years ago and is really happy. The problem is where to start and what to do first. We have never been to NZ, so I guess visiting it would be a sensible option, although expensive. I am also worried about my son who will be 18 in July. Will he be able to come with us? He has been working for a few months, but is still living with us and does not earn enough to support himself.

We have a house, should we rent it, or sell it?? Burn the bridges or keep the "safety net"??

We do not have trades/qualifications although lots of work experiences in banking, sales, secretarial, pre-school teaching. Would this be a problem?

So many questions, does anyone have any warnings or advice??

Look forward to hearing back from someone!

Thanks for reading. By the way it has been -10 for the past 2-3 nights, with day temperatures not rising above zero!!!!!!! Hope you are enjoying the summer down under!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: WHAT TO DO FIRST?

Kia Ora and welcome to the little NZ BE board.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Hi

Welcome to the site. I think your first place to start could be to look on the new zealand immigration site and go to the online Expression of Interest page. you can fill it in online a bit at a time and see how many points you gain to see if you could realistically apply for residency. You can also do the Points Indicator section first. All of these can be completed without being submitted so you are not committing to anything.

We are in the process of applying for residency. We went out last year for 4 weeks and loved it, but it was expensive for 5 of us. Our kids are 20, 18 and 15. Our 20 year old is applying separately with her boyfriend. Our 18 year old is on our application as he cannot support himself, and they can do this up to the age of 20. At the moment we are trying to pursuade the 15 year old that she does want to come, as she keeps changing her mind!

Anyway, good luck with your decision making, Lindsay
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: WHAT TO DO FIRST?

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for your response. Where are you based at the moment, and where are you thinking to reside?

There seems to be so many people making this move, they can't all be wrong!!

Good luck to you all, and keep in touch!

Chris, Keith, Joe and Katy x
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Hi

We are in Solihull, in the Midlands and we are looking at going to Auckland. We have 2 sets of friends who have gone over there and they are getting on great. We have our house up for sale as we want to reduce our mortgage and outgoings and put money towards a house rather than renting and having the stress of the rent in the uk covering the mortgage.

We have sent in our residency application, so if you have any questions we can help with, just fire away!

Love Lindsay, Dennis, Dan and Harriet x
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Have you got jobs already in NZ? I thought you had to have that first before being able to apply for residency? But I have probably got it wrong, it's a minefield!!

We are from Kent and are still unsure and very nervous!

Good luck and keep in touch!

Chris
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 Plumbs and a Ford
Hi,

Have you got jobs already in NZ? I thought you had to have that first before being able to apply for residency? But I have probably got it wrong, it's a minefield!!

Chris
Hi, some come blind you know..my wife Kate did..she loved it. You need to ask yourself 'what am I looking for in this move?' I think it worked soooooo well for us as our lives are sooooooooo different from what we left in the UK. Financially we are way better, we live in a small rural town and our neighbourhood is very,very different from the old one in Northampton. We love NZ very much..warts and all. We burnt our bridges and have no regerets....but some people have done the same and really regretted it. I needed to be here 100% in every way conceivable. Your older kids could find the move harder than our much younger ones..however you have to upset the boat somewhat in any case to do the move. It is a hard thing to do but has paid us handsomly in all respects. There's no going back for us!!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:24 am
Just Joined

nutchoc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - we have been here for 2 years now, our kids are 11 and 9. We had never been to NZ before, my husband came on a two week visit at the end of August 2006 & by the end of Oct 2006 we were all here...he doesn't hang about!

Have never been to Auckland - we are in a small town just north of Wellington.

Be aware that you will hand over shed loads of money - in the UK the whole family has to have a medical, adults have to have blood tests, and you also have to have a letter from the police proving that you are not a criminal. The NZ government also takes a fair slice.

The kids have coped well with the move although it was a shock for them to go from a village school with 80 pupils to one with well over 600!

Schools here have a 'decile rating' from 1 - 10 which supposedly reflects the socio-economic area around the school - the higher the number, the more well-off most of the families are (supposedly). You can look up the ERO (=OFSTED) reports of the schools online.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Chris
Kent! Whereabouts? we moved from Kent to Wellington in 2007 and love it here... Can understand your concerns... I suggest finding as much out about NZ as possible... look at seek.co.nz for jobs to identify where you best areas for getting jobs are... you can then use trademe.co.nz and open2view.com for looking at proerty in those areas! This forum is awesome for information so don't hold back with the questions... I found even watching the Big Yin's world tour of NZ really useful...

Best of luck deciding and stay in touch on the forum...

Simon
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: WHAT TO DO FIRST?

Hello and thanks for your reply. I am new to this and thought I was only relplying to one person, but hey I don't mind, we are currenly living in Boxley, Maidstone.

We are getting so excited about the prospect of moving to pastures new, well one day anyway, and then the next thinking "no we can't really do this, can we?" mode, bet that pushes some buttons with some of you?

It just seems so difficult to know where to start!

Well will leave it for a few days now, we are taking our daughter to Disneyland Paris this weekend, so lots to organise.

Thanks for your support and please keep in touch!

Chris x
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nutchoc1
Hi - we have been here for 2 years now, our kids are 11 and 9. We had never been to NZ before, my husband came on a two week visit at the end of August 2006 & by the end of Oct 2006 we were all here...he doesn't hang about!

Have never been to Auckland - we are in a small town just north of Wellington.

Be aware that you will hand over shed loads of money - in the UK the whole family has to have a medical, adults have to have blood tests, and you also have to have a letter from the police proving that you are not a criminal. The NZ government also takes a fair slice.

The kids have coped well with the move although it was a shock for them to go from a village school with 80 pupils to one with well over 600!

Schools here have a 'decile rating' from 1 - 10 which supposedly reflects the socio-economic area around the school - the higher the number, the more well-off most of the families are (supposedly). You can look up the ERO (=OFSTED) reports of the schools online.
Hi, thanks for your reply!

It is scaring me so much, especially with the little one. To be honest, the one thing that comes back time and time again is so positive, I have had no negative reasons for not moving out there, if of course, if we are accepted.

The biggest problem is sorting out what to do first and how to sort things out while working!!

Any info or websites would be greatly appreciated!

Keep in touch with us and thanks for replying in the first place!

Chris x
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi, thanks for your reply!

It is scaring me so much, especially with the little one. To be honest, the one thing that comes back time and time again is so positive, I have had no negative reasons for not moving out there, if of course, if we are accepted.

The biggest problem is sorting out what to do first and how to sort things out while working!!

Any info or websites would be greatly appreciated!

Keep in touch with us and thanks for replying in the first place!

Chris x
NZIS (immigration.govt.nz) website is the place to start. See if you have enough points to submit an EOI for residency. If not look into how to get a work permit.

Thats a start, once you know if you can apply for residency directly the rest will start to fall in place. so thats your starting point. There is a lot of things to consider, you need to take it systematically one step at a time rather than trying to answer everything at once.