British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What did you wish you had while you waited fro your container... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-did-you-wish-you-had-while-you-waited-fro-your-container-639839/)

Cadibel Nov 9th 2009 5:15 pm

What did you wish you had while you waited fro your container...

Hi all,

We're thinking of sending our car on ahead, along with all the necessary things we can cram into it. The question is - what are those things? Can think of things like bedding, cutlery, crockery and pots/pans, but as room is limited, don't want to miss out on something obvious.

Did you have to buy anything while you waited for your container to arrive - if so, what?

Cheers for all your help:thumbsup:

TeamEmbo Nov 9th 2009 8:30 pm

Re: What did you wish you had while you waited fro your container...

I didn't think you were allowed to load/ship anything in the car :confused:

Jan n Neil Nov 9th 2009 10:53 pm

We borrowed bedding and towels, crockery and cutlery. We bought cheap saucepans but they went rusty :rofl: We ended up buying a cheap toaster but that blew up :rofl: We are in unfurnished so had to buy a bed, and a garden table which is inside at the moment for our dinners:rofl:

We know we will end up with two kettles and two toasters. Trademe anyone?? :rofl:

TeamEmbo Nov 9th 2009 11:55 pm

Altogether we were lent a car, fridge, washing machine, bed base, cane sofa and chairs, plates, cutlery, utensils, pots, pans, iron and ironing board. We stayed in a motel for the first two weeks till we moved into our house. The motel guy lent us the fridge and all bedding (for all 4 of us) and we took it back to him each week to be laundered and he swopped it for fresh bedding. Think he only charged $20 a week.

We hired from Rent Rite a microwave, tv, hoover and tumble drier.

We bought bath towels, electric blankets, 4x oil filled rads, clothes airer, dustpan and brush, blankets, mattress for youngest (slat bed in container), new bed for eldest as we'd left her high sleeper in UK, and a new mattress for us till our bed base arrived in container. We also got a cheap kettle, fire companion, restocked on pantry/baking items and cleaning stuff, coathangers, bedroom furniture - chests of drawers for all and dressing table, dining table and chairs, tea towels, pillows and probably heaps of other stuff I've forgotten.

love30stm Nov 10th 2009 3:55 am

We were lent beds table and chairs. Tv bedding fridge, kettles and sofas, but we bought saucepans, cutlery glasses plates and crockary and bought a laptop and dvd recorder while we waited for our container, which when it arrived it was like christmas opening and getting our stuff :)

Jan n Neil Nov 10th 2009 3:57 am

I think Mandie is right i dont think u
can stuff the car full of stuff

Neil

Cadibel Nov 10th 2009 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8086085)
I think Mandie is right i dont think u
can stuff the car full of stuff

Neil

Yes, we thought this was the case - and it was through all the usual peeps -Anglo Pacific/ Fox/ Allied Pickfords - but this one is mainly just for cars and with no house packing, so to speak. So hoping they know what they're talking about!:fingerscrossed:

BEVS Nov 10th 2009 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Cadibel (Post 8086244)
So hoping they know what they're talking about!:fingerscrossed:

Who is it?

I also thought you couldn't do this with a car, although I do know of a family that did this with a caravan.

Psychopandy Nov 10th 2009 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Cadibel (Post 8084541)
Hi all,

We're thinking of sending our car on ahead, along with all the necessary things we can cram into it. The question is - what are those things? Can think of things like bedding, cutlery, crockery and pots/pans, but as room is limited, don't want to miss out on something obvious.

Did you have to buy anything while you waited for your container to arrive - if so, what?

All the rest of our stuff went yesterday - oh how i miss my microwave - upside - the place has never looked so tidy - i feel liberated :thumbsup:- except for the microwave :thumbdown:
Next stop, Hamilton x

bevissa65 Nov 10th 2009 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Cadibel (Post 8084541)
Hi all,

We came via LA and got 46kg each (3 of us) I crammed in airbeds, quilts (in those wonderful bags you vacuum the air out of...bloody brilliant) a set of bedding each, some towels, lots of clothes of course and somewhat bizarrely i decided we would need some place mats, coasters, bottle opener and my favourite veg peeler!!!! :rofl: Think I flipped in the last few days :rofl: We brought all the kitchen stuff from Warehouse (some good, some bad) got new fridge/freezer, washing machine and outside furniture to use inside and borrowed a portable telly we rarely use!! I miss having my "things" around me. Well, and proper furniture of course!! Bev xx:thumbsup:

bevissa65 Nov 10th 2009 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Psychopandy (Post 8086406)
All the rest of our stuff went yesterday - oh how i miss my microwave - upside - the place has never looked so tidy - i feel liberated :thumbsup:- except for the microwave :thumbdown:
Next stop, Hamilton x

God, microwave!! How much you miss the things you take for granted. Do you know how many things I've taken out of the freezer to defrost and remembered the microwave is somewhere on the ocean?? :rofl:

willand tina_h Nov 10th 2009 9:33 am

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 8086416)
God, microwave!! How much you miss the things you take for granted. Do you know how many things I've taken out of the freezer to defrost and remembered the microwave is somewhere on the ocean?? :rofl:

Hi Bev
When is stuff due to arrive to you? Who did you go with after? We are going with crown but they can take up to 16wks, so will be soo long without our creature comforts. Due to the mess up with my medical, we cannot get things sent off as early as we wanted to, we wanted to try and survive this side with the help of others rather than over in nz when morale will be low for all of us.

We orriginally wanted our things gone by middle of nov, no chance of that happening now thow, will be at least end of nov to beginning of dec, and thats with fingres and toes crossed that the MA shifts his/hers butt fast adn gives us the news that we want and quickly :fingerscrossed:

Tina. x

teeym Nov 10th 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 8086413)
We came via LA and got 46kg each

That's a very good allowance? Who were you flying with? We got 20kg each on our recce trip, which just about catered for 3 weeks worth of pants and socks (and SWMBO's mobile shoe collection).

willand tina_h Nov 10th 2009 10:31 am

Originally Posted by teeym (Post 8086738)
That's a very good allowance? Who were you flying with? We got 20kg each on our recce trip, which just about catered for 3 weeks worth of pants and socks (and SWMBO's mobile shoe collection).

lol, if I am right I think that whoever you fly wiht as long as they go via LAX you can take 46 killos per person, all the flights that we are looking at we are trying to get a LA connection flight so we can have the extra baggange allowance, we too are then gonna take duvets and airbeds etc in the vacum bags. Someone please say if I am wrong.

Tina. x

lardyl Nov 10th 2009 10:50 am

You can buy airbeds in NZ.........:blink:
Or camp beds.......:zzz:

The luxuries we afforded ourselves included a large screen laptop, lots of kids dvds, some books and kids toys plus plenty of layers even though it was summer, and some good footwear, which the boys almost immediately dispensed with!

But taking a furnished rental for the interim meant that we needed for not much really!

Opening the container was like multiple Christmases mind :thumbup: