British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What did you wish you had while you waited fro your container... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-did-you-wish-you-had-while-you-waited-fro-your-container-639839/)

willand tina_h Nov 10th 2009 10:57 am

Re: What did you wish you had while you waited fro your container...

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8086803)
You can buy airbeds in NZ.........:blink:
Or camp beds.......:zzz:

The luxuries we afforded ourselves included a large screen laptop, lots of kids dvds, some books and kids toys plus plenty of layers even though it was summer, and some good footwear, which the boys almost immediately dispensed with!

But taking a furnished rental for the interim meant that we needed for not much really!

Opening the container was like multiple Christmases mind :thumbup:

lardly, hope you dont mind me asking, but how much did you pay for the furnished rental and was they hard to find? I know we are goin to a diff area, but it may give us some idea of what we are looking at, we are going to go into a motel for the first week or 2 at a push but would like to find somewhere asap.

Tina. x

MnB Nov 10th 2009 11:42 am

Originally Posted by teeym (Post 8086738)
That's a very good allowance? Who were you flying with? We got 20kg each on our recce trip, which just about catered for 3 weeks worth of pants and socks (and SWMBO's mobile shoe collection).

We have booked Air NZ flights, premium economy via LA ...allowed 64kg each in 2 suitcases + 14kg of hand luggage in 2 bags + laptop, camera & handbag. OH reckons he hasn't got 64kg worth of clothes......no worries more space for me!!! x

willand tina_h Nov 10th 2009 11:48 am

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8086950)
We have booked Air NZ flights, premium economy via LA ...allowed 64kg each in 2 suitcases + 14kg of hand luggage in 2 bags + laptop, camera & handbag. OH reckons he hasn't got 64kg worth of clothes......no worries more space for me!!! x

yay, I like the sound of that!!!!!!!!

I am finding all the flights pretty expensive at the moment, were much lower few weeks back, guees they will only get more expensive whent the time gets nearer.

Tina. x

Psychopandy Nov 10th 2009 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 8086759)
lol, if I am right I think that whoever you fly wiht as long as they go via LAX you can take 46 killos per person, all the flights that we are looking at we are trying to get a LA connection flight so we can have the extra baggange allowance, we too are then gonna take duvets and airbeds etc in the vacum bags. Someone please say if I am wrong.

Tina. x

We are going with singapore airlines via singapore (obviously :confused:) We have an email that says if we book a one way flight and have the stickers in our passports which havent been stamped (so they know this is the fist flight over i guess) then they will up our allowance to 40kg each!! which with 2 adults and 2 children will be more than we can actually carry.
time will tell if they honour this, but its what we have so far.
Might be worth checking them out eh.

Also - Crown have just taken our stuff and at the moment are quoting it should be there around mid january

Oh how i long for my microwave - i have to think about what im getting from the supermarket just in case!!

Oh well - the scarifice will be worth it, i hope xx

willand tina_h Nov 10th 2009 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Psychopandy (Post 8087830)
We are going with singapore airlines via singapore (obviously :confused:) We have an email that says if we book a one way flight and have the stickers in our passports which havent been stamped (so they know this is the fist flight over i guess) then they will up our allowance to 40kg each!! which with 2 adults and 2 children will be more than we can actually carry.

Also - Crown have just taken our stuff and at the moment are quoting it should be there around mid january

Oh how i long for my microwave - i have to think about what im getting from the supermarket just in case!!

psych

its so lovley to have you signing back on :rofl:

missed you, how are things going for you all? Not long now is it??

Make sure you keep in touch.

Take care

tina. x

willand tina_h Nov 10th 2009 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Psychopandy (Post 8087830)

Ahh, I jst looked at your timeline, and you are flying out on Harri's (the baby') 13th birthday so cannot foget you when you will be flying through the air and ove that ocean :eek: :eek: How much stuff did you send with crown? Thats who we going with.

tina. x

lardyl Nov 10th 2009 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 8086823)
lardly, hope you dont mind me asking, but how much did you pay for the furnished rental and was they hard to find? I know we are goin to a diff area, but it may give us some idea of what we are looking at, we are going to go into a motel for the first week or 2 at a push but would like to find somewhere asap.

Tina. x

we paid $430 a week as I recall for an old batch with a wetback woodburner, 2 bedrooms, a nice garage/garden and a great view of the sea
that was 3 years ago and it was high season - but it was hard to get it, we had to get the paper before it was delivered by going to the newspaper office and camping out until their sale copies were there :)

willand tina_h Nov 10th 2009 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8088245)
we paid $430 a week as I recall for an old batch with a wetback woodburner, 2 bedrooms, a nice garage/garden and a great view of the sea
that was 3 years ago and it was high season - but it was hard to get it, we had to get the paper before it was delivered by going to the newspaper office and camping out until their sale copies were there :)

Thanks lardy grat help, we did hear that they are a hard find. I cannot believe how expensive the motels are :confused: some i was lookinig at earlier were in the region of like 2,000 dollars for 10 days!!! Shocking, lol.

