Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to do in CHCH with kids?

What to do in CHCH with kids?

Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to do in CHCH with kids?

Is there anywhere we must visit when in Christchurch? Looking at going to international antarctic centre,on the tram,up on the gondola,botanic gardens but wondered if anyone had any suggestions of places they would go to. Will be using public transport and only there for 3 days. Arrive 0830am Wed 1st July after long flights from UK so will be having that as an easy day so really only Thu/Fri to do stuff. Any input appreciated. Boys will be 9 and 6 when we arrive.

Phyl x
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What to do in CHCH with kids?

You know, I would forget the gondola ride and go to QEII swimming pool with water slides. The gondola may have more interest for parents. The Antarctic Centre is a bit pricey. You could also try Willowbank. My kids really like it there.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree, go to the QE2 swimming baths, get a band when you go in to go down the slides, we had a great time with our 2 when we visited there.

You have probably got enough to do with all the other things as well, we went to the fudge making shop in ChCh, my kids loved that and got loads of fudge to try.

http://www.christchurchnz.com/canter...roductID=26473

Have a great time
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

You could hire a canoe/kayak in Hagley park and paddle on the avon, weather permitting of course, very reasonably priced and my kids loved it. We saw other people putting bread on the front of the canoe and the ducks would get onboard to eat it.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Our kids are a little younger but they loved:

- Ferrymead heritage park (steam train and tram rides)
- Willowbank Wildlife ... good kiwi house, as well as loads of other animals
- Akoroa Wildlife Cruise (to see the dolphins) . You can also do this from Lyttleton, which is closer to Christchurch by about 1 hr!!
- Canterbury Museum (Dinosaurs, Cars, motorbikes ... as well as some Maori exhibits) .. it's free too!!
- Orana Wildlife park (there is a bus from Cathedral Square)

Will pop back if I think of anything else,

Lou
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

The Antarctic Centre is excellent for a rainy day especially - try to time your arrival to penguin feeding time and they will enjoy the Hagglund ride or at least my similar aged kids did.
You can buy a family ticket which covers gondola, unlimited tram (doesn't take long hop on hop off) and a punt on the river..this is a good combo if the weather is kind. Gondola would be a waste of time if it is overcast and it is out of town but I think a bus goes there - there are also a couple of easy short walks you can do from top of gondola if weather good.

The Art Gallery is free (on tram route) and the Arts Centre (on tram route) is my recommendation for you - lots of nice arts and crafts shops to look at and nice cafes in historic building. Enjoy I really liked Christchurch!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

Another gem is the Aquatic Centre in the Cathedral Square in the building next to the information centre, not many people know about it but it is a great way to kill an hour and you can even see a live Kiwi running around in a box.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Well it's more like an indoor enclosure than a box, but yes the advantage of the kiwi house in the square is that it is actually light enough to see them.

I'd agree - Our kids love QE II, Orana Park and the Antarctic centre and the tram is worth a ride, you can be punted on the Avon if you prefer that to kayaking. Only been to Willowbank once, but it was nice there too. There's a teddy factory on Balmoral Road where the kids can choose their own ted, watch it be filled and have a "beating" heart placed inside, and then choose an outfit. You get a birth certificate and a little box in the shape of a house, but be warned it all adds up $$ and you can't just go in for a look because your kids are completely captivated from the moment they walk in the door.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:18 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

lock them in a sound proof box and go out?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
lock them in a sound proof box and go out?

Originally Posted by planty
You could hire a canoe/kayak in Hagley park and paddle on the avon, weather permitting of course, very reasonably priced and my kids loved it. We saw other people putting bread on the front of the canoe and the ducks would get onboard to eat it.
My OH and boys have canoes/kayaks of their own so think they may just try this if weather nice.Me...I think I'd rather sit in a cafe and watch CHCH go by

Thanks everyone for your suggestions,keep 'em coming

Phyl x