Tina. x

MnB Nov 10th 2009 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 8088526)
Thanks lardy grat help, we did hear that they are a hard find. I cannot believe how expensive the motels are :confused: some i was lookinig at earlier were in the region of like 2,000 dollars for 10 days!!! Shocking, lol.

Tina. x

Tina will pm you re flights & accom x

willand tina_h Nov 10th 2009 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8088535)
Tina will pm you re flights & accom x

thanks B
x x

Stoof Nov 11th 2009 12:20 am

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 8088526)

Tina. x

we got furnished place for 10 weeks whilst waiting for our container to arrive too... we contacted a load of places through holiday houses nz and bookabach - explained that we wanted this long period and asked what they could do to accommodate us... we ended up spending a bit more than we'd wanted to but they knocked us $100 per week off their usual weekly rate cos of the length of stay...also we arrived in the winter! ;) which probs helped! think we ended up paying $550 pw, but that included all the bills, heating etc, so not a bad deal really.

willand tina_h Nov 11th 2009 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 8088829)
we got furnished place for 10 weeks whilst waiting for our container to arrive too... we contacted a load of places through holiday houses nz and bookabach - explained that we wanted this long period and asked what they could do to accommodate us... we ended up spending a bit more than we'd wanted to but they knocked us $100 per week off their usual weekly rate cos of the length of stay...also we arrived in the winter! ;) which probs helped! think we ended up paying $550 pw, but that included all the bills, heating etc, so not a bad deal really.

thanks stoof. Have looked at a few on trademe last nite, will do so more searching too, may even ask around within my place of work, someone may be very helpfull to us or know someone who can.

Tina. x

Psychopandy Nov 11th 2009 6:55 am

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 8088194)
psych

its so lovley to have you signing back on :rofl:

missed you, how are things going for you all? Not long now is it??

Make sure you keep in touch.

Take care

tina. x

Its so nice you missed me :wub:

Ive been a bit stressy if im honest - should we go shouldnt we - holy shit and all that!!!
Crown came on Monday and took all the rest of our stuff - i have never seen out little flat looking so tidy i love it - i feel liberated!!!! (:wub:although i wish i had my microwave) One of the guys that came from crown was a chap that took all the rest of our stuff nearly 18 months ago and still remembered us, we were chatting about an old neighbour. It really has taken so long to get this far. It was all supposed to go in a 20ft container yesterday to set off across the sea very shortly after. When we have our password to log in anc check progress i will let you know how long it is likely to take.
We figured it would be easier to manage without stuff at this end while we can cadge stuff from family - however only one of our bestest friends has lent us his spare telly so far - oh, the sacrifices. We will manage - its not like i dont have other stuff (or a bloody oven)
I hate ovens and its electric - dont like them even more - and to add insult to injury im gonna have to clean it when we leave the flat to leave it shiny for someone else to get mucky!!! wheres the justice??
At least now all the stuff has gone i can concentrate on other pressing matters - like the leaving party. We are doing a fancy dress theme - im gonna be a lady bug!!! The diso is booked and the venue but apart from that i have done very little and its less than a month away. Really must pull ones fingers out. :thumbup:
Whats been happening with you all - i noticed all your porridge seems to have paid off! Seems like you are making plans now, has there been other stuff going on? i have missed so much!!!

bevissa65 Nov 11th 2009 6:56 am

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 8086650)
Hi Bev
When is stuff due to arrive to you? Who did you go with after? We are going with crown but they can take up to 16wks, so will be soo long without our creature comforts. Due to the mess up with my medical, we cannot get things sent off as early as we wanted to, we wanted to try and survive this side with the help of others rather than over in nz when morale will be low for all of us.

We orriginally wanted our things gone by middle of nov, no chance of that happening now thow, will be at least end of nov to beginning of dec, and thats with fingres and toes crossed that the MA shifts his/hers butt fast adn gives us the news that we want and quickly :fingerscrossed:

Tina. x

Hi Tina, we chose Pickfords, they seemed very professional when they quoted us and we liked the idea of 1 company doing both ends (so to speak :rofl:) and they price matched with the cheapest (PSS). The guys were very ggod and worked their socks off for 2 and a half days. The container left ours 16th Sept and is due into Auckland 20th Nov which makes it just over 9 weeks (if its on time) Hope that helps and you can get sorted soon. Love, Beverley xxx

MOSO Nov 11th 2009 8:00 am

Hi Beverley

If you phone Pickfords, you should be able to find out which boat your stuff is on, then you can track it via google or via the port website. We used Pickfords for the same reason as you (the same co. at both ends) and they were great.

The office here in Wellington were really good about keeping us informed about the MAF inspections. Our stuff took 7 weeks, 2 days. The guys at the NZ end turned up 30 mins early and worked all day. They made sure we had every single box, (which was quite amuzing as they called out a number for me to tick off, but with the NZ accent it sometimes took a bit of deciphering), they took all the plastic packaging off the boxes with them, split the carboard boxes open and built our beds for us, all in all a great service.

Enjoy your unpacking, it's SO good to get all your stuff again.